Dash cam

Pete-B

Hi,

A while back I payed over £100 for a Transcend Drive Pro 220, went into Maplins today and they had their own Dash Cam which they called a Maplin M220. this look very much like mine but was priced at £40, please don't tell me they're one and the same

Hi Peter,

it looks a lot like one that I bought a few weeks ago via Amazon..............for £17.50!!

The inputs and outputs are in same places, and screen size 2.3 versus 2.4, so I'd think it's feasible.

Instructions are vague, and I've not had time to get it working yet, but seems ok as a first try,

regards

alan b

pic attached

Hi Peter,

it looks a lot like one that I bought a few weeks ago via Amazon..............for £17.50!!

The inputs and outputs are in same places, and screen size 2.3 versus 2.4, so I'd think it's feasible.

Instructions are vague, and I've not had time to get it working yet, but seems ok as a first try,

regards

alan b

pic attached

sorry tried twice but file size not small enough , my app says 21KB

Camera is a TOGUARD

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2016-05-14 7:50 PM

Hi Peter,

regards

alan b

pic attached

Sounds like my kinda dashcam :D .......do you have a link please? ;-) ......

Brambles - 2016-05-14 8:05 PM

All completely different cams. Might look similar but they are not and the cheaper ones are much lower specifications... no GPS, no wifi, smaller memory and lower resolution and cheaper format. Also smaller screen size.

Why would you want WiFi in a dash cam? The Aldi dash cam can take up to a 32gb card, screen size is fine because as a driver you shouldn't be watching it and when looking at recordings you are not going to look at them on the dash cam but on the tv or computer, you can change the resolution through the menu. We have GPS on the sat nav so don't need it on the dash cam. The one we have in the car was purchased through Ebay and was about £35 and we have had it for 2 years and never had a problem with it, it does what it said on the box therefore I hope this Aldi one will be the same, at least the manual is easy to understand and not in Chinese/English translation.

But each to their own.

Charles - 2016-05-15 11:33 AM

GPS is on them so you can prove where you are and how fast you're traveling. The one I've got splits the computer screen with Google Maps and you can see exactly where you were.

I don't think that the GPS would make any difference in an Insurance Claim. You don't need the coordinates now when you submit a claim you just have to fill the form in and supply a drawing of where the accident happened, if there is injury involved then the Police would have that information.

Its like anything else, more things make life more difficult, our sat nav has the facility to couple it to our phone (we don't use it) but if you are going to take a call then the sensible thing is to pull over and take or make a call. I am a great believer that electronic items are used for their sole purpose and not for multiple options. But as I said before "each to his/her own"

The GPS function on vehicle cameras is often used by companies to keep tabs on their drivers. They can ask the driver to hand in the memory card at the end of the day and the boss can see where they have been. Much cheaper than a tracker.

Some people us the cameras to record a scenic journey, say over the Alps. The mapping function records for future reference where the images were taken.

Don't think because 2 cameras have identical cases they are the same inside. The empty cases are available to buy in China and the factories put in their own electronics.

Archived