Migrants at Dunkirk

StuartO

We are overnighting at the Dunkirk Ferry Port, awaiting an 0800 crossing tomorrow morning, an Approach we've used several times before without concern.

But the main migrant camp has now moved to Dunkirk and it located on the E side of the roundabout of Junction 54 of the A16, where just on the other side of the motorway, a short walk away, is the Dunkirk Auchan, in a large commercial shopping centre. 
is als
We called for fuel and there were lots of migrants roaming the Comercial Centre. We didn't feel we could leave the MH to go shopping so we departed rapidly.
Here at the Port, on the new car park of the new DFDS Ticket Office, there is no sign of migrants at all. This place would be quite a hike from the camp for a migrant, across several miles of what is mostly barren industrial wasteland, even though the Port is accessed from only one junction along the A16. 
This Ferry Port never seemed an attractive prospect  for a migrant wanting to board a vehicle, so we preferred overnighting here to using Calais at any time. Crossing at breakfast time gives us a full days driving from Dover. 
But the new location of the main migrant camp gave us quite a shock - fancy putting it so close to Auchan? And I have little doubt that the migrants will have access to transport to get here if necessary. 

Dunkirk Port never seemed likely to attract migrants but now I'm not so sure. It's an exposeocation in and only one ferry every two hours, so nothing like the traffic of Calais.  But with the main migrant camp so close and Calais having beefed up its fencing etc Dunkirk is looking less attractive to me. 

Admittedly now just month since we travelled over from Calais. Stayed overnight at Cite Europe along with about 6 others. Migrants, never saw one even on the main approach to the terminal. Sugests the authorities have it in control until the activists appear to stir it up

It's a lovely evening here now, a real change from the grey Druze sky when we got here for a late lunch. The new Ferry Port layout is very open and I was sufficiently concerned about migrants wandering after dark to ask about crossing early. They could have got me on to the 4pm at an extra cost of £96 but my anxieties didn't extend that far, so we're here overnight as originally planned, ears cocked for migrants. Any later than the 4pm ferry would have got us to UK too late to get into the Canterbury C&CC Site, which is more appealing to us than the Aire. We may regret it but we're sticking to Plan A. 
No migrants appeared yet but the man at the Ticket Office did say they do come to the Port area, mainly to the trunk side of check in rather than our car park. Fingers crossed for overnight. 
I may start using Calais again next time!

I've used Dunkerque port for years now in preference to Calais as i got fed up with the heavy handed brusque manner of the border control guys. Dunkerque authorities are way more polite and good to deal with.

I used to shop at Auchan and also tank up there but don't bother now as fuel prices are cheaper just over the border in Belgium. I overnight at Bray-Dunes aire which is in the town centre and only a few minutes drive from the Ferry port. There is an excellent Carrefour nearby the aire and also a very good m/h accessory shop just out of town (must note the co-ords down next time i pass it!).

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-04 10:14 PM

"heavy handed brusque manner of the border control guys."

Can you please explain as I find it hard to take exception to "good morning sir, passports please and then have a good day"

Do you antagonise them?

Nope. They'd come in my van, move anything that was on the seats, not shut cupboard doors properly after opening and were abrupt in manner. But the final straw came when i was sitting in my van waiting to be seen and i heard a guy wrenching at the locked side door who then proceeded to bang his fist on the side panel. I got out and tore him off a strip.

I never used Calais port again after that.

Bulletguy - 2016-06-05 3:16 AM

Can you please explain as I find it hard to take exception to "good morning sir, passports please and then have a good day"

Do you antagonise them?

Nope. They'd come in my van, move anything that was on the seats, not shut cupboard doors properly after opening and were abrupt in manner. But the final straw came when i was sitting in my van waiting to be seen and i heard a guy wrenching at the locked side door who then proceeded to bang his fist on the side panel. I got out and tore him off a strip.

