New Motorhome prices

Elaine63

Hi All,

I'm new here! My husband and I are trying to buy a new Motorhome. The problem seems to be, that if we want to order one now(which we do), the dealers are saying that they are unable to give us a price(for a Burstner in our case), because there may be a price increase as the Motorhome will come from next years stock! We can order one, but they won't be able to tell us how much it will cost??Does this sound right?? We would buy one from current stock, from the dealer, but they only have 2 of the model we want in stock, and quite simply, they're not what we want!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

There usually is a waiting list for new vans, and then they do not always arrive on time!

If this is your first MH. why not buy a 1 to 2 years old one? You may find that what you think you want, is not quite right when you start using it.It can be a costly mistake to change, as you lose many (Vat) as soon as you have purchased it. Many people change their vans after this time, maybe because it's not right for them, not big enough, too big, etc

There are some fantastic bargains around in this range .

Good luck in your purchase, but do think carefully before spending all the hard earned cash. Try before you buy, I would suggest

It is so easy to be dazzled by the showroom models

PJay

You could consider buying British. German quality is often not what it's cracked up to be and if required the availability of spares can be a problem. AutoSleeper and AutoTrail build very good quality motorhomes with excellent after sales service. Swift group products don't have such a good reputation. Just a thought.

Colin is correct in saying not all German are built like say a Bmw.

We purchased a new Hymer some time ago and have to say not pleased.

We've had 2 uk Mh's and both were great.

We then went over to French Mh's imported by Hayes.

They gave us fixed prices with a discount. We like the designs of the French.

It seems a bit strange to place an order without a price.

We have always purchased new, don't really like the idea of my vehicles being miss used. I'm quite capable of that.

I'm sure you've done your homework and been to a few shows to want one in particular.

Perhaps you should speak to other importers and they may give you a price to go back to your preferred dealer. It's worth a try.

The only time we had to pay a little more is when the £ dropped against the €, from memory to 1.05€

We shared the difference with Hayes.

All the best with your new purchase. It's a great life.

The advice to try the activity be fore committing large chunks of the hard earned is sound. Every house and vehicle is a compromise and when you put one on the other it compounds the situation . You obviously have a fair idea of your needs but in practice many more compromises will be made as experience is gained. in the activity. There is no such thing as the perfect motorhome.

Hire or start with a second hand vehicle were someone else has taken the first big chunk of depreciation.

The base vehicles have to stand up to white van man driving and by and large are as tough as old boots. and I do not share the the widespread obsession with low mileage Body and interior condition are much better indicators of careful use. Spend some of the money you will save of a competent survey. Despite all its pitfalls consider buying privately for a first buy. There are some superb bargains as owners age and have to give up.

George Collings - 2016-05-22 9:49 PM

The advice to try the activity be fore committing large chunks of the hard earned is sound. Every house and vehicle is a compromise and when you put one on the other it compounds the situation . You obviously have a fair idea of your needs but in practice many more compromises will be made as experience is gained. in the activity. There is no such thing as the perfect motorhome.

Hire or start with a second hand vehicle were someone else has taken the first big chunk of depreciation.

The base vehicles have to stand up to white van man driving and by and large are as tough as old boots. and I do not share the the widespread obsession with low mileage Body and interior condition are much better indicators of careful use. Spend some of the money you will save of a competent survey. Despite all its pitfalls consider buying privately for a first buy. There are some superb bargains as owners age and have to give up.

Agree with that

We know that sadly we will not be able to keep on ,for much longer. ourselves. Am dreading the day when we have to give up the freedom of touring. and sell our much loved van!

PJay

Den - 2016-05-22 7:52 PM

Colin is correct in saying not all German are built like say a Bmw.

We purchased a new Hymer some time ago and have to say not pleased.

We've had 2 uk Mh's and both were great.

We then went over to French Mh's imported by Hayes.

They gave us fixed prices with a discount. We like the designs of the French.

It seems a bit strange to place an order without a price.

We have always purchased new, don't really like the idea of my vehicles being miss used. I'm quite capable of that.

I'm sure you've done your homework and been to a few shows to want one in particular.

Perhaps you should speak to other importers and they may give you a price to go back to your preferred dealer. It's worth a try.

The only time we had to pay a little more is when the £ dropped against the €, from memory to 1.05€

We shared the difference with Hayes.

All the best with your new purchase. It's a great life.

h

My eldist son had two new BMWs. You won't believe the troubles he had with them. When the time came to order a third one he was in the showroom and suddenly thought sod this and walked over the road to the VW garage and ordered a pair for himself and his wife. To be fair to the Germans he had them for three years and they were fine. Youngest son had an Alpha which was even worse but then they are Italian. Me I'm more sensible I used to have a Toyota and now drive a Honda. Fine reliable British built and designed cars!

Elaine63 - 2016-05-22 5:36 PM

Hi All,

I'm new here! My husband and I are trying to buy a new Motorhome. The problem seems to be, that if we want to order one now(which we do), the dealers are saying that they are unable to give us a price(for a Burstner in our case), because there may be a price increase as the Motorhome will come from next years stock! We can order one, but they won't be able to tell us how much it will cost??Does this sound right?? We would buy one from current stock, from the dealer, but they only have 2 of the model we want in stock, and quite simply, they're not what we want!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

If you ordered a brand-new motorhome that would need to be built to your particular requirements it would come from the motorhome converter’s 2017 ‘model-year’ range.

