Convert hab door to remote locking?

Tracker

Rich two days and no help! 

Looks like you should complete the project and let us know how to do it.

My AT locks the hab door and retracts the step when you turn on the ignition, it is very handy for people like me that are prone to forget things. So I can understand why you would want to do the job. Shame I am not closer I would give you a hand or at least hold the pliers. Let us know how you get on. Cheers

Cheers Gary, just pop in when you're passing and a warm welcome is always guaranteed!

Our step also retracts when the ignition is turned on but I had not considered the door locking idea! I too can forget to lock it before moving off and when stationary in traffic etc that door could be seen as an easily vulnerable entry point for scumbags.

Being a simple bloke I may have to consult an auto electrician for the best way to wire up to activate the lock either via the existing Peugeot system or via the ignition or even maybe a stand alone switch on the dashboard?

Any thoughts - anyone?

Rich,

Unless there is already an actuator inside the hab door you will have to add one to physically lock and unlock the existing lock.

Something like this should work with the electronics you posted a link to earlier... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wire-Universal-Central-locking-Motor/dp/B003JBH4WE/ref=pd_vtph_263_lp_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=9S6PW62SKWNC32MJYBXH

This is universal so you mount it wherever you can inside the door then have to connect the rod to push and pull your locking mechanism. You usually connect them to the door cill button or latch which has already has a rod (the little block connects the 2 rods) but you may have to be inventive with your hab door lock.

Keith.

We have fitted a Fiamma (I think) lock that can be closed from both inside with a button and outside with a key. This gives us the protection , at night, and when travelling, we also have a Handle lock that goes across the door, for when not in van, but also for help when getting in/out, as we have a high step (I need this for my arthritic knees!!) We also have dead locks on cab doors, can only open from inside.

The van is a bit like fort knox, but we don't carry any valuables . OH is a bit of a fanatic about secruity

One thing to think about when fitting all the extra locks , is that you need to be able to get out from more than one door in an accident! Would a remote still work?

PJay

Keithl - 2016-05-27 7:23 AM

Unless there is already an actuator inside the hab door you will have to add one to physically lock and unlock the existing lock.

Something like this should work with the electronics you posted a link to earlier... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wire-Universal-Central-locking-Motor/dp/B003JBH4WE/ref=pd_vtph_263_lp_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=9S6PW62SKWNC32MJYBXH

Thanks for the link Keith.

Fortunately the A/S GRP door is both strong and hollow and with a little ingenuity there should be plenty of room to mount the actuator and all the other gubbins inside, and even getting a 12v supply in should not pose too much of an issue.

Given the cable route and distance I don't much fancy trying to wire it in the the dashboard mounted switches that lock and unlock the cab doors, or the existing Peugeot cab door remote and immobiliser system so I would probably keep it simple and use a key fob to operate it as I really don't want to risk creating any issues with the immobiliser!

Archived