Paint for Monococque Shell

Keith G

Hi All

Can anyone help with regard to the colour of a monococque shell (hope I spelt it right) on a Peugeot Boxer (1996) van. The only colour code given is under the bonnet and is 210 referring to the white body of the van.

The shell itself is a sort of duck-egg green colour and I need to touch up due to some body filling.

Thanks

:-o

Welcome to the forum, have you tried phoning Auto Sleeper as they are a font of this kind of information.

Another alternative is to visit an auto body repair shop and get it photo spectrometer identified.

One of the franchise operations like Chips Away might also do this for you.

Seek advice before buying primer or paint as not all will adhere to GRP and do be aware that the gel coat has probably bloomed and faded over the years and getting a precise match that will not show when painted might be quite a struggle.

The grp bodies are made by Cheltenham Laminating and they too might know?

Keith

I was under the impression that Auto-Sleepers’s GRP monocoque bodies were ‘through coloured’ rather than painted. If the colour is impregnated in the body’s gel-coat, it’s quite likely no paint colour-code available.

Even if you could obtain a colour-code from Auto-Sleepers or Cheltenham Laminating, after 20 years aging will undoubtedly have affected the original body colour.

As Tracker suggests, it would be best to get a car bodyshop with a spectrophotometer to match the present colour and provide you with suitable paint.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the very helpful tips , I understand what you mean that 20yrs can fade a colour no matter how good it looks to the naked in eye.

I shall take all on board and see what happens.

The original A/S handbook lists the colour code for the GRP. If you do not have the handbook phone A/S part dept with A/S build number and they will give the code. The trouble is the C/C may have 5 variations.

With whites or creams its very difficult to get a close match from colour cards in bright sunlight as the Mk1 eyeball cannot deal with the extremes of contrast.

I have had good results with using aerosol plastic primer and top coat from my local automotive paint shop. As ever its the preparation that counts and a lot of thin coats otherwise the paint starts to run.

Contact a good Autobody paint supplier who can 'photograph' the colour and the 'camera' (Spectrograph analyser?) give the details that the Paint supplier needs to make you the exact Colour.

Some of our vans can be 50 years old can be hard to match. All my photos are too big to upload, so loaded a model :

1233501100_CitroenHvancanvas2.jpg.308e38ff8b38b4dbe2b8e58de3aaa01b.jpg

Archived