Italy - Do we need to book?

Bubbles o_O

Hi,

We are travelling down to italy for 1 month from July 25th to late august and i dont know if i should book campsites now or just rock up as we go.

Can anyone offer advise on this?

Also any recommended awesome campsites would be appreciated, we are traveling down the west coast, probably as far as Naples then across and up the east coast to Venice.

Ideal spots would be a town with a campsite on the outskirts on/near beach. And internal beauty spots etc.

Thank you

Dominic

We have had to try a couple of sites before we found a pitch in Northern Italy in July.

Especially bad on the coast road heading towards France. We were finally crammed onto a pitch where tree branches had to be held back to let us in and out.

It would appear that summer weekends see every campsite and hotel bed on the coast jammed full and priced accordingly.

August is always busy with families and hot. The busy camping season is short. Campsites on the beach near the big cities are likely to be very busy with lots of families staying for several weeks and they take everything and the kitchen sink and the fridge and cover the whole pitch with shade.

If you're only going to stop a night or three, I'd take a chance, if you want to stop for a week somewhere special, I'd book.

Campsites in Italy can be very expensive, especially those with lots of facilities or with good beach access. in many places, access to the beach is only possible via a beach club (paying for a lounger and umbrella). There may be a small length of public beach.

There was a story in the press last week about a crackdown on beach clubs owned by organised crime and the mafia near Roma.

Int Camping Baia Verde Punta Ala nr Grossetto is on the beach, in a forest, and huge but when its quiet very nice. I note looking at the ACSI website its peak price is €50 per night though !

Have a look at the ACSI web site for campsites and places you might like to visit

cheers alan

Archived