booking a ferry

boxerbob62

Thanks for your quick replies,as I am no longer in the C.C I can give that one a miss --thanks anyway--.Had a look at Dereks reply and I see that Dover/France bookings carry a booking fee if done by telephone, looking at DFDS and P&O online P&O seems the better choice regarding ferry times when I will be be going away (1st sunday in july) many thanks Derek for your reply. ;-)

boxerbob62 - 2016-05-19 9:12 AM

Thanks for your quick replies,as I am no longer in the C.C I can give that one a miss --thanks anyway--.Had a look at Dereks reply and I see that Dover/France bookings carry a booking fee if done by telephone, looking at DFDS and P&O online P&O seems the better choice regarding ferry times when I will be be going away (1st sunday in july) many thanks Derek for your reply. ;-)

Have sent you a PM BOB.

Guest adhple
I found it cheaper to telephone the ferry directly as the CC were more expensive. when I complained to the CC that I could get it cheaper by going direct to the ferry, they got a bit shirty! I save £80, it looks like the CC use there own strict calculator to work out the prices, but the ferry are a little more flexible on their sizes and the meanings of the extras.

We went across to France a few weeks back, and did a late booking, via CC, using Dover to Dunkerque, partly as it was cheapest and most convenient, and also seemed to be less possibility of immigrants.

Having gone through the usual checks in Dover, I was pleasantly surprised to be off the ferry and on the route to ST Omer without any fuss or formality and no sign of any immigrants in either direction. Would certainly recommend using this route rather than Calais.

I am surprised that you travel all the way to Dover from Devon Keith

I would have thought that Plymouth. Poole or Portsmouth would be easier.

The cost and time taken on both to and from Dover , is it worth it? I know the cost of ferry is probably less, but you can cross from Poole/Portsmouth in 3 hours .

We find living where we do, we can get to France quicker than getting to Dover,(3 hrs). as a member of BFerry, we get 30% discount anyway.

PJay

PJay - 2016-05-25 11:50 PM

I am surprised that you travel all the way to Dover from Devon Keith

I would have thought that Plymouth. Poole or Portsmouth would be easier.

PJay

Yes, that's very true, and our 'normal' route is indeed Plymouth/Roscoff.

However, the trip earlier this year included a short break on Isle of Wight, and a visit to Eastbourne, so the easiest and cheapest route was via Dover.....not least as I actually prefer the drive in France, so we retuned as per normal via Roscoff...!

We too are members of the BFerries club, so get that discount, and our next trip - due very shortly - cost us under £300 return, inc overnight cabin outwards, and the usual BF excess for up to 3m high and 6m long! At least on the DFDS crossing, there were no excess costs for that!

Archived