Right angle arial cable

Colin Leake

We had to buy a new Avtex telly in a bit of a hurry when our old (very) one failed. Delighted with the new one picture quality and sound so much better. One reservation was the the socket for the arial was on the side in such a manner that the cable stuck out making it vulnerable to getting knocked out and also unsightly.

No problem I thought I'll buy one with a right angle fitting on the end. No luck there finding one. No problem I'll get a right angle adaptor thought I. No luck there either so I decided I'd look for a right angle fitting I could use to replace the straight connector. No luck at first untill we happened to be passing a branch of maplains. From the way it's packaged and looks it's easy to miss but they had a neat little black plastic job. The sales lady told me they sell loads of them. It's easy to fit needing just a sharp knife, a pair of pliers and a very small cross head screw driver. Cut the cable to the length required and fit. Makes a very near job that overcomes the problem and has the added bonus of making the cable the ideal length as well.

Do bear in mind that it's made to fit the latest small diameter cable so if you exist one is of the older fatter type you may need to buy a new cable.

Just got our Peugeot based PVC back today with a new dash fitted under warrenty to replace the old one that was displaying false warning lights. Garage tell me they've replaced quite a few.

Tracker - 2016-06-02 7:40 PM

I use one of these Colin, I also use one at home to 'bend' the cable back towards the wall!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084BVHT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Maplins one is flatter and being black blends in better plus you get the exact length of cable you need. Having said that if the outlet had been on the side next to the wall where it was not visible I would have happily used a simple metal adaptor.

david lloyd - 2016-06-02 8:51 PM

Lots of the type shown by Tracker in his link on EBay - about £2 - £2.50 inc postage.

How much???!!!!! 8-) 8-)

99pence.......and no faffing around fitting cables, cutting co-ax etc. Just plug 'n go!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Right-Angle-TV-Aerial-Cable-Connector-Male-Coax-Plug-to-Female-Socket-Adaptor-/141826245418?hash=item210580c32a:g:hSgAAOSwiwVWRGbj

Bulletguy - 2016-06-03 12:19 AM

Lots of the type shown by Tracker in his link on EBay - about £2 - £2.50 inc postage.

How much???!!!!! 8-) 8-)

99pence.......and no faffing around fitting cables, cutting co-ax etc. Just plug 'n go!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-Right-Angle-TV-Aerial-Cable-Connector-Male-Coax-Plug-to-Female-Socket-Adaptor-/141826245418?hash=item210580c32a:g:hSgAAOSwiwVWRGbj

Yes, you're right, very expensive, but I didn't mean it to be the only alternative - just the same one that Tracker suggested. Also, when I read the reviews on the maplins plug it sounds like not a very well designed bit of equipment with people pointing to the poor quality of the internal fixings.

In the end I used a 3 way adaptor that I had in the box spare - cheaper than 99p as I had it given!!!

David

david lloyd - 2016-06-03 7:47 AM

How much???!!!!! 8-) 8-)

Yes, you're right, very expensive, but I didn't mean it to be the only alternative - just the same one that Tracker suggested. Also, when I read the reviews on the maplins plug it sounds like not a very well designed bit of equipment with people pointing to the poor quality of the internal fixings.

In the end I used a 3 way adaptor that I had in the box spare - cheaper than 99p as I had it given!!!

David

Can't see what the problem is with the Maplins plug. Central core wraps round a simple screw and outer sheath is held secure by crimps. I do admit at first glance because it is mainly made of plastic it looks less substantial but ours is doing the job just fine. Possibly repeatedly pulling it out by the cable may not be a good idea but why would anyone want to do that? Main advantage as far as I'm concerned is the neat appearance and small size. True you have to cut the cable and fit it but that only takes a few minutes and is time well spent in my opinion to end up with the ideal length of cable. I did have a spare three way adaptor but it looked a bit of a bodge up when i tried it.

How much???!!!!! 8-) 8-)

David

Ahh but Richard is loaded and has money to burn! :D :D

Colin Leake - 2016-06-03 10:43 AM

How much???!!!!! 8-) 8-)

David

Can't see what the problem is with the Maplins plug. Central core wraps round a simple screw and outer sheath is held secure by crimps. I do admit at first glance because it is mainly made of plastic it looks less substantial but ours is doing the job just fine. Possibly repeatedly pulling it out by the cable may not be a good idea but why would anyone want to do that? Main advantage as far as I'm concerned is the neat appearance and small size. True you have to cut the cable and fit it but that only takes a few minutes and is time well spent in my opinion to end up with the ideal length of cable. I did have a spare three way adaptor but it looked a bit of a bodge up when i tried it.

I suspect the 'problem' recounted by some reviewers may not be in the plug Colin but in the reviewers ability to cut a piece of coaxial cable and fit it in the plug! Personally, I take the online reviews with a large pinch of salt.

David

To be fair I can understand their problem some people just can't or won't do this sort of thing. My daughter had to confiscate her husbands Swiss Army knife when he cut himself and finished up in A&E cutting up an apple! Fortunatly she is ace at such tasks and if all fails calls dad.

dawki - 2016-06-03 7:09 PM

Hi Colin I bought the same TV a couple of weeks ago and had the same problem as yourself

But managed to find these which does the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-Metre-Right-Angle-Angled-TV-RF-Aerial-Lead-Cable-Male-to-Coax-Coaxial-Gold-/262129619891?hash=item3d082493b3:g:tPMAAOSwT5tWO8U1

d

Brilliant that has to be the best solution. Wish I'd found it myself. Two gold stars for you.

I would like to wish a big thank you to Tracker for his link to the Right Angle fitting. I ordered 2 yesterday pm and they arrived this morning. Thanks.

I notice that Aldi will shortly be selling a swivel TV bracket for £14.99. Unfortunately I managed to delete the email accidentally. Maybe someone could put a link to it as it looks a good deal at that price for someone.

Archived