Absolute beginner needs some advice!!!

zx10rooster

Just joined the forum as i know it`ll be a great source of info. I`m and absolute newbie when it comes to the world of MH`s. I`m just about to take collection of my 2010, 10k miles Swift 630L. I`ve done lots of research and looked at several layouts and have now settled on the 6 birth, U shaped lounge with a dinette. I went against a fixed bed as this takes up space. The U shaped lounge gives me more chilling space and the additional bed space when needed. We are avid Labrador owners and now we have 2 (New puppy arrives in 6wks) we`ve resigned ourselves to the fact that the foreign holidays will now be less frequent. Hence the desire for a MH and some Euro trips as well as some wild camping as often as possible.

So.................... like an inquisitive child I have plenty of questions that Id really appreciate the expert advice of you guys. Some question will deffo be silly but bare with me, Im new to this :-D

1. my 630L has a small exterior round fitting with 2 connections, these are rubberized. The connector is about the size fo a 10p. Its next to the water fill point. What is this???!! An air release? Some sort fo electrical connection?

2. on the control panel (same as this one http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mDjLRvlqwRk/TUB3gB7t39I/AAAAAAAAEHQ/AT4CiuDdMn8/s1600/%255BFEA%255D-Control-Panel-%255BSWIFT%255D.jpg)

when you turn it on, all the LEDs illuminate. There is a mains green LED in the top left corner. I understand that this is for when yo are hooked up. When I have viewed the MH it is on hook up but the leisure battery is illuminated? Is this normal? I`m guessing that the plug sockets and electric hob shouldn't work if connected on the leisure battery? That fact that they d, does that tell me that it is working on the mains hook up? The dealer says it is working on mains and that the "charger" has been changed (there is now a silver box in the cupboard above the main RCD panel in the over head locker)

3. how do i know that my leisure battery is charging via the hook up? Do the plug sockets only work when on hook up?

4. How do I test the Trauma heater ( like this http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/campingimages/truma/trumaticS3002.jpg) I`d like to test it on gas and electric. Does it work on leisure battery alone? Should it produce pretty instant heat?

5. Blown air heater. How can I test this? Is it from the same heater as above?

6. Water heater. How can I test it? Test on gas and electric. Does it work on leisure batteries or just gas and hook up?

7. Gas cylinders. I have 2 x 7kg cylinders. is there a gauge i can get that shows me their levels?

8. does anyone have a checklist for what to do when you arrive, pack up, return from a trip?

I think that`ll keep you all busy for now!!!

Thanks in advance, happy motoring :-D

Hi Jason, and welcome to the forum. You are right , you will get some good advice on here.

You really are an innocent when it comes to MH

Did you not get a handover , telling you about things?

As it is not new, you could always contact the previous owner .as sometimes we make alterations to our vans!!

Can I also recommend that you add your location/and van to your details (I know you have put it in your first post, but this will get lost in time , as you ask more questions, then some one who knows your area can point you maybe to help

Good luck in your travels and the new puppy , when it arrives

PJay

Hi

Here are some suggestions to get you started.

1. This sounds like the electrical connection for an external water pump.

2. You are correct the sockets and electric hob will only work when on EHU.

3. You could try a multimeter to test battery but the control panel should show you the charge increasing.

4. Turn the heater on when on EHU and see if the water gets hot. Then disconnect and turn it on when gas is on and see if water gets hot. If this is the heater test air gets hot. It won’t work from the battery EHU or gas.

5. See answer 4

6. See answer 4

7. Gauges are often unreliable unless they are refillable bottles. Just use 1 until it runs out and swap to the other one while you get the original filled.

8. Lots of people do I always forget something so start one.

Hi ZX10'..

Not on your list but I would recommend taking it to a local weighbridge and checking it's all-up weight, and it's individual axle loads (..if it's got a lengthy tail overhang, it can be easy to overload the rear, especially if it has the likes of a tow-bar, bumper or bike rack etc).

It seems that some weigh their van when empty and then calculate (guesstimate) the effects of everything they then load. Personally, when checking our vans, I always loaded with *everything (and everybody!) I was ever likely to take at one time..and then go from there.

(*inc full fresh water and fuel tanks, full gas bottles, any additional awning, bbq, outdoor chairs/table etc etc)

One simple thing but if you have, and use, rear steadies, put the crank handle over the van pedals once they're down, so that you don't pull off with them down (..I nearly rolled of my levelling wedges with 'em ours still down once! :$ )

We've got various lists of " things to take " etc - but the one we use most is a check list before we drive away from anywhere.

It's a bit like a pre take-off list :

Are the windows closed, have we unhooked the electrics, are all the cupboards shut, did we stash anything under the van, or hang it on the bike rack etc etc ?

............ and, of course ( although it doesn't apply in our case ) has the TV aerial / dish been lowered ?

I'm sure you can add to that lot as you go on your travels.

;-)

zx10rooster - 2016-05-16 8:44 PM

7. Gas cylinders. I have 2 x 7kg cylinders. is there a gauge i can get that shows me their levels?

Calor’s “CalorLite” 6kg propane canisters have a contents-level gauge, but doubts have been raised regarding the gauge’s reliability and accuracy.

https://www.calor.co.uk/shop/gas-bottles/calor-lite/calor-lite-propane-gas-bottle.html

Products are available that can reveal metal gas-bottle contents.

http://www.levelcheck.com/uk/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-GasChecker-GC-100-Level/dp/B00CTLVU0M

http://www.tankgas-level.co.uk/home/4584928161

I have a “GASLEVEL Classic” that is not particularly easy to use but works after a fashion. Of the pen-type devices Truma’s “LevelCheck” is likely to be the best, but it costs around £60.

This Australian webpage may be of interest

http://www.elgas.com.au/blog/353-how-much-gas-is-left-in-the-gas-bottle

Welcome. I have a Swift 630L 2008. The control panel you show on your post does look like a non standard item. My vehicle has the Nordelettronica control panel. Swift changed to the Sargent units about 2010.

If the unknown fitting is beside the water filler you should be able to see what is on the inside of this fitting by looking under the front dinette seat. Here you should be able to see the water pipe and EHU charger unit etc.

2. on the control panel (same as this one http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mDjLRvlqwRk/TUB3gB7t39I/AAAAAAAAEHQ/AT4CiuDdMn8/s1600/%255BFEA%255D-Control-Panel-%255BSWIFT%255D.jpg)

when you turn it on, all the LEDs illuminate. There is a mains green LED in the top left corner. I understand that this is for when yo are hooked up. When I have viewed the MH it is on hook up but the leisure battery is illuminated? Is this normal? I`m guessing that the plug sockets and electric hob shouldn't work if connected on the leisure battery? That fact that they d, does that tell me that it is working on the mains hook up? The dealer says it is working on mains and that the "charger" has been changed (there is now a silver box in the cupboard above the main RCD panel in the over head locker

the control panel is a correct Sargent unit

here is a link of a you tube video, that hopefully explains things.

the green light against either the vehicle or leisure battery denotes either which battery is currently being charged by the intelligent charger, or which battery has been selected to power the 12v systems....

obviously, dont select vehicle battery unless absolutely necessary....

nice that ypu can 'force' the charger to give priority to a particular battery.

you will also have a sargent PSU (silver box) which can be used to program the charing regime for ehu or solar....

the 13a sockets will only work when plugged into an EHU point.

Archived