Caravan Club credit card

Colin Leake

Just in case anyone is using one of these and is away on an extended holiday it's worth pointing out the it's being withdrawn with effect from the 28th of July when the account will be transferred to a Barclay Card Freedom Reward card. The old card will still work for 30 days and in that time they will send you a new card to your home address which is not very helpful if your not there. In our case I'm not very impressed with the card they are transferring us to so we've already opened an alternative with the intention of only continuing to use the club card untill we have enough points to give us one final nights site voucher before closing the card. Shame realy because it was a realy good scheme.

Although I have one, I do not necessarily agree it was such a good scheme. You need to spend £3000 to get one site voucher worth £20, so the reward part was never a big deal for me. I keep it as at my age getting another one is possibly not so easy, but then again I have never bothered to check. I pay it off every month so no interest fees to pay. I will look at the new card and if it does what I need then will continue.

We do not spend enough on any card to really justify a cashback type of card, I just use it for odd purchases and as back up to cash.

We save around £24 pounds on each site voucher which works out at 0.8% which by today's standards is good. Some cards look as if they offer good rates but if you look at the details there are always limitations. Still it's gone now and that's that. Five a year used to amount to £120 and as they say every little helps.

Archived