Winter storage tip

Simon

When not in use over the winter, we keep an oiled filled radiator in the van. However, the thermostat on this was poor and it was difficult to set an accurate temperature. In a B&Q Superstore we found a digital thermostat which plugs into a 240v socket and has a socket on the front of it, much like the digital timers you can get. The controls allow you to set the temperature at which the load is switched on and you can monitor the maximum and minimum temperatures within the van. It cost about £15 but I expect it will pay for itself in a few years.

Another tip - when storing the van for any length of time I adjust the Fiat venilation control to re-circulation which effectively isolates the vents from the outside. There`s enough ventilation around the omni-vent to stop the air getting stale.

Simon

WE tend to use the thermostatically controlled oil-filled radiator on the coldest of nights, but really find the Rapido not over cold inside - perhasp that's 'cos where we live.....! Ventilation - enough of that through the doors anyway, even when static! (Fiat, of course)

We don't use anything in our van, never have in any of them, from an old Commor, Ambulance, Elddis, Swift and now Rapido, even though we are up north in East Yorkshire and we have a bitter north wind that blows across the field to our front and up our drive and right onto the van. We've never had a problem with the van feeling damp, and we do leave the cushions etc in, including the bed made up. We do use it for the odd trip out to the shops to keep the engine ticking over and the wheels moving round and give it a good airing, usually every 3-4 weeks. We do go away in it over the Christmas holiday period though so it gets a good outing then. But when it's stood, for up to 2 months without an 'overnight' stop, and just the occasional jaunt, we've never had a problem. I must admit though that the Rapido has got the best insulation of all the vans we've had.

Why don't you use your motorhome in the winter? Most vans have half decent heaters in them now and there are loads of places to visit over weekends or for the week. Many of the popular places look a lot better in the winter and are never busy. There are loads of sites open in the winter and I considerthis is one of the better times to visit them. No doubt you have spent a lot of money on your van get out there and get your moneys worth from your van, I am sure you will enjoy it, give it a try. See you out there. Little big WORMS

Yes everyone, I do use my van in winter! Because of this I don`t drain the water system down completely each time and worry about it freezing if the van is stood for a couple weeks. The vans parked next to the garage so it only takes a couple of minutes to put the radiator in.

Archived