Snooper Sat Nav support

bristol170kj

When I first bought the Snooper "S6000" I was really pleased with it but the support and new software releases now seem to be letting the company down! I haven't been impressed with the software that accompanies the Snooper sat nav either.

I bought the "life time" map updates about 18 months ago then had trouble updating the maps. After e-mailing Snooper support they said the SD card (original supplied with the unit) was not large enough and I needed a larger SD card. I couldn't go out and buy another and install it for the update I had to buy it from Snooper (I think it was about £25). The cards are somehow registered to Snooper.

I came to update the maps this year and now the latest Snooper update/downloader program insists on me putting the card into an SD card reader rather than connecting the unit via the USB cable. After putting the card into the PC card reader the PC recognises it and loads it as drive G:\ but the downloader program will not recognise the card and no updates are received, even though the card and files are visible through explorer.

Again talking to Snooper support they say that the program doesn't connect to an inbuilt SD card reader but needs an external SD card reader.

I have just replied saying I have no guarantee that a new separate SD reader will work and anyway there is no difference to an in built unit to a separate. I'm waiting for their reply.

In the meantime I'm now starting to consider dumping the Snooper and trying either TomTom or Garmin.

Does anyone have recommendations of a suitable unit to replace the Snooper please? I'm looking at the larger screen models with the ability to either load POI's or come with them already loaded.

I use the Tom Tom Live 1005. Motor home @ caravan. It's just been discontinued

It's first class. Downloads, live is great and diverts if req.

quick to start up, unlike my drivers Garmin.

I broke the screen and contacted Tom Tom. Paid a small price for the repair and they sent a new replacement

I tend to use it every day for my Airport transfer Buissness. Be lost without it ( literally)

Once you purchase from Tom Tom , you get 25% discount for any other purchases and can buy direct.

I'm not sure what the replacement is like, I purchased 1 for my driver 3 weeks ago and I'm going to have a look today.

So Tom Tom 10/10

Agaric - 2016-05-25 2:20 PM

My Nexus tablet was only £100, and you can buy some other makes cheaper, the whole set-up is still a lot cheaper than dedicated sat-navs.

Also you don't get dedicated hardware and software issues.

mmm OK, I see your point - I'll have a look. Thanks!

I too have an S6000 sat nav. It will update but the main problem is that Snooper only issue updates twice a year, approx November and June. So the ACSI 2016 update published in December by ACSI will not be available for the Snooper until next month!!

I find that the updates work better if you do not select the S6000 option but select "any other ..." on the menu.

As for built in card readers not being suitable - the so called technical support are talking through their USB :-D

I have lost faith with the so called technical support - chocolate teapots in my experience who don't get back to you when they say they will and offer the sort of advice you have received. I think the real problem is that the company has been bought by Cobra® Electronics EMEA and the new owners are not financing their technical support like the old company. Things might improve but I am not holding my breath.

I still have the Snooper 6000 Ventura, but have criticised it before on here. I still dont like it, having previously had a Small Garmin Quest, and a Mio device.

Recently my daughter gave me an unwanted raffle prize of a TOMTOM 25, uk and Irish maps.

I downloaded west europe maps on to it, and have found my way down here to agde from cherbourg using it.

I have added loads of France Passion poi onto it for those sites which seem closest to the outbound route, and am happy to say that we found 3 of the sites with no trouble at all..

I expect to be able to find some FP sites on the way home as well.. fuel shortages

permitting, we hope to try and follow the Creuse valley article for part of the return journey.

the west europe maps have a lot of campsites shown in france, if you find out how to turn them on as visible,

the snooper device was programmed at home to be used as a multy drop routeing. Unfortunately, it seems that if you switch it off overnight on the first stop, or intermediate stops, the next day it recalculates the route back to the originalstart point, but doesnt want to carry on your multidrop journey, from where you stayed overnight..A bit pointless unless you do the multydrop journey without turning it off !!!.

not happy with it, and wish I had never wasted my money.

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2016-05-26 1:14 PM

I still have the Snooper 6000 Ventura, but have criticised it before on here. I still dont like it, having previously had a Small Garmin Quest, and a Mio device.

Recently my daughter gave me an unwanted raffle prize of a TOMTOM 25, uk and Irish maps.

I downloaded west europe maps on to it, and have found my way down here to agde from cherbourg using it.

I have added loads of France Passion poi onto it for those sites which seem closest to the outbound route, and am happy to say that we found 3 of the sites with no trouble at all..

I expect to be able to find some FP sites on the way home as well.. fuel shortages

permitting, we hope to try and follow the Creuse valley article for part of the return journey.

the west europe maps have a lot of campsites shown in france, if you find out how to turn them on as visible,

the snooper device was programmed at home to be used as a multy drop routeing. Unfortunately, it seems that if you switch it off overnight on the first stop, or intermediate stops, the next day it recalculates the route back to the originalstart point, but doesnt want to carry on your multidrop journey, from where you stayed overnight..A bit pointless unless you do the multydrop journey without turning it off !!!.

not happy with it, and wish I had never wasted my money.

tonyg3nwl

Totally agree with the operation of the device. I am tottally unhappy with the software produced by this company. And why when you turn the machine off by the top button the battery still runs down - you have to turn the power switch off at the back. Certainly won't be wasting my money on any of this companies products.

Matrix Meanderer - 2016-05-25 11:18 PM

I too have an S6000 sat nav. It will update but the main problem is that Snooper only issue updates twice a year, approx November and June. So the ACSI 2016 update published in December by ACSI will not be available for the Snooper until next month!!

I find that the updates work better if you do not select the S6000 option but select "any other ..." on the menu.

As for built in card readers not being suitable - the so called technical support are talking through their USB :-D

I have lost faith with the so called technical support - chocolate teapots in my experience who don't get back to you when they say they will and offer the sort of advice you have received. I think the real problem is that the company has been bought by Cobra® Electronics EMEA and the new owners are not financing their technical support like the old company. Things might improve but I am not holding my breath.

Yes, the support staff do not know what they are talking about. I cant get passed their comments that I now need a seperate sd card reader. I'm not prepared to buy one just to try it, even though they are not expensive. Strange that connecting the snooper used to work with updates but the program has changed so it now doesnt.

Thanks for the info about the update date - i'll try again again next month.

Strange that happened to you, I also had to buy the new card, I thought it was £10?. Anyway I had no problem in updating which I have done twice or more since having it. As for support , when I got in trouble couple of years ago the guy was great he took over my pc and was so quick on the keys I could not keep up what was going on, job done.I might when I get time to try down load again to see whether there has been any changes and will post on here.

Coachman - 2016-05-26 8:27 PM

Strange that happened to you, I also had to buy the new card, I thought it was £10?. Anyway I had no problem in updating which I have done twice or more since having it. As for support , when I got in trouble couple of years ago the guy was great he took over my pc and was so quick on the keys I could not keep up what was going on, job done.I might when I get time to try down load again to see whether there has been any changes and will post on here.

Snooper's recent reply to my problems . . .

Good Afternoon

Internal PC Card readers are connected in a different way compared to SB card readers as the internal ones are active once the PC is powered on where as a usb one only becomes active once you connect it to the PC and it is read in a different manner.

With the S6000 we advise that you use an USB SD Card reader rather than an internal card reader.

Kind regards

Phil Wardale

. . . why this should stop their software from working when I insert the SD card is anyone's guess. If I was being cynical I would be thinking that they are not interested for such an old model (I think I have had this for about 5-6 years). Like I said I'm really against throwing more money at this issue, and am really unhappy with the company and the level of support. :o(

Archived