Tv reception

Hockeyplayer

Umpteen reasons may explain your problem. Where you are, the type of tv, the installation etc. The latest tv's from Avtex seem to work very well and will self tune wherever you are, but a good roof mounted aerial is a must. If you can, take the tv out and try it at home, connected to your home aerial. If it works well then the tv is fine so look elsewhere. Try it on a separate aerial and again eliminate p[roblems. If all fails then get a tv engineer to test the strenght of the signal being received. Some Caravan Club sites will allow you to hardwire an aerial to the EHU post and if this works for you, then you know the problem lies with your aerial set up.

However, if you are trying to get Eastenders in a Scottish glen, there may be probelms.

Hockeyplayer - 2016-05-16 8:00 PM

We were at a site at the week end and the tv didn't find very much, we then hired the aerial from the site and got tonnes of channels, that's why we think it could be our van aerial

You can get a good one that literally sticks to the roof. Sorry the name escapes me for the moment but I have one, and it seems to work very well. It is only about 5 inches tall and gets all the freeview channels.

Hockeyplayer - 2016-05-18 7:54 PM

Yes it is like that?? Any thoughts??

Well unfortunately it pre-dates Digital TV and hence is not much good. It is 'Omni-directional' which means it looks all around for a signal and hence doesn't really find any good, strong signal.

Your best bet would be to throw it away and buy a proper Digital aerial, I use this one Link to Status 420 and find it very good. I have it mounted off the bike rack on the rear of our MH but there are many ways you can mount it. Obviously I take down when travelling!

If you want to persevere with your 'Flying saucer' then you will find inside a cupboard or wardrobe immediately below it an amplifier, is it connected correctly and turned on, ie red light glowing? If not it will not work! Instructions are available on the IMAGE website linked to above.

HTH,

Keith.

I don't know what make your tv is but if it's an Avtex then their own little double diamond shaped arial that looks as if it's been made from old coat hangers works amazingly well provided the power supply. From the tv to it is switched on. It's relatively cheap and easy to fit compared to a new roof arial.

Archived