Wrong number of previous owners on sales advert

I purchased a MH which was advertised as 1 owner.

On collection I noticed the V5 said 2 owners but was advised that this was probably a dealer registration.

It transpires that there were 2 individual owners rather than 1.

Interested to hear any thoughts on whether this may be construed as mis-selling since it does have an affect on my selling the van as '2 previous owners' rather than '1 previous owner'

Can.t really see a problem. Surely the condition of the van is more important?

You could have 1 owner, who did not look after the van, or several owners who had cherished it

I would worry if the van was say 2 years old and had 2 owners (Why did they not keep it?)

PJay

I was convinced a car I sold recently had one previous owner, and it wasn't until it was sold and I was filling in the V5 that I noticed that it had two.

If you are not happy with the Moho you could complain, but you signed the V5 and it's no big deal.

PJay - 2016-06-01 8:50 AM

Can.t really see a problem. Surely the condition of the van is more important?

You could have 1 owner, who did not look after the van, or several owners who had cherished it

I would worry if the van was say 2 years old and had 2 owners (Why did they not keep it?)

PJay

Even then it's not always for sinister reasons.

Just before Christmas we parted with a 3 month old PVC that did not suit our needs at all and was a huge mistake on our part (despite years of Motorhome ownership and imparting all the right advice to prospective Motorhome owners!) and bought a 6 month old coachbuilt with only 800 miles on it. The previous owner had suffered the same problem - except he had a more valid excuse in that it was his first foray into motorhoming and he just didn't get along with it.

So, is it relevant how many owners it has had. Maybe not. As Pjay says, condition and whether it is the right van for you are much more important. I would like to think that the dealer would have got his/her facts right but you have to ask yourself the question - would I have still bought the van if I had known it had had two owners?

Enjoy your motorhoming.

Davud

The number of owners is a factor in valuing a vehicle, but the difference in value between otherwise identical vehicles with two owners and those with three is going to be a lot less than between either and a genuine one owner vehicle.  Hence why people describe something they are selling as "one previous owner" to give the impression that a twice owned vehicle has only had one.

If you bought from a dealer you might have a viable case, maybe less likely with a private purchase but either way it's unlikely to be worth suing for, once you've had the veicle for a while.  Not that I'm a lawyer, so waste some money on asking one if you feel strongly that you have been misled.

If the Op is happy with van, would not bother. Maybe not happy, and wants a discount/or get out?

PJay

Most people don't worry about buying a house with several owners, you make it suit your life style. Do the same with van.

Our van was a 1 previous owner van also, but when checking through the paperwork after purchase, I was puzzled by the service document which showed a previous registration change.

On following this up, it transpired the original owner first registered it on a personal plate, and the plate was changed when he sold it., giving the possible impression that there could have been 2 previous owners.

the v5 showed only one previous, and the original selling dealer was happy to confirm the change of registration..

tonyg3nwl

Hi,

Dealers will register vehicles in their own name, to entitle them to a manufacturers bonus, if it is getting close to the bonus cut-off date.

They will also register cars in the business name, so that they can be used as "demonstrators" ... which might mean they are fitted with all the little toys, and have a coddled life for a few months. On the other hand, we test-drove a "demonstrator" that had obviously been used as the office hack ... it was a mobile ashtray.

My SWMBO bought a pre-registered car, not realising that the Previous Owners clock was already ticking. Nor did she realise that the first service was due only 11 months after she bought it. She kept the car, a Hyundai i10, for three years, during which time it performed without fault. She only changed it when it was due an MOT, a service, and a pair of new tyres, all together ... and was offered a good trade in price, and 0% HP, on a new i10 ... she was expecting to pay cash.

DVLA should change a provably incorrect "No of Keepers".

Archived