Motor Home Bike rack Security

winewalker

Will be having a new motor home with a bike rack fitted. With a good lock and cable how secure would a bike be. Thinking they could cut through the bike rack frame and bypass the locks in some way. Am I over thinking this problem or would an anchor attached to the body work be the answer?

The cable is the weak link...side cutters, bolt croppers or a battery angle grinder will deal with that in no time. I would just go with the cable and lock onto the frame, to deter the casual thief ....and not have an expensive bike.

I always feared for the bikes.

I fitted a steel cable with in inline alarm. Purchased online from a good cycle supplier. Can't remember the name. The cable was intertwined through the cycles, rack and the chassis of the motorhome.

It was never touched throughout France and Spain.

We always use Aires.

It gave us a peace of mind.

I should have mentioned the steel cable was good quality and if they cut it the alarm went off

Lets face it, bikes on a bike rack are not that difficult to nick if the thief has the right tools.

I use a couple of "U" locks to lock them together and to the bike rack, plus a cable alarm and a long wire as well.

Make sure your insurance is OK with them locked to the bike rack and relax.

The hardened motorbike chain locks are pretty good but also heavy. Cover them up so the thief can't see what you have.

I was the victim of an attempted theft but it failed completely.

One last point, do not use cheap locks, they are made of chocolate metal and can be opened with a hairpin, use a good brand. I use Yale but that's because I get staff discount through my son :-)

H

My solution to the issue was to buy cheap bikes that no one would want to steal.Have had no issues and as the bikes are exposed to all weather when we are on the road the chrome bits are no going rusty so even less attractive to thieves. cheers,

Mike88 - 2016-05-26 8:41 AM

My fear has always been that a thief could cut through the bike rack with a hacksaw and then slide the locking cable away from the rack.

That's certainly a possibility, however on the balance of risk is also probably low, and for the most part could be disregarded. Just good locks and chains/cable will mostly do what you need achieve, that trying to nick yours is not worth the bother, so they try another mug who's bikes are not as well protected.

Acquisitive crime is usually about feeding a drug or alcohol related dependency for which they need quick money. You can never be risk free, if it happens it happens, that's life.

cant see the point of having cheap bikes because the number one concern if theft...my wife and I have, expensive electric bikes which we fully enjoy specially now were getting old...we have fitted a wire alarm (like the type they use in shops to link goods together), plus the best D locks that are currently available, plus secondary thick steel cables..and a motorbike cover that completely covers both bikes......of course a profession theft would in TIME... get pass that lot..but TIME is a thief's bug bear Oh! we make sure that our insurance covers the replacement cost of bike theft..cant do much more than that!

Archived