The snag at present is that the mandatory Euro 6 emissions standard is hovering over the light-commercial vehicles on which most European motorhomes are based and - for the 2017 model-year - there will in many cases be major changes to the mechanical specification of the base vehicles and those changes will hike up the vehicles’ prices. For the 2017 model-year some motorhomes will get completely different motors to those fitted previously, or motors that have been heavily revised to meet the Euro 6 standard.

It’s generally acknowledged that Euro 6-related changes will significantly bump up the price of the base vehicles supplied to motorhome converters and that the converters will pass the extra cost on to buyers. Fiat has been particularly cagey about the Euro 6 specification of Ducato vehicles (that Burstner builds on) and, although it’s probable that Burstner is well aware what the Euro 6 specification will be and what Fiat will charge, Fiat has still not made any generalised official announcement about Euro 6 Ducato specification/prices.

As far as I’m aware no motorhome dealer selling Fiat Ducato-based motorhomes ‘officially’ knows what specification 2017 model-year Euro 6 Ducatos will have or has price-lists showing how much motorhomes based on Euro 6 Ducatos will cost.

2017 model-year motorhome prices should beceme generally available during the next couple of months.

(You’d very likely find that dealers for Auto-Sleepers, Auto-Trail or Swift brands would be in the same boat as Burstner dealers, with no firm 2017 model-year prices yet available for Fiat or Peugeot-based motorhomes.)

Agree with all the advice above and the learned explanation from Derek about the 2017 models.

However, I would also query buying a brand new van as a first experience of motorhoming. How do you know you will even like this form of holidaying? You really should rent a vehicle first for at least two weeks and if possible stay both in the UK and say France to get a rounded first time experience.

We have an acquaintance who bought a fifth wheeler and new pick up truck trading in their caravan. But after just two weeks, she who must be obeyed, declared that she really didn't like motorhoming and wanted to go back to caravanning *-) So they sold the fifth wheeler and pick up at a great loss to resume caravanning.

Just shows that if you try before you buy you could save yourself a lot of money.

We are now using our third motorhome and agree that this is the one we really like. It has taken us six years and several mortgages to get to this stage - so take care how you start motorhoming - it could all end in tears :-D

lennyhb - 2016-05-25 9:47 AM

Buying a Burstner in the UK is financial suicide buy in Belgium or Germany and save at least 10k...

Is it possible to buy new right-hand drive Burstner motorhomes from dealerships in Belgium or Germany as used to be the case with Hymers at one time?

Derek Uzzell - 2016-05-26 7:38 AM

lennyhb - 2016-05-25 9:47 AM

Buying a Burstner in the UK is financial suicide buy in Belgium or Germany and save at least 10k...

Is it possible to buy new right-hand drive Burstner motorhomes from dealerships in Belgium or Germany as used to be the case with Hymers at one time?

You can still order Hymers in RHD €1500 extra and they come with UK spec don't know about Bunstner, my current van is LHD I wouldn't consider anything else now as most of out mileage is across the ditch and don't even notice it's LHD when in the UK.

While the move to Euro 6 powerplants (particularly with motorhomes based on Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot) may be complicating obtaining firm 2017 model-year prices at the moment, there’s also the June 23 2016 referendum to bear in mind.

If the referendum produces a LEAVE result, it’s a racing certainty that sterling will immediately weaken significantly against the euro. As the vast majority of motohome base-vehicles are imported from abroad, it should then be anticipated that their UK pricing will rise accordingly and that this will impact on UK motorhome converters. A weakened GBP would also raise the prices of imported motorhomes built in the eurozone.

If one is happy with LHD, buying a new motorhome ‘off forecourt’ abroad between now and June 23 makes good sense. But ordering from a ‘foreign’ dealership a new motorhome that won’t be delivered until after June 23 risks a big increase in any price currently quoted.

I imported a new LHD Hobby motorhome from Germany in 2005. I treated the exercise as a cost-saving adventure and, if I bothered to write up what happened, I’m confident people would be in stitches. As we don’t motorhome in the UK LHD is an advantageous, but I decided to buy my present LHD Rapido from a UK dealership.

Driving a large-ish LHD motorhome on the left in the UK presents similar difficulties to driving a large-ish RHD motorhome on the right in Continental Europe, with visiblity from the driver’s seat at junctions being the main challenge.

It’s also worth saying that driving a large LHD vehicle may prove trickier than anticipated even when an experienced driver is accustomed to driving LHD cars in the UK or abroad. I thought I would immediately feel at home driving the Hobby, but it took quite a few thousand kilometres before I was able to drive the vehicle instinctively. This may not matter if a LHD motorhome has a sole driver, but if more than one person is to drive the vehicle it’s something worth considering.

Elaine63 - 2016-05-22 5:36 PM

Hi All,

Why buy new? Many motorhomes do very little mileage and there are some excellent second hand vehicles available. We bought one last year, cost new in 2012 was £67,000. We purchased from the same dealer who sold the van when it was new, with 6,000 miles on the clock for £25,000 less than the new price. The van was immaculate.

Yes, I agree with what you're saying, and we are definitely very much still in the 'thinking' stage!! We won't be rushing into anything, but 'he' who must be obeyed will definitely not have a caravan!!! We are taking our time, and looking at many models now....both new & used. We're fairly well travelled, and are pretty sure that motorhoming is the way forward for us!

Archived