2003 McLean 3 6

Mickt

From a previous posting this may help

"Look under the bonnet and in the middle of the engine bay you should find a large plastic cover held on by 4 nuts.(in the middle and not the relay box to the right) If you remove this you will find the charge and fridge relays along with a 4-way fuse box. Check these fuses.

Let us know how you get on."

hi i have a 2005 363 if yours is the same as mine and the leisure battery is under the drivers seat if you pull the black plastic base at the rear of the seat base off there is quite a lot of wiring there including a multi plug and inline fuse hth ken

Still searching the fridge relay i have found attatched to back of fridge.I have no box under bonnet nor any

relay under drivers seat. The original leisure battery was under drivers seat but i now have 2 under side seat.

Still searching the fridge relay i have found attatched to back of fridge.I have no box under bonnet nor any

relay under drivers seat. The original leisure battery was under drivers seat but i now have 2 under side seat.

Mickt - 2016-06-03 7:10 PM

Sorry but there is no box on the bulkhead

If you expect to locate a charge-control relay that looks like a small separate cube, you may well be on a loser.

I believe the advice provided above is relevant to UK-built motorhomes where normal practice is to fit a ’split-charge’ relay (often under the bonnet). But you own an Italian-built McLouis and common Continental European practice is to use a coupler/separator (a voltage-sensing relay) and to integrate this into a ‘black box’ that also incorporates other electrical gubbins.

Nordelettronica electrical equipment was certainly used on McLouis vehicles, but motorhome manufacturers don’t necessarily fit the same make or specification of electrical kit year-on-year, or even on all their models in a given year. But there’s a reasonable chance your motorhome has a Nordelettronica-based system and if that’s the case Allan of A and N Caravan Services may be able to help.

This 2008 discussion may be of interest

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Charging-leisure-battery/12986/

but it’s going to be difficult to provide useful advice without more information from you.

hi ok have you got the control panel above the hab door if so carefully prise the outer off from the bottom remove the 2 screws and pull the panel forward and have a look in there i cant remember whats in there but its worth a look ken

Find where your habitation fuse panel is which is probably behind one of the front seats on the end of a locker. ....its part of the pcb which carries the fuses. If you have a fridge relay behind the fridge then the system has been modified for some reason. Anyway, as I say the relay you want should be mounted in same unit as the habitation fuses. It is held in by 4 screws you will need to remove and carefully withdraw the unit so as not to break or stress any wires. The relays are soldered to the PCB.

Before you disturb the Fuseboard behind the seats (easy to damage and dislocate the wiring) look under the bonnet next to the Starter battery. You are looking for 'add on' type fuses, not part of the base vehicle, which are just 'loose'.

Usually a large Red 50A, a 20a and a 2a, or a variation on that. There can be from 2 up to 5 fuses all above or right next to the Starter battery.

These fuses get damaged if someone adds an extra battery or the battery becomes poor or both.

If these are all good it is likely the electronics in the Nordelettronica Fuseboard that drive the relay has failed, never seen a relay fail yet. Always the electronics that pick up the Alternator D+ signal failing to trigger both the Fridge and 'split charge' relays on the Fuse board itself.

If the fuses are all good under the bonnet and an Auto sparky confirms the Fuseboard is receiving the D+ signal but neither the Charging or Fridge operation is being activated when the Alternator starts spinning, then you most likely have a blown Fuseboard. They seem to get damaged following 'Jump Starts'.

The Fuseboard should be a Nordelettronica 1350.342.01 and look something like the photo, but may have a White face. Replacements are available new for £119, the price some charge for a repair.

The TE41L is the Display unit and no longer available new, but can be repaired.

The relay on the Bottom of the Fridge is a 'Red Herring', the initial signal is supplied by the Fuseboard.

542599233_NordelettronicaNE190.jpg.588e73ea1cd62a518ab653ee3e469854.jpg

I can't find a small enough PDF to post here of a wiring schematic of a Nordelettronica Fuse board, so have posted it at the bottom of the Nordelettronica page : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/nordelettronica.php

The diagram is of an NE185 with Current shunt so has a few more features, but the basic principal of operation is the same.

The English version can be found on Page 7, with a schematic on the second to last page.

RE1 is driven via electronic circuits that are effectively a current amplifier (so the Fuse board unit has the ability to drive multiple relays from what is a fairly low D+ signal. The unit also supplies an amplified D+ OUTPUT for driving auxiliary items like Satellite retraction, etc). This signal is initially supplied by the Alternator D+ trigger and electronics drive RE1 to connect the Starter battery and Habitation battery together so they share the Alternator charge.

RE4 is fed by the Fridge fuse, which then supplies 12v to the Fridge circuits. It is sometimes a relatively low power relay and a second heavy duty relay is often mounted on the Fridge. Especially if a higher wattage 12v element is fitted by the Motorhome Builder or a Fridge Freezer installed as opposed to just a Fridge.

RE9 is again driven by the D+ amplifier electronics to activate the Side Marker Lights.

Not shown, but a point is taken off the above circuits to drive the step extended warning alarm, or sometimes to drive Step auto retraction.

There are something like 47 different Nordelettronica fuse boards used in various Motorhomes. They are usually reliable unless excessive load is asked of them to pass high Charging currents from failing batteries.

Archived