spare wheel

tazdog6007

bought a chausson flash 610.that does not come with a spare wheel. so,sourced one on ebay.the size is 215/65r/ c16. this is a ford transit wheel 2014-2016. the wheels on the transit based chausson are 235/65r/c16. the only difference seems to be in the size across the tread.now...the question is will this tyre size be o.k as an emergency in the hopefully unlikely event of a flat? transit wheels this late are very hard to get.unless you pay a ford dealer £100 just for the wheel( got the only one on ebay)

Hi Tazdog,

I agree with Colin, the 215 section tyre will be around 1" (actually 26 mm) difference in diameter. You may well find this is enough of a difference to cause ABS and traction control faults and you could end up with your dash alight with warning lights if you try using it.

First things first, check the rim is actually correct for your Ford, in terms of PCD and Offset. The PCD is the diameter of the circle drawn through the centres of the mounting studs, If it is not exactly correct then the wheel will not fit over the studs!

Next the offset which will usually be stamped into the wheel and must be an exact match. This dictates how far in or out from the mounting flange the tyre sits, too far in and you risk damaging brake parts or suspension, too far out and you risk rubbing bodywork.

In short only the correct rim is the proper replacement.

Now for the tyre, It is quite likely the smaller section tyre will also have a lower load index figure and consequently cannot support the axle weight of your mH. Again you MUST get the correct size and load index tyre for your MH

Sorry but you seem to be cutting corners and running a real risk of getting deeper into trouble.

My opinions and my opinions only.

Keith.

Edit to add, have a look at this website for a comparison of sizes... Link. Change the sizes to match your 2 tyre sizes.

Cannot see why this would be perfectly OK for use in an emergency and used sensibly, plenty of car these days use space saver wheels with no problems at all. just keep speed low and drive in a sensible manner until you get puncture sorted out.

tazdog6007

Current Mk 8 Ford Transits can have as original equpment (OE) three different tyre sizes. Transits with a ‘dual wheel’ rear axle have 195/75 R16C tyres. Transits with a ‘single wheel’ rear axle have either 215/65 R16C or 235/65 R16C tyres depending on the model/chassis type. This is detailed in the Ford Transit Owner’s Manual.

I believe you’ll find that when 215/65 R16C tyres are fitted as OE the wheel size is 6.5Jx16 ET60, and when 235/65 R16C tyres are fitted as OE the wheel size is 7x16 ET60. If that’s so, then a wider wheel is used with the wider tyre size.

The narrower wheel ought to fit on your Chausson’s hubs, but the 215/65 size tyre would (as has already been advised) have a smaller diameter than a 235/65 tyre and, consequently, its circumference will be less. Putting the ‘spare’ wheel/tyre on the rear axle would cause your Chausson to sit slightly lower on that side. This would be the case if you put the ‘spare’ wheel on the front, but (because of the reduced circumference) there would also be an effect on the operation of the transmission’s differential. The impact this might have on the electronic ‘safety’ systems fitted to your vehicle is unquantifiable, but I suspect that your insurance provider and the police would take a dim view if an accident occurred and it was discovered that you had knowingly fitted a wheel/tyre combination that failed to match your motorhome’s other three wheels/tyres.

Up to you, but having paid a significant amount of money for a new motorhome, I would not be considering carrying a spare wheel/tyre that did not match the originals.

rupert123 - 2016-05-09 1:43 PM

Cannot see why this would be perfectly OK for use in an emergency and used sensibly, plenty of car these days use space saver wheels with no problems at all. just keep speed low and drive in a sensible manner until you get puncture sorted out.

Completely agree, provided it fits ok, put it on and try it, far better than waiting for the rainy night when you might be forced to try it. You only want a useable spare to get you out of trouble, not a perfect interchangeable replacement !

Ps if the Police are willing to accept Spacesaver wheels, then a slight differance will be ok. Just dont drive on it for longer than necessary.

