Elddis Warranty a Waste Of Time

TrevR

Posted elsewhere about our Yuasa leisure battery dead on our 6 month old Elddis Accordo 140. We charge it up and within 12-24 hours, its dead!

Rang Glossop Caravans who tell me to bring it for a diagnostic check. If its faulty they will contact Elddis and get authorisation. They would then order the battery and I would have to return again to have it fitted. Thats a 150 mile trip! + Time !

Glossop also tell me that the battery is covered if it is a particular make, mine is not that make! However, Elddis web site says year 2&3 waranties cover the batteries.

Rang Marquis at Dinnington S.Yorks who tell me that their diagnostic charge is £75 per half hour.

I can buy a Yuasa 100ah battery locally for £75

So it seems like I'm as burnt as I am scalded ...Screwed over, I call it!

Guest pelmetman

No offence..........and I'm the last bloke to stand up for the motorhome industry :D ......... if your getting yourself in a tiz over a 75 quid battery.......you better hope nothing serious goes wrong ;-) ........

Plus its hardly the dealers fault it requires a 150 mile round trip :-| .......

You would also use more diesel than the battery is worth. Plus you can scrap the old one and get money back for it.

When our whale water heater packed up the dealership put me in touch with whale and they sent a guy out to swap it.

Battery warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on, last year while in Greece my 2 rubbish Banner AGM's died only giving about 10AH's each, they were 18 months old.

I called into Hymer at Bad Waldsee on the way home their response was we will change them for you but it will be €700 and if the battery supplier agrees they are faulty we will refund you - no thanks.

when I got home contacted a local Hymer dealer they told me that Hymer & Banner only accept the results of a CAA test which is a test for starter batteries, of course they passed that, a totally irrelevant test for a leisure battery.

I couldn't be bothered to mess around I just brought a couple of decent Gel's for £300.

We had a problem about 4-5 years back with the batteries/charging on our old Autotrail - it certainly wasn't under warranty! But I did want the battery checked - we were going through the Lakes at the time, and called in at ES Hartley near Kendal. Their MINIMUM charge at the time to look at it was £70.

Went down the road to a backstreet garage in Endmoor - he sent his "lad" under the van to check it, wasn't going to charge anything, but eventually accepted a tenner. I realise Elddis might have insisted on a MH dealer report, but for lots of things vehicle-related backstreet garages charge a lot less than MH dealers.

Your contract is with the supplying dealer not Elldis.

You are entitled to a battery that is fit for purpose and you do not seem to have one.

What you probably don't know is how it was store, used and abused prior toyou getting the van and maybe the damage was already done by leaving it flat long before you bought it.

This is very common and most dealers just bung it on charge at PDI and hope that it survives or that you only use EHU and don't notice before the warranty expires.

Maybe time to talk to a senior person at Glossop?

It's not the dealer's fault that you are not local but there should certainly be no charge for checking it and certainly no charge to replace it.

You might be able to take the opportunity to upgrade to a better or larger capacity battery with maybe a longer or a national warranty at the same time if the mood and extra cost take you, or you can squeeze a goodwill gaesture out of them and maybe offer them a bit of less adverse publicity?

Glossop do a lot of shows and if there is one near you soon they might be able to help you at a show by prior arrangement?

On the other hand it might be just as easy to buy a new one locally with a decent warranty (Bosch or Varta come to mind) and be done with it!

There are several threads and lots of sound advice on the vexing and vexatious topic of leisure batteries and below is just one example.

tohttp://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Leisure-batteries-again-/39131/61/#M490420

No matter how good the batteries are if they are allowed to self discharge or go below about 12.2 volts for any length of time they will be damaged and may not fully recover so the charging regime is vital to keep them topped up. Bet they didn't tell you that when you bought it either!!

TrevR - 2016-05-11 3:51 PM

I'm not in a tiz about a £75 battery. I'm in a tiz about a £75 charge to check its condition!

As I understand this, your complaint is essentially that Marquis at Dinnington (an Elldis motorhome dealership presumably close to where you live) will not deal with your Yuasa battery-related problem under the Elddis warranty terms and conditions without charging you for the diagnostic work involved.

Gloosop Caravans in Derbyshire (who I assume sold you the motorhome) would address the problem under warranty, but you’d need to visit them (twice) for this to happen and that would involve significant travel and time.

I don’t know how to interpret Glossop’s advice to you that "the battery is covered if it is a particular make, mine is not that make!”, which seems to suggest that Elddis might recommend a particular leisure-battery be installed and this is not a Yuasa battery. Having said that Yuasa is a reputable make and, if your battery is appropriate for ‘leisure’ usage and was manufactured not too long before you took delivery of your Accordo, it ought not to (apparently) self-discharge in 24 hours.

You seem to be assuming that the Yuasa battery is solely at fault but - even though the battery may now be knackered and require replacement - there may be a reason for it ending up in this state that is unconnected with the battery’s original condition. If for example your Accordo’s battery-charging system has a fault that has damaged the Yuasa battery, then just replacing the battery with another Yuasa or a different make/specification of battery won’t cure the problem.

Your Yuasa battery is part of the Elddis conversion and - like it or not - if you want a ‘free’ replacement you’ll need to go through Glossop Caravans.

Archived