Fuel Shortages in France

AlanS

We are down in Normandy and fuel locally seems fine. We filled up on the motorway with no restrictions and the queue was fairly normal. The petrol station at the eurotunnel semmed ok as well.

I wouldnt let the bbc reports put you off your trips.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've just changed our plans to return to UK early - but it's because of the poor weather rather than the fuel issues.  I had an email this morning from a friend who is motorhoming in Germany - he's watching the Rhine get higher and higher and changing his plans, as we've been watching Le Loire at Chateaudun and are now changing ours.

The Low which has been sitting across France and Germany for ages is a most unual weather feature!

We're moving on from St Valery sur Somme to Honfleur tomorrow, still have nearly a full tank so ok for 500 miles, weather was ok till yesterday, turned cold and wet, hopefully will get better..

Site at St Valery very good, with free wifi, bar, take away, swimming pool, gym, golf driving range, crazy golf, Tennis and fishing lake... ACSI at 17€ per night and 7 nights for 6.

George.. - 2016-05-30 7:33 PM

Hi all, now at Argenton-sue-Creuse waiting to be towed off waterlogged pitch. Fuel was about 50/50 coming down, passed Rouen some garages had no petrol but gazelle. No can filling anywhere.

We filled up near Marcilly.

George

I bet the gazelle makes the van go a lot faster...

starvin marvin - 2016-05-31 1:09 PM

George.. - 2016-05-30 7:33 PM

Hi all, now at Argenton-sue-Creuse waiting to be towed off waterlogged pitch. Fuel was about 50/50 coming down, passed Rouen some garages had no petrol but gazelle. No can filling anywhere.

We filled up near Marcilly.

George

I bet the gazelle makes the van go a lot faster...

Oh deer.

AlanS - 2016-05-21 10:17 PM

I read about this on another MH Forum and thought it may be of interest to those who are about to set off for France. Yes, the peasants are revolting again and Northern France seems to be the problem area at the moment. Keep an eye out for further info and make sure you have a full tank before you catch the ferry or tunnel in the short term.

We are off at the end of the week and hope matters are resolved by then, if not a trip via Belgium and Germany might be in the offing.

http://www.connexionfrance.com/France-normandy-le-havre-fuel-shortage-service-stations-dry-petrol-diesel-18072-view-article.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-politics-protests-oil-idUSKCN0YC0L1

Alan

two hour delays to ferries to-day, due to French strikes, even the Spanish ones, from Portsmouth

PJay

<<< Many /most people have no idea when a crisis is coming - so the government would have to announce it - which would trigger panic buying. >>>

Hi,

What I meant was that you should fill your tank when it is half empty. And you should have at least a weeks supply of "emergency" food in your larder/freezer, plus a way of heating it (perhaps the kitchen in your camper, if you keep it at home)

I wonder if reverse rationing would cut the fuel queues. Make it a minimum purchase of 10 litres. ??? How many drivers will stop to top up their almost full tank ... because they can?

Many years ago, possibly the early 1980s, during a petrol shortage, garages were refusing to accept payment by credit card ... why should they give the card company a share, when they could sell every gallon they had for cash?

<<< Many /most people have no idea when a crisis is coming - so the government would have to announce it - which would trigger panic buying. >>>

Hi,

What I meant was that you should fill your tank when it is half empty. And you should have at least a weeks supply of "emergency" food in your larder/freezer, plus a way of heating it (perhaps the kitchen in your camper, if you keep it at home)

I wonder if reverse rationing would cut the fuel queues. Make it a minimum purchase of 10 litres. ??? How many drivers will stop to top up their almost full tank ... because they can?

Many years ago, possibly the early 1980s, during a petrol shortage, garages were refusing to accept payment by credit card ... why should they give the card company a share, when they could sell every gallon they had for cash?

Hi All,

Well I am due to leave England on Monday. Dont know what to do!!! I had intended for a relaxing holiday on the beach on the west coast of France, catch some rays and then head back feeling rested. One the weather is awful here and there and 2 what is the situation with fuel. I dont know anybodies MH that runs on fresh air. Is anybody there..... can you let me know whats happening at the moment.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tomo.

One life live it.( I am trying)

Hi

I agree with you about booking. We dont book, and if they cant fit us in you go somewhere else. That is surely the beauty of motorhoming. Freedom.

Tomo

One life live it. (And still trying)

Have travelled from Roscoff to Narbonne over past three days, and whilst we have topped up every 100/150 miles, no signs of any limitations or closed fuel station. Not used peage, but generally prices around 1.15-1.17 for diesel though have seen both higher and lower on odd occasions.

Weather on way vey mixed, and very wet especially through the Lot area, but now on Med, and daytime mid-high 20s and very sunny.

Tomo - 2016-06-03 9:15 AMHi All,Well I am due to leave England on Monday. Dont know what to do!!! I had intended for a relaxing holiday on the beach on the west coast of France, catch some rays and then head back feeling rested. One the weather is awful here and there and 2 what is the situation with fuel. I dont know anybodies MH that runs on fresh air. Is anybody there..... can you let me know whats happening at the moment.Thanks in anticipation. Tomo.One life live it.( I am trying)
Fuel available without difficulty because we are between strikes and the shortage was never everywhere even at worst -the BBC reporting was sensationalised and misleading. However the weather in France and right across Germany has been far worse than UK and forecast uncertain. If you are lucky the W coast might be OK from late next week but keep you fuel tank topped up anyway whenever you can and take you wellies, just in case. 

We are still at Neufchatel en Bray on the Aire because of flooding and hope to move West on Sunday where the weather seems according to forecasts dryer and warmer. It is very wet and cold here and we walk up to Leclerc supermarket each day for a stroll and they have always had fuel and no queues.

If you don't already know Le Moulin Fort Campsite near Chenonceaux on the Cher is totally under water today so if you are heading that way review your plans - have a look at the sites web page or Facebook.

One of our friends is heading South and has stopped for lunch on the A71 at Junction 8 - he went across country and said he had no problems with fuel so far.

Alan

Archived