Towing

Tea man

Can anyone help I am thinking of getting a smart car on a trailer. I would like to tow it to Spain through France, can any one tell me if a chassuon 97 on a fiat ducato 130 has the power to tow it ok. Is there any laws I have to look out for?

Thanks for your help

Hi Stuart,

Prior to 2013 (?) a Cat. B licence could tow a 750kg MGW trailer, even if other restrictions said it couldn't. (Tow-car had 3500kg MGW, or trailer was heavier than the tow-car, etc). Now I just don't know ... academic, as I have a Cat.B+E.

I do know that a Cat.B licence can NOW drive a combined MGW of 3,500kg with no other restrictions, other than subject to the manufactures towing limit for the vehicle.

A Cat.B+E can drive 3500kg MGW, and for all practical purposes, tow another 3500kg MGW. A heavier trailer requires air brakes ... which you can't afford. ;-)

Google WHAT CAN I TOW. I keep reading the DVLA advice, but it makes my brain hurt.

W3526602 - 2016-04-30 8:00 PM

Hi Stuart,

Prior to 2013 (?) a Cat. B licence could tow a 750kg MGW trailer, even if other restrictions said it couldn't. (Tow-car had 3500kg MGW, or trailer was heavier than the tow-car, etc). Now I just don't know ... academic, as I have a Cat.B+E.

I do know that a Cat.B licence can NOW drive a combined MGW of 3,500kg with no other restrictions, other than subject to the manufactures towing limit for the vehicle.

A Cat.B+E can drive 3500kg MGW, and for all practical purposes, tow another 3500kg MGW. A heavier trailer requires air brakes ... which you can't afford. ;-)

Google WHAT CAN I TOW. I keep reading the DVLA advice, but it makes my brain hurt.

Not sure what you mean by, "even if other restrictions said it couldn't", however, the Licence entitlement only applies to the License. It does not override other restrictions they must still be complied with.

For example if a person has a Licence allowing them to tow 750kg all up weight, but their Mini Car has a tow weight of just 250kg, they would be breaking the law.

The 750kg max limit is for Trailer and it's load, which in the example above and a Smart car is likely to be about 1600kg with Fluids, full Petrol tank, etc?

Sorry, you probably don't mean it as it's written, just trying to make it clear for other readers?

You are right the towing laws are difficult to fathom.

Archived