I can understand your feelings. I was rather surprised that our vehicle, or any other I was aware of, was not searched. Having previously been searched, with no problems, I was aware of where they would need access and was prepared.

Hope you do not have the same experience at Dunkirk as you will start to run out of routes to use.

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-05 8:40 AM

Do you antagonise them?

I can understand your feelings. I was rather surprised that our vehicle, or any other I was aware of, was not searched. Having previously been searched, with no problems, I was aware of where they would need access and was prepared.

Hope you do not have the same experience at Dunkirk as you will start to run out of routes to use.

We nearly always were searched at either Calais or Dover and at Dunkirk, since we've started using the tunnel we've never been seached....strange. Still prefer the ferry though, just overall a nicer experience in my view.

Do you antagonise them?

I've used Dunkerque now for the past 10 years and the difference is best described as chalk 'n cheese. If i'm in the van they approach from the driver side and ask "excuse me sir, would you mind if i just do a quick search in your van please?" If wanting to look inside the shower/toilet or any cupboards they ask if they can open the door. They always thank me on exiting too. I've often complimented them on their courtesy and politeness but they are simply being professional in their approach.

Quite why i never used Dunkerque before i don't know as all my touring is in the East so as a start point it actually suits me better. I think like many people i'd simple become 'conditioned' to using Calais out of habit.

Bulletguy - 2016-06-05 1:40 PM

Do you antagonise them?

I've used Dunkerque now for the past 10 years and the difference is best described as chalk 'n cheese. If i'm in the van they approach from the driver side and ask "excuse me sir, would you mind if i just do a quick search in your van please?" If wanting to look inside the shower/toilet or any cupboards they ask if they can open the door. They always thank me on exiting too. I've often complimented them on their courtesy and politeness but they are simply being professional in their approach.

Quite why i never used Dunkerque before i don't know as all my touring is in the East so as a start point it actually suits me better. I think like many people i'd simple become 'conditioned' to using Calais out of habit.

Your experience at Dunkerque exactly mirrors the experience I had at Calais so it looks like you were unlucky on the day, or perhaps always lucky at Dunkerque?

Mike88 - 2016-06-05 8:24 AM

I know we are all different but I don't understand why people don't get the latest ferry out of Calais and spend the night at Dover giving an early start the following day.

Or why stay at Calais or Dunkirk at all? There are plenty of Aires nearby away from the ports where there are no risks of bumping into anyone trying to get into the UK illegally.

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-05 1:54 PM

Your experience at Dunkerque exactly mirrors the experience I had at Calais so it looks like you were unlucky on the day, or perhaps always lucky at Dunkerque?

Or maybe the officers at Calais have undergone an intensive course of retraining?!!

Calais has always been a much busier port than Dunkerque which doesn't help. Perhaps the idiot who banged on my van and wrenched at the door was just having a bad day but as he'd already seen me sitting in the driver seat i found his attitude reprehensible.

Well we got home safely, with no sign of migrants - and even had a decent night's sleep at Dunkirk Ferry Port, once the noisy bunch of kids which was orbiting or motorhome eventually went back inside their own vehicle.  We woke at 0530 to a chorus of activity around us and looked out to see the car park crammed with cars and lots of people apparently turning up to buy tickets at the last minute.  There was also already a big queue of six lanes at the nearby check in, so the last weekend of half term was proving to be very busy.  No wonder DFDS had emailed us to advise that we allowed 90 minutes before sailing time to check in.

So we waited until just after 0600 to join the check in queue for our 0800 sailing, the next one, assuming the queue would have shrunk, which in fact it hadn't at all.  Each line had about fifteen vehicles in it - and we got sent back to the Office because of an error in our Pet Passport which a zealous trainee check in girl spotted, so we did it twice.

