Automatic MH and towing A frame

So things have not worked out too well with the current arrangement, clutch leg causing huge problems. One possibility is to switch to an automatic MH, drove auto cars for years. Considering a Mercedes based 2.7 litre auto. Question is whether that would be happy towing an A frame mi Smart car or similar as local gadding about at sites visiting different places is just not working with the van.

Have 'A' framed with 3 litre Merc auto for 5 or 6 years no problem.

Scotland to Venice and Scotland to Berlin on 6 week wanders plus many shorter UK trips with Matiz on tow.

Only problem is remembering to use the clutch when in the Matiz!

Towing with an A-frame is fine, in the UK, i used to tow a quite heavy Toyota Yaris, behind an Autotrail Savannah, 2.3 engine quite man enough to tow it, manual gearbox, but Fiat Autos are only robotized manuals anyway. Not sure whether Mercedes are using robotized manuals or torque converter boxes these days ?

It depends on the age of the Merc. Early 2000's models had what Mercedes called the Durashift box which is a manual with a computer control. It all seems to work quite well as long as the hydraulic system is working. Look on the US forums regarding issues with this. Late model Mercedes use a torque converter with a 7 speed grearbox, so your choice is based on the size of your wallet.

All vans come with a towing weight limit and if you are inside this, then there should be no problem. However, be prepared to be much slower along the road as after all you are adding a lot of weight. Again, as with everything these days, if what you are using is not up to spec, then problems may occur. This is more important if the vehicle is of a certain age. So, ensure what you are using is completely roadworthy and in top condition, and things should go fine.

Some MHs with an automatic gearbox option specify a different towing limit from the manual gearbox version  and the difference can be spectacular, so you do need to check.

For example I really wanted to buy a Hymer S830 of the type manufactured in 2005-2006 because they ticked all the boxes.  But only a few were made and they were probably all automatics - and the book said that while the manual version you could tow 2,000 kg, with the automatic this was reduced to only 750 kg.  I wanted to tow a car on a trailer, so 750 kg was not enough.  (2,000 kg would have been more than enough.)

I made exhaustive enquiries, ending up with Mercedes Benz UK asking their German colleagues to look into it.  What was the limiting factor with an automatic gearbox and could any modifications be made to increase the towing capacity to meet my needs.

It turned out that the gearbox, prop shaft and final drive had all been specified for a 750 kg towing limit, so I was snookered.  It would be far  to expensive to replace them all with heavier stuff.

There are automatics which do cope with higher towing loads - but check.

Archived