Isle of Wight ferries?

RogerThat

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get over to the Isle of Wight this year, has anyone here made the trip in a motorhome?

Doesn't matter where we 'land' really, so long as we can set off from the mainland somewhere near the A3 (Portsmouth?)

Any recommended routes? Best time of day to travel? Best day of the week?

Looking to spend three or four days over there, also planning on travelling to the port the day before so any local sites near by for a single nights stay?

We have travelled to the IoW a few times in our motorhome (7.6 metre length) and crossed with Red Funnel via Southampton to Cowes. They do some good offers of short breaks to about 3 sites on the island and we have stopped at Waverley Park which is 5 minutes away from the Cowes ferry terminal and ideally placed to shop at Waitrose in the town, catch busses to most parts of the island, sometimes via Newport, in fact we made pigs of ourselves using our bus passes.

You said Portsmouth for a crossing but Southampton is just down the road and easy to get to the port. As for sites if you don't mind a Caravan Club site, Rookesbury Park is one that we like which is not far from the ports.

Have a look at this link http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/isle-of-wight-holidays/camping/

Alan

There are 3 main routes to ryde (Vehicle)

1 Portsmouth to Ryde (Fishbourne) Wight Link

2 Southampton to Cowes Red Funnel

3 Lymington to Yarmouth not sure who runs that one.

You may be off getting a "package" deal ie Camp Site plus ferry, as the Ferry is quiet expensive for the length of the crossing .

PJay

Hi

We go most years to IOW for the music festival in June and stay at Waverley Park in Cowes.

We book the Southampton to Cowes ferry directly through Waverly as you get a very good discount on the crossing.

Hope this helps.

We crossed from Southampton to Cowes. Approaching from the east, we made the mistake of not realising Itchen Bridge's toll for vehicles over 2.39m at the front axle was £25. We were allowed through to divert away from the bridge but not to cross it. We missed the ferry because it was difficult to find our way around the bridge with a basic satnav - we relied on our map in the end - and we'd been delayed on the motorway for an hour.

We found motorhome parking at the Southampton Ferry Terminus to wait for the ferry was OK but getting to the terminus was not so easy - hordes of people were returning from a festival on the IOW so the roads were clogged up. Parking at Cowes was limited when we came back - the ferries were running late because of bad weather. Our van is only 6m long. The Red Funnel ferry itself was OK, not the cleanest though.

We went on a 4 day Caravan Club package which kept down costs. Other packages are available and there is no shortage of campsites - most looked pretty good. Didn't see anyone wild camping. Driving around was no different to the mainland. We're glad we went but apart from Osbourne House and the local pub, we didn't experience anything that would encourage us to return.

My advice is avoid the festivals and tatty Sandown.

Before crossing, we stayed at the CC site at Bognor Regis which was up to the usual standards except for traffic noise. It was a useful base for seeing classic cars attending the Goodwood Festival road runs. Rookesbury Park is a better site but take care if walking dogs in the forest.

If you are in the Camping and Caravanning Club, they have a couple of locations they regularly use as temporary holiday sites (THS) on the island, which offer excellent value. Check the dates they are operating, but no need to book, just turn up.

We stayed at both of them a couple of years ago, in August. They were great - one on the south-east coast was vast and offered great views of light aircraft flying into the adjacent airfield, which the THS overlooks - no night time flying and absolutely no bother to us during the day - good fun watching them taking off and landing in the distance.

The other site was more in the middle of the island and smaller; more intimate. Both locations, the rally officers were friendly, helpful and easy going. And as I mentioned, the prices were extremely reasonable, especially for the summer school holidays.

Can't remember exactly which ferries we used, but chose different routes out and back. Had some Tesco vouchers left which paid for the crossing.

Have an enjoyable trip, we did.

Mike

We've also been over using Red Funnel offer. Their 5 day break is cheaper than the CC 4 day. Red Funnel now have 3, 5 and 10 days breaks on offer. We also stayed at Waverley, great location for Cowes and Osborne House. Some of the other sites they offer are a bit remote.

RogerThat - 2016-04-27 9:31 PM

Doesn't matter where we 'land' really, so long as we can set off from the mainland somewhere near the A3 (Portsmouth?)

We've been going to the IOW on and off for 60 years and more. Staying in a variety of places and on a variety of sites. Originally in Military Camps.

