Jump Starting Motorhomes - Why not??

aandncaravan

Geeco - 2016-05-15 12:09 AM

I specified my AT with a factory solar panel. If you do not turn the major isolation switch off the solar will keep both the vehicle & habitation batteries charged when parked up. My AT is left parked up an open hard stand and as there is sun most days the batteries are fully charged every check I make. The cost of the solar panel is definitely worth it for the convenience of always having a full charge. Cheers,

You are more fortunate than us Brits, as you have both a lot less Cloud and longer days where a Solar Panel can work well.

In the UK the difference in Solar Gain between the South West Coast in England and Glasgow in Scotland can mean a 25% reduction in Solar Gain.

In mid Winter in Glasgow you will be lucky to get 2Ah a day from a 100watt Solar panel.

In the South of the UK in December it is dark until 09:00, the Sun starting to generate power by around 10:30 until about 14:30, after which it starts to go Dark with sunset around 15:30.

On a Sunny day you might get 0.8amp average from 100watts for 3 - 4 hours?

On a typical Winters day, maybe half that?

So the success of a Solar Panel in keeping batteries charged during Winter storage would depend on many factors. For some it wouldn't be the success it is for you.

Solar panel inside van against windscreen (20 watt) keeps my starter battery 100% and I have in the past pre solar, jump started mt Ducato with jump leads and power pack with no problems! and just replaced the starter battery as I did not want any problems whilst getting the ferry etc as it was new to me in 2007 and at £80 with a five year gtee not worth the worry

Re160 amp alternators what is the output at tickover? I think not a lot ?

But hey what do I know just a happy camper

Ray

This website : http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/index.htm gets quite a lot of praise, although it primarily focuses on Starter Batteries.

If you read section 14.2 it points out the damage that can be done to a vehicles charging system :

"When a dead battery needs to be recharged, it is best to use an external battery charger because you could overheat and damage your vehicle's charging system......"

"If jump starting is required to start an engine, the battery should be (subsequently) fully charged by an external charger and then tested for latent damage. Vehicle charging systems are not designed to recharge fully discharged batteries and by doing so, you may damage the alternator".

Archived