Personally i wouldnt buy a vehicle that didnt have a useable spare wheel as standard, but thats just old school ME.

All bona fide 'space saver' (aka cost saver or weight saver) wheels and tyres are marked with a 50mph 80kph speed limit and would be obvious to an observant plod.

This may be due to the lightweight nature (flimsy) and/or very narrow tread width differing from t'other wheels,as I believe the rolling circumference is broadly similar

Non genuine wheels will not carry such marking so you may wish to limit yourself in view of the disparity of sizes.

Best see if it fits first (front and back) to avoid friction, fouling the brakes, or the risk of damage as pcd ( wheel nut/bolt pitch centre diameters) can vary as can offsets of the rim centres.

Personally I would far sooner pay the cost and get the right wheel so that I can carry on holidaying without risk of further stress or grief!

Always carry a decent tyre inflator as simply pumping it up can very often get you out of trouble and to a place of safety or assistance and it's a heck of a lot easier than changing a wheel!

A full size spare wheel, jack, handles etc are not light and will impact on payload so it might pay to ensure you have sufficient payload before installing.

Bear in mind in France & Spain tyres on the same axle have to be same type & make, so if you call out a breakdown service to change a wheel they will probably refuse to fit one that is not the same.

Did you try Openo they have good deals on wheel & tyre combinations.

Skinny spares are legal providing there are approved by the manufacturer but they are only for getting you to a place where a satisfactory repair can be carried out.

Not relevant to this thread as they don't make them for commercials.

Where we were parked up in a Avila in Spain a few weeks ago another Motorhomer needed a new tyre went to the local tyre dept had to buy two as they could not supply the same type.

There is a 1992 CE Directive that (ignoring ‘space saver’-type wheels/tyres) stipulates that tyres fitted to a single axle should have the same manufacturer. This Directive still seems to be in force and (presumably) applies to all EC countries.

The Directive is clearly ignored in the UK, but it has certainly been reported here (by rupert123) that a French tyre fitter may well insist that the ‘same manufacturer’ rule be followed. Lenny has now warned about Spain. This could mean that replacing a beyond-repair tyre abroad would require two tyres to be purchased/fitted to conform to the Directive.

It’s commonplace for vehicle owners to replace worn tyres with makes of tyre differing from the originals, but not bring a spare wheel into play. This means that fitting a spare wheel would often conflict with the CE Directive. My Skoda car, for example, now has replacement Hankook tyres on its four alloy road wheels, but the full size steel spare wheel still has its original Continental tyre on it. Whether a foreign breakdown service would refuse to fit a ‘different tyre manufacturer’ spare wheel to a UK-registered vehicle is anybody’s guess, but agreeing to fit a wheel with a different-size tyre might be more contentious.

Tazdog’s motorhome was not supplied with a spare wheel as original equipment and I assume Chausson does not offer one as an option. As Lenny has said, ‘space saver’ wheels/tyres are not available for commercial vehicles and, when Ford offers a spare wheel for a new Transit, the spare’s wheel and tyre size will match the wheel and tyre size of the other wheels.

A motorhome with 235/65 R16C tyres on three of its wheels and a 215/65 R16C tyre on the fourth should fail the UK's MOT test. The reason for rejection would be:

"One tyre is of a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any other on the same axle.”

So there are potential legal implications in this country, never mind abroad.

I think I was wrong about Transit Mk 8 wheel widths. It looks like 7”-width wheels are only used on USA Transits with large capacity motors and that European Transits with the 2.2litre motor and a ‘single wheel’ rear axle have 6.5Jx16 ET60 wheels when the tyre size is 215/65 R16C or 235/R16C. So the wheel Tazdog has obtained via ebay ought to match the Chausson’s original wheels despite the tyre size differing.

When I wanted a spare wheel for my Ducato-based Rapido I managed to obtain a genuine new Fiat 15” steel wheel for under £50 and (as Lenny says) pattern steel wheels for the Transit Mk 8 are advertised on the Oponeo website for well below a Ford agent’s asking price.

