Back from Winter Trip

Just back home from 16 week trip to Spain & Portugal with a few days in France. 108 nights, 69 were free camping and 39 paid for. Staying at 48 different locations.

Not once while free camping did we wake up with our throats cut, nor were we told to more by the cops, or anyone else for that matter. TheOur paid nights varied from 4.5E/night to 20.5E/night, over the ditch. The highest price you won't be surprised to know was in the UK at £22.40!!

An brilliant trip, highlights were, the dolphins, the griffon vultures, the Mesquita in Cordoba, the startled deer we stumbled across, or maybe the tortoise we almost trod on when scrumping oranges!

4936 trouble free miles, now I need to check whether we stayed within our budget target of 50E/day! No chance me thinks. Looking forward to the next trip, just got to decorate the house first!

Still not completed my budget check, but when looking through my diary some costs jumped out, particularly the price of bottled gas v's refillable gas. Repsol 11kg (we bought 3 while away) varied in price from 10.96 to 11.40,, meaning gas was costing approx 50 cents a litre, (which is our daily usage when free camping). Refillable gas was around 63 cents a litre, can't remember if bottled gas has ever been cheaper than refillable.

When you compare the cost of daily site electricity costs, using gas is a no brainer.

The last entry in my diary is that we only saw 1 guy who could have been a migrant near to Cite of Europe walking along the grass verge, but he could have been French. There were also no wanderers near Calais Auchan. Our problem was, and I'm not kidding, was 15 Japanese tourists with their dogs and the wrong/missing paperwork holding everyone up at the tunnel animal checkpoint!! How do you allow for that in your timings??

starvin marvin - 2016-05-17 9:19 AM

Still not completed my budget check, but when looking through my diary some costs jumped out, particularly the price of bottled gas v's refillable gas. Repsol 11kg (we bought 3 while away) varied in price from 10.96 to 11.40,, meaning gas was costing approx 50 cents a litre, (which is our daily usage when free camping). Refillable gas was around 63 cents a litre, can't remember if bottled gas has ever been cheaper than refillable.

When you compare the cost of daily site electricity costs, using gas is a no brainer.

Most ACSI sites the ehu is included in the price!

PJay

Interesting comparison, it's been a while since we bought Spanish bottles now we have refillable. The bottle price must have come down quite a bit.... And much cheaper than the equivalent in France and the UK I'll bet.

I carry a Gaslow refillable and 11kg Repsol propane when in Spain.

Exchanged the Repsol last week at a campsite and it was about 17euro. Expect it would be cheaper at a Repsol garage but they only had butane in stock and I wanted propane. Seem to remember paying about 12euro at a Repsol garage on the previous occasion.

PJay - 2016-05-17 10:23 AM

Most ACSI sites the ehu is included in the price!

PJay (/QUOTE)

Yes it is, we used 5 low season ACSI sites for 10 nights. Total cost was 171E, so an average cost of 17.1 E/night. Highest price was 19E, lowest was13E. 171E would buy over 15 gas bottles which equates to 326 nights if free camping! We get approx 3 weeks from a gas bottle. So an absolute no brainer. However we used 2 of the site's to get our washing done, which was a necessity.

Robbo - 2016-05-17 11:17 AM

I carry a Gaslow refillable and 11kg Repsol propane when in Spain.

Exchanged the Repsol last week at a campsite and it was about 17euro. Expect it would be cheaper at a Repsol garage but they only had butane in stock and I wanted propane. Seem to remember paying about 12euro at a Repsol garage on the previous occasion.

That's exactly what we have, and it works perfectly. I would only buy gas from a campsite if I was desperate, they can charge whatever. All our Repsol bottles were propane, even got one in Huelva, and you can't get much further south! But had to try 2 filling stations to get it.

By the way the Repsol GPL station in Alicante on the N340 is now closed we got one of our refills at Repsol Javea, were you can wash the van for 3E and also do your laundry, and they stock propane bottles, plus you can free camp near to Scallops, which is probably one of the worst restaurant's on the Costa Blanca and that is saying something, really nasty, comparable to the worst pub grub in the UK.

• 2 months later...

Having now redecorated a big part of the house, I took some time out to check our spend while away. It was raining yesterday! This exercise is basically to check how accurate I was in the first place!

Our budget was a) Fuel £110/wk... we drive a fair bit. b) £90/wk for campsites/aires and any admission charges etc. c) £100/wk on food/restuarants/cafes etc.

This is £300/wk, allowing for approx 15wks = £4,500 plus a contingency of £1,500 (we seem to have all sorts of problems when away!) Total budget £6,000, at approx 1.26 = approx 7,500 euro's.

Our total spend was 4,927.84 Euros, = £3,911 which includes everything, (even my wifes trips to buy some clothes!) for a change we didn't have any disasters.So we underspent by about £600 and didn't need to touch the contingency fund. This is all really academic as we simply spend what we like, when we like, and if we keep within budget it just gives me a smug feeling.

Our total mileage was 4,936 door to door.

So almost exactly 1 euro/mile, which doesn't sound too bad when you say it fast.

I check our spend weekly while away, which gives false impressions particularly early on when we're driving, usually as quickly as possible to get through France without delay. The Costas and Portugal are usually calling at this point and we can't get there fast enough for the sun! France is not a place to linger in January.

What I need to do next is to interrogate my data further to establish where we overspent and where we underspent, so I can adjust my costings for next winter, and include a new category for tolls. However the sun's shining today so back to the grindstone.

Hope some of you find this informative.

fesspark - 2016-08-03 2:08 PM

We came home from Spain late april, price for Cepsa propane 11k,11,40 euro per bottle if that helps anyone.

That was the highest price we paid for an 11kg Repsol propane, the cheapest was 10.96 euro. LPG is just so cheap in Spain....well at least it was.

Archived