Fridge problem

peterjl

Hi

I have a 3 way Dometic RM 5380.

Before leaving home I ran the fridge for 24 hrs on gas to cool.

Arrived on first day of holiday last night. Gas would not light, could hear not clicking when ignitio switch depressed.

I plugged into 240v and that is ok. It was cooling when on battery and engine working.

Gas is switched on,

I checked all the fuses I can find.

The internal light comes in when door opened.

I took off outside vent but everything is up and impossible to get out but no obvious faults.

Any ideas?

I am sitting in queue for ferry to Ireland and suspect we will not have gas fridge which will limit wild camping opportunities.

Peter

...Peter,

the ignition on these units is operated by a (AAA) battery that is concealed in the ignition knob.

It has to be at least worth a check.

Instructions for replacement are as follows:

7.12 Replacing the battery on the ignition

? Use a screwdriver to turn the cap of the battery ignition (fig. j 1, page 7) 90° to the left.

? Pull out the cap and remove the battery (fig. k 1, page 7).

? Put in the new battery (type AAA). Make sure the polarity is correct.

? Put the cap back in.

The "cap of the battery ignition" is the core of the (push) ignition knob (with the "lightning flash" on it).

=====

Edited to add:

I assume you are following the instructions for lighting on gas, and setting the thermostat to maximum cooling before attempting?

Thank you Robinhood, you are a life saver. That worked.

I have the instruction book that came with the fridge but it doesn't mention this.

When I put the post on the forum I had very very poor internet and could not search, ( I barely managed the post). Now I am in Wexford, after your reply I searched for replacing battery and, low and behold, there it all was.

I have downloaded the manual!

Once again thanks.

Peter

Archived