Omnistore Fiamma awning removal

laimeduck

We have an Omnistore 5002 3.5 metre awning which I need to take off to re-apply some Sikaflex behind the fittings.
The awning appears to be attached to the fixing brackets using 4 pop rivets per bracket.

However the instructions appear to show the fixing using self tapping screws?

Has anyone any experience of removing an awning like this and will stainless self tappers do the job?

Any advice would be appreciated before I drill the pop rivets out.

Hi..

..I suppose some will say that "technically" stainless and aluminium shouldn't be in contact with each other..but in the general scheme of things, a few neat, quality S/S screws probably wouldn't hurt..

(The "boaties" on here may be able recommend some form of grease to use, to act as a barrier?).

Having said that, isn't the "box" that it self-taps into actually steel?.. if so, it'd only be the clearance holes in the brackets that'd need a "barrier"? (grease?..fibre/nylon washers?)

My one concern would be the size of the holes left by the pop-rivets? (..would they be too big a dia' for a tidy, neat headed s/tapper?)..If needs be, I'd just look at borrowing/hiring/buying a decent pop rivet gun.

(of the two Fiammas we've had, one had self-tappers, the other had pop-rivets. I can't recall what our Omnistor had)

Edit: If the existing rivets still have a steel "stem" within then, then try to *punch them, at least partially through, before trying to drill them out. Otherwise you risk the drill wandering off course!

(* you may need someone to hold a hammer or weight on the other side to stop it from just bouncing?).

...AND MIND THE CHUCK DOESN'T SCUFF AGAINST THE VAN WALL! (!)

;-)

Archived