Boxer Speedo cable

Caddies104

Hi.

Are you sure it is a cable?

I drive a 2003 Ducato which has an electric sender unit on the gearbox which are prone to fail.

Not sure what year they changed from cable.

If it is a sender they are quite easily replaced.

Cheers.

You might try inquiring here

http://www.talbotexpressspeedo.co.uk/Talbotexpressspeedo/Talbot_Express_Speedo_Cables.html

Besides relating to whether the motor is diesel or petrol, it looks like there are variations in the cable length.

A quick on-line browse suggests that (as you’ve surmised) when the speedometer fails to work the problem may lie not with the cable itself but with a nylon part in the gearbox that the cable connects to.

Thanks Derek,

website looks good, as you say a minefield of different cables, have been trying to get at the cable to see what it looks like, eventually had to take out the instrument cluster so now know what one ends looks like, need OH to find out what moves when I pull it (not in the mood for jokes (lol) )

If it is the nylon gear inside the gearbox is it a garage job?

Derek

Try reconnecting the gearbox end then driving down the road to see if the speedo end is turning.

Alternatively reconnect the speedo end then spin the gearbox end with an electric drill to check the operation of the speedo head.

Keith.

Caddies104 - 2016-05-12 10:55 AM

Thanks Derek,

website looks good, as you say a minefield of different cables, have been trying to get at the cable to see what it looks like, eventually had to take out the instrument cluster so now know what one ends looks like, need OH to find out what moves when I pull it (not in the mood for jokes (lol) )

If it is the nylon gear inside the gearbox is it a garage job?

Derek

This 2007-2009 MHFacts thread may be of interest:

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/49-tech-mech-chat/24680-peugeot-boxer-speedo-fault.html

As Keith suggests, try spinning the cable from its gearbox end to check that the speedo head functions OK. If the problem lies with the connection in the gearbox, I don’t know how easy that would be to fix.

I have a very vague memory of fiddling about with one of my car’s speedometer drive and that I managed to displace a plastic drive gear that could be accessed through the hole where the speedometer cable connected. I know I managed to get the gear back in place, but all I can really remember was the horror when I realised what I’d done (I was so technically reckless in those days) and the relief that I managed to undo it. The trauma was clearly sufficient to blank my memory regarding the vehicle involved, though I know It wouldn’t have been a Peugeot or Fiat.

Keithl - 2016-05-12 1:08 PM

Try reconnecting the gearbox end then driving down the road to see if the speedo end is turning.

Alternatively reconnect the speedo end then spin the gearbox end with an electric drill to check the operation of the speedo head.

Keith.

Update, did spin the gearbox end with a drill, clockwise, and, did less miles, so have to spin anti-clockwise to check the speedo, AND speedo works. So must be the drive in the gearbox that is playing up or has gone, not sure if an easy job to do but at least saved £40 on a new cable

Thanks for info so far guys/gals :-)

...it's some time since I researched this, but AFAIR, on those gearboxes with a mechanical drive, the gearbox end of the cable plugs into a plastic drive unit which is effectively external to the gearbox, and the gear drive is prone to wear and breaking.

This is a relatively cheap and easy replacement job.

OTOH, this is driven by an internal (metal) gear ring in the gearbox, which has been known to suffer displacement or drift on the shaft, leading to it not engaging with the plastic drive.

This is a dismantling job to sort out, and not cheap and easy.

Removal of the external plastic drive should indicate whether this is damaged, and if it is, the first recourse should be to replace it.

I had the same problem on my Boxer II. I have racked my brains trying to remember how I sorted it out. I believe the problem was caused by the speedo cable becoming stiff and the force generated on the gear which drives the cable displaced the mating gear in the gearbox so that they no longer meshed. I seem to remember that I gained access to the gear in the gearbox and managed to get it back into it's correct position.

Colin

Archived