Some advice on this Pilote G830LC please

andy1100xx

Hi all

New to the forum. We've been motorhoming using rental vans for a while now to get a feel for the best layout for us and have narrowed it down to a island bed A class with a good payload. We have found a Pilote Explorateur Galaxy G830LC that seems to tick all the boxes.

http://www.hayesleisure.co.uk/used-motorhome-pilote-explorateur-galaxy-g-830-lc-motorhome-429

We are planning to check it out tomorrow but I don't have much experience of Pilote - does this look like a good deal? To be honest, it's a bit older (2008) and more miles (32k) than we we're used to - is there anything to be concerned about and anything specific I should be checking?

thanks in advance for any help

Andy

We had a 2007 Explorateur 4.1/5 years, it was a low profile with twin single beds, it was brilliant. Theonbly reason we changed it was we wanted a smaller length van. Hayes and Pilote are very good people to deal with and if you do decide on this van then, if you can, book a factory visit online. When we went all except us were French but they provided an English Interpreter for us, it was a really good day and you can stay overnight on their very large car-park which is secure from 8pm to 6.30am.

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

First response from me... Well that's a MONSTER!

But if it ticks all your boxes then so be it. Just remember you will be limited on where you can go with it, ie towns and cities, and it is probably going to be expensive on tolls if you take it abroad but that is your choice.

My only other point is that it is on a 2008 Fiat Tag Axle chassis with the Comfortmatic gearbox. This is an early X2/50 and there where very many reports of manuals 'Juddering' and IIRC a couple of reports of issues with the Comformatic. Try reversing it up a steepish slope before you part with any money or make a test drive including reversing conditional on the sale.

Other than that it looks a nice MH.

Keith.

Randonneur - 2016-06-03 1:53 PM

We had a 2007 Explorateur 4.1/5 years, it was a low profile with twin single beds, it was brilliant. Theonbly reason we changed it was we wanted a smaller length van. Hayes and Pilote are very good people to deal with and if you do decide on this van then, if you can, book a factory visit online. When we went all except us were French but they provided an English Interpreter for us, it was a really good day and you can stay overnight on their very large car-park which is secure from 8pm to 6.30am.

Sounds fun :-D

Keithl - 2016-06-03 5:22 PM

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

First response from me... Well that's a MONSTER!

But if it ticks all your boxes then so be it. Just remember you will be limited on where you can go with it, ie towns and cities, and it is probably going to be expensive on tolls if you take it abroad but that is your choice.

My only other point is that it is on a 2008 Fiat Tag Axle chassis with the Comfortmatic gearbox. This is an early X2/50 and there where very many reports of manuals 'Juddering' and IIRC a couple of reports of issues with the Comformatic. Try reversing it up a steepish slope before you part with any money or make a test drive including reversing conditional on the sale.

Other than that it looks a nice MH.

Keith.

I've read a few comments about the juddering in reverse, i'll make sure to check that out thanks.

Archived