Euro tunnel

I travelled on eurotunnel four weeks ago, I couldn't find any cheaper fares for the tunnel elswhere, cost £104 one way which I thought was reasonable, I don't think they charge extra for dogs, they also provide an easy to understand booking service online. Ferry would have been half the price for me, but as storm Katie was at it's strongest there would have been delays on ferry and the crossing would have been a bit bumpy.

Hi and welcome.

You can get a small discount if you are in either of the two caravan clubs About 10% off I seem to remember.

It will come quite pricey when you add the dogs, which you do need to pay for,about 30 pounds for each of them.

You can't book them through the club booking service, you will need to go direct to Eurotunnel and add them to your booking.

The usual booking tricks stand. Keep away from weekends,bank holidays, school holidays and middle of the day trains.

Just leaves the the 2am train on Thursday morning!

All the best

HWO

Hi,

Our last journey back from our place in France ... we left Dinan at about 11pm, drove steadily to the Tunnel terminal, scarcely saw another vehicle, got the vet out of bed to check the dogs (I don't know if that is still done), caught the first train of the day. Still early in UK, light traffic till we hit the M25. Arrived in Swansea at about 11AM. The best part of 600 miles in 12 hours, and I don't think we exceeded any speed limit.

As soon as we arrived home, I climbed into bed, spent the next three months sleeping up to 20 hours a day, before the NHS decided I had a subdural haematoma, and drilled a hole in my head. I hate to say it, but I would have been better seeing a French doctor, had the operation the following day ... but that's a different rant. :-D

itz - 2016-04-28 7:34 PM

I travelled on eurotunnel four weeks ago, I couldn't find any cheaper fares for the tunnel elswhere, cost £104 one way which I thought was reasonable, I don't think they charge extra for dogs, they also provide an easy to understand booking service online. Ferry would have been half the price for me, but as storm Katie was at it's strongest there would have been delays on ferry and the crossing would have been a bit bumpy.

That's exactly the same fare I paid in Jan with return in May. Used Track vouchers and paid £9 for the return trip....not bad me thinks.

lancepar - 2016-04-29 12:08 PM

Off thread.

Why do Eurotunnel charge £18.00 for dogs? How do they justify that?

Rip-off comes to mind.

B-)

It used to be £18 pounds but is now £30 per dog. We have two. But it is not just eurotunnel that charge the ferry companies also charge. When I first questioned it I was told it was not for carraigeways but for the administration of their return journey. At eurotunnel this means calling at the Pet Passport Control (which is a new building now) and having the documentation checked. They hand over a microchip reader for you to pass over the dog(s) and simply make sure that everything is in order. It still seems a lot of money for the amount of work and Tesco vouchers cannot be used against it. This means we have to pay £60 to bring our dogs back into the country.

David

Archived