Then it was the French Police, only two lines there and they who normally simply wave you through, were being inquisitive, presumably something to do with their own terrorist alert state.  Then the dreaded British Border Force, again only two lanes so another long, slow business - and then just when we'd finished there was another stage of checking, by a security company called EMS, a gang of whom were searching every vehicle, presumably for migrants.  A blond young man dressed like a SWAT Team member (and a "team leader badge" was strutting his stuff and waving his arms unintelligably but the rest were polite enough as well as through.  I had of course already searched our lockers and towed car for migrants before we left the car park.

Maybe this thoroughness is why there were no migrants to be seen, the word had got around.  It took a good 50 minutes to get into our queuing lane for departure, by which time it was already moving for loading.  The Ferry was clearly well loaded but we still got away on time at 0800, so well done DFDS and everyone else.

Dunkirk Ferry Port has a completely new layout and you will not recognise it from your previous visit.  New fencing (very robust) and a new check in pathway which incorporates high-tech screening systems for all the lorries.  It's all very impressive - even the toilets in the new Ticket Office are nice!

Will I use Dunkirk again?  At least I'll think about it.  If they keep up with thorough in screening for migrants at Dunkirk Ferry Port presumably the message will get back and the migrants won't bother turning up or bother the camping cars in the car park, so maybe I will.  But I won't be going anywhere near Dunkirk's Auchan at Grand Synthe, which is also where the new migrant camp is.

I gave up with Dunkerque Auchan long back when the bargains that used to be seemed to be getting more expensive. Years ago i bought a semi-industrial power washer from there for £70. Imagine my surprise when i got back home, googled the brand name and found there was a UK distributor and repair centre 25 miles away. An even bigger shock was the listed price of £190!

Those sort of bargains have gone from Auchan now. Fuel is cheaper over the border in Belgium just up the road and beer/baccy choice plentiful and lower than France. In fact the only thing cheaper in France, according to a Belgium trader who told me, is bottled water. The Frenchies buy their booze and baccy in Belgium, the Belgies buy their bottled water in France!

In all honesty I never stay at or near the ports. we usually book eurotunnel for about 10 am and travel in from about 30 or so miles from the ferry or tunnel. Relax in a small village in France for your last night. Much better for us. Usually we get to eurotunnel and they always offer an earlier crossing if we want it.

Chris

chris - 2016-06-08 11:15 PMIn all honesty I never stay at or near the ports. we usually book eurotunnel for about 10 am and travel in from about 30 or so miles from the ferry or tunnel. Relax in a small village in France for your last night. Much better for us. Usually we get to eurotunnel and they always offer an earlier crossing if we want it. Chris

That's certainly one way to try to minimise the risk of bumping into migrants but it's not foolproof (because migrants can decide to invade the Tunnel approach roads etc at any time and cause nuisance as you drive in) and it's relatively expensive in crossing charges to use daytime crossings.  And your favourite stopping place 30 miles away might not remain available either (the French are more than capable of closing roads and blocking off parking spaces at short notice) so there isn't really a perfect, future-proof answer.  You need to keep an open mind and adapt your approach, and be prepared to change your plans if trouble looks like it is brewing.

We visited auchan yesterday for our wine supply,not a migrant in sight,although we didn't realise until reading this thread,just how close their camp is to auchan. Hubby always stays in the van anyway,as he doesn't like to leave the van unattended. We normally get our fuel there, but because of the strike decided to get it in Belgium. So glad we did, e1.07 against e1.13 at auchan ( no shortage here).

We then overnighted at the new Dunkirk terminal parking. Plenty of motorhomes joined us and it was a peaceful night. Security was the best we've experienced yet , very thorough search inside the van, but,alas, missed looking in our large outside garage !! ( we've decided at a push it could accommodate about 4 migrants). so still not 100% secure.

Not been through Dunkirk before, Dfds web site is only showing prices for 10m vans going over to Calais, yet Dunkirk has 7 & 8 m van prices.

We have usually got the last ferry over and stayed on Calais port, are we able to stay overnight at Dunkirk ? ??.

I am not going to pay the cost of a 10m van to use Calais.

Archived