Solar panel connections in a Rapido

DavidBrown

Hi. As some of u are aware I have a Rapido v56 2015 model. And we have the connections for a solar panel already installed. I was wondering if anyone else had this and has installed a solar panel themselves. As I was thinking about purchasing one. But really I wanted it portable so I didn't have to start drilling holes ect ..

Just wondering how I would go about this. And using the connections already installed ?

Cheers. :-D

As you’ll be aware Rapido recommends that a solar panel be installed and connected only by a Rapido dealership.

I don’t know what a Rapido V56’s solar-panel pre-cabling system involves (my 2015 Rapido 640 is not ‘pre-cabled’ for solar) but if I were in your position my first port of call would be the Rapido dealership that sold me the motorhome as they should know how a ‘permanent' installation is normally carried out.

In principle using the standard system for a portable panel instead of a permanent one should be straightforward - you’d just have to decide which connectors to use to allow the portable panel to be easilly connected/disconnected and where to install the connectors.

I’m tempted to suggest though that, if you plan to go down the portability route, you might be better ignoring the pre-cabling and opt for a complete kit comprising the panel(s), regulator and necessary cabling. For example:

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/index.php?sid=2gn56w3497u188uoanm7x36g6q97q76e&app=gbu0&ns=prodsearchp&gbu0--prodsearch--string=Portable&gclid=CNvwuffiks0CFeEp0wodlccJIg

Hi thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

After thinking about it. What you have said makes total sense. I would definitely get a Rapido dealer to install a solar panel if I was going to go down that route. As obviously they encourage this by not supplying you with any information at all with how it's connected or works.

If I was to get a portable one. Do you just connect it to the battery terminals with the clips provided and then this would charge the battery's. And would I be able to connect this to the vehicles battery and then once it had charged this then go on to charge the leisure battery's. (I have 2 btw) or is this just me living in a dream land and it isn't as simple.

Cheers :-D

Hi

I have a Campereve 643 PVC, which is basically the same as your Rapido V56 as far as fitting a panel is concerned (they come from same factory). I DIY'ed mine, as there is a 3-4x markup on the price of the kit to get it 'professionally' installed by a Rapido dealer.

The connection points in the overhead locker are designed to save you feeding cables down the back of the wall panels, but it is still required to drill a hole in the roof for the panel cables. The lower end of the factory-fitted cables are not attached to anything, this is where your solar regulator goes. My control panel did not have a solar input, yours may do. If it doesn't then you can site your solar regulator under the floor panel in the dinette, and then run cables to the battery(s) via an inline fuse.

Pic of roof here: http://photos.veletron.com/index.php/album151/New-Van-Campereve-Magellan-643/Front-Road-Cam-JPG_2016-02-24_123944

http://photos.veletron.com/index.php/album151/New-Van-Campereve-Magellan-643/Front-Cam_2016-02-24_123933

You'll note that there's three panels on my roof, the front one is 120W, the rears are 40W each. These are connected in parallel. If I were fitting say 2x100W panels, and using an MPPT controller I would have connected them in series. For series connection, currents must match while for parallel connection, voltages must match. Dont connect in series with basic PWM controller - the losses (to heat) will be massive!

I used a double entry gland to get the cables inside the van, sealed with sikaflex. The panel brackets are silka'ed to the roof, while the panel is screwed to the brackets using stainless self tappers.

If you do this, use proper double-insulated solar panel cables, and drill two holes in the roof to match the 2 holes in the gland. Measure twice, drill once and buy a new drill bit!! You will need some zinc primer/top-coat to paint the holes after drilling. A needle file is handy for removing any burrs. If you drill the holes where I did then there is nothing structural in the way underneath, but once through the metal, go gently when drilling through the top of the cupboard or you will loose the laminate on the inside!

When mounting the panel, do so using the ridges on the ripped roof, and take care not to block any of the troughs. You want water to still be able to run off the roof. When ordering the panel, consider the size required by the mounts, it needs to fit between the existing stuff on the roof! The Alu mounts I used on the rear panel are neat, and come in a wider version to suit a 100W panel - they mounts don't require as much root space either.

Regulator wise, knowing that I keep my vans for a good while, I blew £100 on a decent epSolar MPPT programmable regulator with a remote display. The display is fitted above the front passenger seatbelt exit (handy spot for gauges, big void behind).

There are many solar kits for motorhomes on ebay/amazon, but beware some of the really cheap ones with the poor quality regulators, cables and glands. If you want to charge the can battery too, then get a dual output regulator.

Nigel

DavidBrown - 2016-06-06 8:46 AM

Hi thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

After thinking about it. What you have said makes total sense. I would definitely get a Rapido dealer to install a solar panel if I was going to go down that route. As obviously they encourage this by not supplying you with any information at all with how it's connected or works.

If I was to get a portable one. Do you just connect it to the battery terminals with the clips provided and then this would charge the battery's. And would I be able to connect this to the vehicles battery and then once it had charged this then go on to charge the leisure battery's. (I have 2 btw) or is this just me living in a dream land and it isn't as simple.

Cheers :-D

A ‘portable’ kit would normally combine the solar panel and regulator and simply connect to the target battery via crocodile clips. If you wanted to charge your Rapido’s starter battery as well as its leisure batteries, you’d just disconnect from the latter and connect to the former. Obviously you could hard-wire connections to the leisure and starter batteries that would avoid using crocodile clips, but if you wanted more sophistication you’d be better to opt for a ‘conventional’ system and roof-mount the panel.

A fully portable kit has attractions (cost, simplicity) but is likely to be more suitable to caravanning than motorhoming.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/solar-power/

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7661274/ccmjultechnical.pdf

Another 'plus' for a portable kit is that they can be angled and pointed directly at the sun. You'll get twice the real-power from the same power panel if you re-orientate it to point at the sun throughout the day vs one just sat flat on the roof. The further away from the equator you are the bigger the difference.

The fit-and-forget nature of a permanently-mounted panel wins the race for me though

Nigel

Archived