You only have 2 choices where you land. Southampton to Yarmouth serves mainly West Wight. Portsmouth to Fishbourne will take you close to Newport and Ryde.

We didn't like the CC site, it was too closed in with high hedging, its cramped and inclined to be wet, but is close to a cycle path.

We always choose one of two very open sites to stay, both have lots of space with wide views. One is Carpenters Farm between Brading and St Helens.

The other is right on the coast overlooking the sea at about 200 ft and can be windy, this one is Grange Farm at Brighstone Bay. Although countrified both have electrics.

There is a large Tesco for all foods on the Brading Road outside Ryde.

Our reason for the IOW visit nowadays is to see the free annual open air Classic Car Show on the Quay at Newport beside the river Medway, a first class event. This year on the 17th & 18th September.

Will86 - 2016-04-28 5:05 PM

RogerThat - 2016-04-27 9:31 PM

We've been going to the IOW on and off for 60 years and more. Staying in a variety of places and on a variety of sites. Originally in Military Camps.

You only have 2 choices where you land. Southampton to Yarmouth serves mainly West Wight. Portsmouth to Fishbourne will take you close to Newport and Ryde.

You have actually 3 choices of Car Ferry - Portsmouth to Fishbourne, Southampton Cowes and Lymington to Yarmouth. The ramp at Fishbourne is a bit steep and if you have a large rear overhang might give you a problem if you don't take it easy getting off the ferry. Southampton to Cowes is a good crossing and if you are early you can park in the adjacent sea front car park for a charge but if only a short time I haven't bothered as you can get onto the Red Funnel car park usually, book in a grab a coffee in the café while you wait.

If you are looking for a site on the Western end of the island you may be better off using the Lymington to Yarmouth ferry to avoid having to drive from Cowes via Newport ( the center of the universe for the island) to the western end.

Alan

We went on the five night deal from Southampton (always been from Portsmouth in the past) I had never been to southampton before but found the parking there was excellent, we to stopped at Waverly, dead easy to find off the ferry, nice terraced hard standing pitches all flat.

the only problem for me was, emptying the chemical toilet, couldn't get near it in the van and being walking disabled I found it difficult but otherwise, really nice site, this was in October when we went.

Pete

we have just returned from a 5 night package using Red Funnel from Southampton, and staying at Whitefield Forest site near Ryde. Excellent location with buses a minute or so from the site into Ryde, or Shanklin/Ventnor,

In fact we had three days travel around the Island on the buses and really enjoyed that.

As stated previously, the cost was cheaper than 4 days using the CC and the Southampton terminal is generally more accessible than Lymington,, unless you live in Bournemouth/New Forest area.

For both Southampton and Cowes terminal, the Red Funnel website gives correct accurate post codes, but I am very wary of the SatNav information for driving across the Island, as there are many roads unsuitable for other than very small campervans. ,

Whilst we used the SatNav to some ,extent,, we did follow the main road signs to the towns, rather than the S-N directions.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I probably should have mentioned, I'll be going over there to visit my dad so for the duration of the trip I'll be able to park up at his house and hook up to his mains too so sites on the IOW won't be necessary for this trip. Maybe next year if we go for longer :)

We'll definitely need somewhere to stay in England the night before we sail as it's going to take the best part of six hours to drive to the south coast (not including tea breaks).

I had a look at some of the ferry sites you all mentioned (thanks again), the one thing I did notice was the wild fluctuation in price during the various school holiday seasons. So mental note, book the trip for a week that the kids are still in school. I'll also be sure to book it when there are no festivals on :D

The MH is 6m long but stands just over 3m due to the overcab bed so I'll bear that in mind too.

I'll scan the ferry sites some more :)

RogerThat - 2016-05-03 6:39 PM

Interesting idea!

I know he gets cheap crossings in his car for being a resident, I'll have to find out!

You may find that the crossing has to start on the island ! Also the vehicle may have to be registered to a resident. My sister in law used to live there, but the cheap fares where only for them. Of course it may be different now, as it was some years age

PJay

When we went over to the IOW last September, we booked through the CC [its overseas team!]. They gave us a lower price than the CC's advertised deal by changing the ferry provider to Red Funnel from Southampton. He said it was not only cheaper, but they threw in a cruise down the Solent.

Archived