Fiat Ducato 2004 engine battery

graspa

I have a Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD 2004 (A class Laika). I recently removed the engine battery to treat the battery tray with Hammerite. It was an advisory on the last MOT, which would probably turn into a failure next time round, so said the man at the garage.

I am not normally one to get under the bonnet, but I thought that removing a battery, apply a lick or two of paint and replace the battery, would be within the bounds of my limited capability. Wrong!

The battery was fully charged before I started (just returned from a trip away). I took the battery out disconnecting the negative terminal first. I reversed this (attaching positive then negative) putting it back in a week or so later.

Turning the key in the ignition now has no effect. No lights on the dashboard.

The only thing that seems to now work is the Remote Central Locking (I thought at first it was maybe working off the leisure battery, but I disconnected the engine battery, and it no longer worked). The indicator lights still come on (also on the dashboard) when the RCL is activated.

The only thing that I can think of is that I have blown a fuse, but which one? According to the vehicle handbook, there are some on the top of the battery (CBA = Control Unit on Battery), but these don't look like the normal fuses I have replaced elsewhere in the vehicle, and appear to be bolted in, so I have been loath to fiddle about.

As I am not one to fiddle about under the bonnet, I have no electrical testing equipment.

Has anybody got any bright ideas? Or do I need to get an auto electrician in?

Many thanks!

it could be a dodgy earth. if you have any jump leads, put a jump lead from the earth terminal on the battery to a good clean earth point on the vehicle and see what happens. if the dash lights come on and the vehicle starts, then you need to remove the earth cable from the battery and find out where it is fastened to the vehicle, undo it, clean the area and re fasten.

Could be any number of things does any thing else work lights, hazard etc I ask this as some alarms have a built in power supply to last if battery disconnected my jeep worked a month after battery had been disconnected. So is there life in battery some fail after being tipped side ways did you clean battery terminals and clamps prior to reassembly I've replaced a battery only to have to remove clamps and clean them.

I would start with the suggestion made by Witzend and suspect that the starter battery has failed.

If the starter battery is original, it is about 12 years old. This is a old for a lead acid battery.

My 2.8 JTD PVC dates from 2006. I have considered how to get the battery out and it seems that you have to tilt it considerably in order to remove it. This tilting as suggested by Wizend could cause an old battery to fail.

By way of illustration, last year the 15 year old battery in our frequently used family Astra failed with very little warning, and without any disturbance although the event had been expected for some time.

May I suggest the obvious. Either, test or get the battery checked, this will be a lot cheaper than calling in an auto electrician. The simplest way is to buy a test meter and check the battery voltage. A fully charged battery that has been standing will show about 12.6 volts, anything less than 12.0 volts equals a dead battery. That way you will not feel obliged to buy a battery at the testing site, and will be able to choose your supplier.

You suggest that you have blown a fuse, but if you have proceeded as you relate above and disconnected the battery negative terminal first, there should be know way for a fuse to blow. (It is a sensible precaution to fasten the battery negative lead, or shield it so that it cannot come into unintended contact with the battery negative terminal.)

Fuses. Yes there are probably three Midi fuses on CBA under a clip on plastic cover at the battery positive terminal. You would have known if you had blown these fuses!

For the benefit of the forum, please post the eventual outcome

Archived