Blocked Sink

Grateful for a bit of advice as to how to remove the build-up of soap and small particles from a sink drain trap. I'm able to clean out the bathroom sink drain trap as the screw cover on the base is accessible. This is not the case for the kitchen sink and I'm sure a build-up of soap residue is slowly constricting the flow through the drain trap. I'm reluctant to use some aggressive chemical, or even "Mr Muscle" type products unless I can be certain the use will not damage the pipework. Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks.

Boiling hot water is our first course. Then if that fails, soda crystals.

http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/tips/kitchen-cleaning-tips/

You can also buy motorhome friendly products but I don't know how effective they are. I've used the Thetford product to clean the waste tank and it worked.

http://www.fenwicks.info/caravan/index.php/interior-products/waste-pipe-tank-cleaner

Hot water with a bit of bleach slowly poured down and left for a few minutes will help soften it and gentle plunging will shift it (no bleach to avoid splashes).

Don't leave bleach in the sink too long as it will corrode stainless steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you had a look to see if any of the pipewaork is removable? Most campervan/caravan plumbing is of pushfit plastic and sometimes is all too easy to separate when you least want it. I suspect there is a join between the trap and the remainder of the pipe which should separate and then you can remove the trap from the sink drain and clean it 'on the bench'.

If there is a significant blackage then maybe a curtain wire will be able to move some of it, however if it is soap the hot water should do the trick.

Guest pelmetman
clifford62 - 2016-06-10 3:43 PM

More brass than sense. Boiling water, plunger and stop putting crap down the sink.

Or get a dog......ideal for pre washing the pots & Plates :D ........

After you have used Fenwicks, Fill sink with hot water then pull the plug for about 4 seconds then put plug back in for a couple of seconds. Keep doing this untill sink is empty (this works as though you are using a plunger) :-)

I wasn't aware that most motorhomes have a waste traps in the sink evacuation pipe, none of mine had them, nor the shower tray. I am aware of the potential for gunge to build up in the pipes, but I had always assumed that it was caused by limescale deposits, which then pick up grease and bits of food etc., and restrict the pipe and can cause unpleasant smells. We counter this by making sure that we wash up with really hot water containing lots of detergent and occasionally a bit of limescale remover.

AGD

Archived