Buying a LHD...?

LucyK

Hello again,

I was just wandering what your thoughts are on buying a LHD for UK and Europe use? We will be in France every summer but UK for the rest of the time. We've been searching for a motorhome for a while and have found something ideal that fits our needs in our budget but is LHD. Are we crazy to consider it? Would it effect resale value? We've not driven LHD vehicles before.

Thank you !!

Lucy

Our current van is our first LHD one wouldn't even consider a RHD now. 90% of our mileage is over the ditch makes life so much easier.

Biggest advantage is you can sell or trade it anywhere in Europe with a RHD you can only sell it in the UK .

Our last van was RHD had to keep my fingers crossed when selling as new van was on order, if it had been LHD and I hadn't sold it dealer would have taken it in part ex.

When we bought our van, we did consider buying LHD, as we new we would spend most of our time over the water. We decided that RHD was better for us, as (and more available) the roads over in France /Spain are not as busy as UIK. You need two people in van if driving 0n the wrong side of road IMO , you need a look out. So if you use mainly in UK I would stick to RHD

Others will come along and say different , but Hey Ho !

IMO it helps to be able to see through the van, rather than depending on mirrors, but then I am of the old school, and learnt to drive using hand signals, and silly little arms that came out of the side of car!!

PJay

Thank you! I love this forum, it's been so useful and informative (-:

It's a Dethleffs Globetrotter I53 and has a window at the back. It's fairly old (2000) but has good mileage and in good condition

LucyK - 2016-05-05 8:46 AM

Hello again,

I was just wandering what your thoughts are on buying a LHD for UK and Europe use? We will be in France every summer but UK for the rest of the time. We've been searching for a motorhome for a while and have found something ideal that fits our needs in our budget but is LHD. Are we crazy to consider it? Would it effect resale value? We've not driven LHD vehicles before.

Thank you !!

Lucy

No not crazy. A LHD will be harder to sell in the UK and will be valued at less but as you should buy for less not a great problem. I see no real difference in driving, any competent driver will cope easily with a wheel on the wrong side.. We have always had RHD vans but no problem at all in euro land, in fact I have driven a lot of miles in LHD cars in Europe I personally prefer RHD, you will soon get used to either.

I've been driving a LHD van for nearly 15 years, mostly in mainland Europe.

The only problems I've encountered in UK is turning out of an acute T junction. You really need to have the assistance of a passenger or have a van with a window in the habitation area directly behind the passenger seat.

Also, on the approach to roundabouts you need to hold back a tad to give the best view of vehicles circulating on the roundabout.

Apart from those 2 aspects, you shouldn't have too much difficulty driving a LHD vehicle in the UK. A few years ago we toured Scotland for a over a month and didn't have a problem.

If you drive say 50/50 in UK/Europe then LHD is probably for you. If predominantly UK then RHD would probably be the better option.

Archived