New Motor Home registration

winewalker

We have bought a new motor got it insured with out a registration so that it can be registered with the DVLA then the logbook sent back to our address to allow us to pick up our motor home after the plates have been fitted. Does this sound right? People have been telling me that with a new car they have allocated reg numbers and you pick car up and the log book comes later. Hope this makes sense.

winewalker

Wasn’t this dealt with adequately in your earlier inquiry?

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/New-Motor-home-insurance-problems/41870/

Some buyers of new motorhomes seem able to choose a registration number from a list held by the vending dealership (that was the case when I bought my Rapido 640 in 2015) while others don’t. The particular procedure adopted may depend on the insurance supplier and/or the motorhome dealership.

May I ask why you are concerned about this? As long as you get the vehicle insured and registered correctly, and you quickly obtain the (correct) V5 registration document, does the exact procedure involved matter?

Its the timing that Is the problem. You must have had your van straight away as soon as it was prepared and could use it where as our van is prepared but we are waiting for the log book to arrive from the DVLA before we can pick it up. I am happy to know as with my insurance question that either process is normal just depends on your dealer. Just frustrating you are at the the mercy of the DVLA over a holiday period whereas you had your van and log came along later with no wait. Thanks for your reply.

The ‘normal’ procedure when buying a new car is that (as has been advised previously) the car dealership will have been assigned a batch of registration numbers by the DVLA and the customer picks one of the numbers that hasn’t already been registered to another car or has been chosen by another buyer.

Car dealers can ‘fast track’ registration via an on-line system linked to the DVLA, but I’m not sure this procedure can be used for motor caravans. It certainly used to be the case that registration of a new motor caravan demanded that the vendor sent hard-copy documentation to the DVLA, but this may have changed.

It would seem from what you’ve said that you have had no choice of registration number and your vendor (AEG Motorhomes) won’t know the number (and consequently cannot produce/fit registration plates) until the DVLA has assigned a registration number to your motorhome and you’ve received the V5C registration document stating what the number is and can pass this information on to AEG Motorhomes. If that’s a fair summary of the situation I can understand your irritation.

In my case Highbridge Caravans offered me a choice of registration numbers on placing the order and I passed that number on to my insurance provider. When I took delivery of the motorhome the registration plates had been fitted.

In fact I received two V5C registration documents from the DVLA with conflicting advice on what I should do with the first V5C. (I destroyed it.) Highbridge Caravans told me this wasn’t that unusual with non-UK-built motorhomes, but I don’t know what provoked issue of the 2nd V5C that seemed to be little different from the 1st.

(You might want to ask AEG Motorhomes why they seemingly don’t have a batch of registration numbers from which buyers of new vehicles can choose. There may be a simple explanation.)

Archived