Pioneer / waeco reverse camera on Burstner MH

Oleanca

Help, we are so fed up, our MH is just over a year old , so all out of warranty camera just stopped working took MH back to where we bought it from, hasten to add we are in France, We are told it's the

camera they want arm & leg to sort it out, so my OH bought a new exact same camera sent from UK and it still does not work, at wits end any help please.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Oleanca.

I’m going to suggest first of all that you confirm that the problem is genuinely outside the warranty terms and conditions.

I believe that the warranty for a Waeco camera will be 12 months, but as the new camera that was purchased has not cured the problem it has to be asked whether your Burstner’s vendor’s diagnosis (that the original camera was faulty) was correct.

If the problem were in fact due to a fault with the installation of the reversing-camera system – for example there’s something wrong with the cabling connecting the camera to the monitor in the cab (or the fault lies with the monitor itself ) - there is the possibility that the Burstner conversion warranty or the monitor’s warranty might apply.

It might be helpful if you could provide the exact model and year of manufacture of your Burstner motorhome just in case a forum member also has one and can comment based on expert knowledge.

My 2015 Rapido 640 has a Waeco PerfectView CAM50 camera

http://www.dometic.co.uk/product/waeco-perfectview-cam-50/

cable-connected to a Pioneer AVH-X2700BT autoradio

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-AVH-X2700BT-Touchscreen-Multimedia-Connectivity/dp/B00PAQGYKO

that has a screen that displays the image from the rear-view camera.

Input from the camera must be chosen via the autoradio’s menu system and it’s certainly possible to accidentally switch off the camera’ s feed to the autoradio. Disconnection at the rear of the Pioneer autoradio of the camera’s signal-cable would, of course, also mean that the camera could no longer provide an image.

As I said earlier, the fact that an image not provided by your new camera casts doubt on whether the problem is camera-related. Logically the way forward would be to connect the new camera to a system known to be in working condition and see what happens. If the test proved that the camera was OK, then you’d know the fault lay elsewhere in your Burstner. If the new camera failed to work (and the original camera also failed to work when similarly tested) you’ve had really bad luck and you’d need to return your 2nd camera under warranty.

If the camera is not the culprit, more investigation would be needed to establish whether the problem is cable-related and/or with the in-cab unit which displays the camera image.

Oleanca - 2016-05-20 6:35 PM

Help, we are so fed up, our MH is just over a year old , so all out of warranty camera just stopped working took MH back to where we bought it from, hasten to add we are in France, We are told it's the

camera they want arm & leg to sort it out, so my OH bought a new exact same camera sent from UK and it still does not work, at wits end any help please.

If it's impossible to get it sorted in France without first selling your children, then I would suggest that when/if back in the UK take the van to Conrad Anderson in Brum, they'll sort it. In the meantime do what most of us do, rely on your mirrors.

A few simple tests can be done. As I believe the cameras has IR nightvision you can check if the LEDs glow when it is dark. Placing a towel over the camera and your head will simulate darkness. If the LEDs do not glow you have lost the 12 Volt feed to the camera.

A multimeter would be iseful to trace back where the 12V is being lost.

If you have 12V at the camera and the monitor screen is blue then there is no video signal from the camera. This could also be a faulty cable.

If you have a dark screen on the monitor it indicates the monitor is receiving something from the camera. Not the correct video signal but a good indication the cable is OK.

Are you absolutely sure you have ordered the exact replacement part number for the camera.

Waeco and other companies can use different pinouts on their cameras which will be indicated with a slightly different part number - usually just the last digit or letter.

I had a problem with a Waeco unit in my Burstner. The fuse was blown, the cause was the stand unit the monitor plugs into.

Tested the wiring and found it was faulty but not fixable, a new one was £80 for something they build in China for sub £5.

My solution was to rip the whole lot out put in a new complete system which you can buy replacement parts off the shelf anywhere at low cost.

Archived