For the Rapido I could have economised by buying a cheapo Chinese-made 215/70 R15C tyre to fit to the spare wheel. This would have been legal (at least in the UK) but as the Rapido had Michelin Agilis Camping CP-marked tyres I’d then have to consider the spare wheel’s tyre pressure. Given the cost of the motorhome, 'saving’ £50 quid or so for the spare wheel’s tyre had sufficient negatives to dissuade me from going down that route. I just bought another Agilis Camping tyre to match the originals.

I must be missing something here, why doesn't the OP have a 215/65r/ c16 tyre of the same type as his existing, fitted to his new wheel? End of problem!

I can also confirm that in France they will only fit same make tyres on the same axle as I found to my cost.

Bas

Basil - 2016-05-10 11:23 AM

I must be missing something here, why doesn't the OP have a 215/65r/ c16 tyre of the same type as his existing, fitted to his new wheel? End of problem!...

Bas

My understanding of Roy’s (Tazdog’s) original posting is that he has purchased via ebay a wheel suitable for a Ford Transit Mk 8 (2014-2016) and this wheel came pre-fitted with a 215/65 R16C tyre. However, his recently purchased Transit-based Chausson Flash 610 has 235/65 R16C tyres as original equipment (OE) and as a result he now has a ‘spare’ wheel that (probably) matches his Chausson’s four OE wheels but its tyre has a profile that differs from the Chausson’s four OE tyres.

Fitting the wheel with the 215/65 profile tyre (even as an emergency spare) has technical implications (eg. the tyre’s smaller overall diameter/circumference and significantly lower load index) and raises legal questions that are difficult to answer conclusively.

It’s the non-matching tyre size that presents the problem. If Roy had just obtained a matching wheel with no tyre on it I’m certain he would have chosen to fit a 235/65 R16C tyre to match the profile of the Chausson’s OE tyres.

(I’m pretty sure all Transit Mk 8 wheels will have as OE Schrader snap-in high-pressure valves designed to handle an inflation pressure above 11bar (160psi). I don’t think Roy’s Chausson will have ‘camping-car’ tyres as OE and I’ve yet to see a Transit-based motorhome with OE clamp-in tyre valves even when the motorhome converter has chosen to have the wheels fitted with ‘camping-car’ tyres.)

As posted above space savers are about the same dia as the tyre/wheel they replace, an 1" dia is quite significant and may (or may not) affect ABS etc.

Before relying on the spare I would at least give it a trial run, or if worried at all fit the cheapest tyre of correct load index which gives the correct dia(215/70 or 205/75), paint the wheel red and stencil on it "emergency use only max speed 80kph/50mph". ;-)

thankyou all for all your very helpful comments.collected the chausson today and am now able to make a decision on the spare i think. the wheel is o.k,but will take your sage advice and buy a tyre same as on the camper.

change of subject ....the chausson comes with a electric drop down table and an electric drop down bed .on demo the bed had to be reprogrammed as it did not operate as it should. I will give a fair report on this camper after returning from the trial run in brighton next week :-S

The Ford Transit Owner’s Manual includes a comprehensive “Wheels and Tires” section, with a sub-section headed "Installing a Road Wheel”. This warns

"Use only approved wheel and tire sizes. Using other wheel and tire sizes could damage your vehicle and will make the National Type Approval invalid. See Technical Specifications.”

The Technical Specifications sub-section provides data on wheel-nut torque (148lb.ft/200Nm), the appropriate tyre specifications for the various Transit models/chassis and the recommended inflation pressures. For “Skeletal Chassis Vehicles (SVO, Motorhomes)” the only tyre-size advised is 235/65 R16C.

This 2010 forum thread (that inquired about a spare wheel for a Transit Mk 7-based Chausson Flash 04) may be of interest:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spare-wheel-Mk-7-MWB-Ford-Transit/19102/

Archived