20 berth campercoach!

jb6981

We saw a similar work of art in the upper Rhine Valley a few years ago.

After worries that it was mass immigration it turned out to be a touring group of keen cyclists who travel to scenic rides and meet up back at the coach at the end for a party and maybe even a bit of kip eventually!

Must admit they were having a whale of a time and it looked like great fun.

As Lenny said, we also saw this many years ago in France on a camp site, with the kitchen trailer

:looks like you sleep in box! don't fancy it myself When we saw it the coach was also red. We had to move pitch so that the site could accommodate this monster

PJay

Yes, I remember seeing one of these in Greece with the kitchen trailer, and he was made to back onto a small ferry, like a landing craft, as the arrival point was not good for reversing off the ferry. The driver was brilliant, and made it look easy. That was a long time ago in the early 80s.

We have seen this 'coach hotel' each year in the Loire on the same site. The trailer houses all the bikes and the kitchen is the first locker from the front where various sections slide out. The other lockers house the long tables and numerous chairs for the entourage. The people who are on the tour appear to be very keen cyclists who wear the full racing team kit and are out most of the day - I should imagine when they get back to their 'box' they just crash out. The tour guides are very slick at breaking it all down and storing items away ready for the off the next day.

Alan

Thety have been around for a long time. Our 1st encounter was in Scotland in summer of 1972 or 1973. All sleeping pods & kitchen in a trailer as long as the coach. Feet first entry into the sleeping pod was hilarious, I think it must have been their 1st night of the experience.

We came across a Rotel Campercoach at the Acsi campsite in St Emilion in June 2014. We wondered why the site info said they were" popular with coaches" and then it arrived!

It was not towing a trailer and it had a pullout kitchen in one of the underfloor lockers.The guests were mainly German women of a certain age but we were shown their brochure showing tours in most continents and were told the more far flung trips attracted a younger clientele and not just Germans. We expressed interest in their trips in South America but have yet to follow it up.

The tour guide then offered us some of their evening meal as they had a surplus. We readily accepted as did our neighbouring Irish campers but the others we spoke to declined being suspicious that anyone would offer something for nothing. Nowt so strange as folk!

Reminds me of the "Sleeping Pod" hostel-type accommodation being offered in Japanese cities.  I think you would need to be japanese-sized and immune from claustrophobia to cope with sleeping in one of these!

We were parked outside a Chateau in France last year and got blocked in by one of these -e were in no rush so we watched the arrival of the cyclists, the serving of the meal etc - all very jolly and German-style sociable.  Each to his  own.

When we looked at the Rotel brochure it reminded us of the Minitrek brochure in the mid to late sixties selling similar tours to the "Hippy minded" and advertised in such devious publications as Exchange and Mart and Time Out! Some of their tours could be done in a 52 seater coach rather than a LWB LandRover they used but in places further afield they had a good reputation as the guides loved their job and the country they were guiding.

Now in our late sixties our concern is how can you leave your "sleep capsule " in the middle of the night for a wee!

Saw something like this at camping Fucina near Venice in 1994 but had the kon-tiki logo on it. Not sure kon-

tiki tours exist anymore. Certainly a cheap way to see Europe, but you must have to be a fairly sociable type.

My daughter did an overland adventure trip during a gap year, from London to Katmandu (Nepal) and they went in an army-type off road lorry which carried them (on benches) and lots of camping gear. They stayed in hostels and even hotels sometimes, but sometimes they camped in isolated areas such as dessert, under the stars.

They had to travel from London to Dover by public transport because it is illegal (except for the military) to carry passengers in the back of a lorry - and thereafter they did the whole journey perched on wooden benches.  The left UK in February and as they got to Romania they were driving through snow, on ice.  No heating of course but it warmed up soon after, as they got into the Middle East.

Their route had to take account of which countries would let them in after their passports showed they had been through Israel and when they got to Pakistan the females has to dress with a full covering robe - which my feminist daughter really resented.  From her viewpoint it was the worst and most humiliating element of the trip - but fortunately she seemed to manage not to say that out loud until after she had left that country.  The roughing it in squalid accommodation and camping in the wilderness she took in her stride.

It was mostly young people on the trip but there was an "old couple" (in their fifties!) who apparently took it all in their stride.  The rough terrain would have made mincemeat of even a German built coach-type vehicle, so it had to be a tough military lorry.

Good character-building stuff but not my cup of tea - well not nowadays anyway.  I like my motorhome's proper shower, comfortable bed, twin TVs and air conditioning.

Archived