on site internet charges.

tonyg3nwl

Just had to buy the next 2 weeks internet, cost 24 euro for connection to 2 devices .relative slow speed connection, suitable for email, but not a lot else.

I feel this is exhorbitant charge for what we get compared with home costs. Is this typical of all campsites..ripitoff incorporated.

how much do other sites charge ?.tonyg3nwl

I take it you are taking about internet charges on a UK campsite.

We had free WiFi on a municipal campsite in France for which the total charges, including tow car, trailer, dog and OH, were under 10€ per night.  I did a speed test out of curiosity and it was slowish but not bad at 2-3 Mbps, certainly good enough for browsing and emails.

It's a different world abroad!  (And they don't always get lousy weather!)

Hi

I rarely stay at sites on continent that don't have free internet. If I overnight at one I just pop round to nearest McDonalds for free wifi (download paper and emails).

Just back from three weeks in Ireland and every site had free wifi.

Last year in Iceland those that had wifi were mostly free.

Going round Scandinavia two years ago again many free and there was always MacDonalds.

The U.K. Sites are very backward and seldom have free wifi so I sometimes buy a package. The CC and CCC have reasonable packages for 12 months, but I still think they are backwards: it should be considered an essential utility.

Peter

tonyg3nwl - 2016-06-06 3:56 PM

Just had to buy the next 2 weeks internet, cost 24 euro for connection to 2 devices .relative slow speed connection, suitable for email, but not a lot else.

I feel this is exhorbitant charge for what we get compared with home costs. Is this typical of all campsites..ripitoff incorporated.

how much do other sites charge ?.tonyg3nwl

Been here in Croatia for one month and have yet to pay for connection

johnfromnorfolk - 2016-06-06 7:09 PM

Spent all last summer (May till Sept) and used free internet connection at Tourist info. offices.

Always available, even outside when closed.

Sometimes limited to 15 minutes but long enough for me to look at and send emails.

Should read Spent all last summer in France. Sorry

johnfromnorfolk - 2016-06-06 7:09 PM

Spent all last summer (May till Sept) and used free internet connection at Tourist info. offices.

Always available, even outside when closed.

Sometimes limited to 15 minutes but long enough for me to look at and send emails.

Should read Spent all last summer in France. Sorry

I've found that in France I sometimes have to pay ( but not much ) and other times it's free.

However, when it's "free " I assume it's been included in the site fee - so the " free " bit is all in the mind.

;-)

Caravan Club charges £24 for twelve months unlimited internet and the service is quite fast I'm on it at the moment and have even been watching TV because the local transmitter has gone tits up. Given that others on the site may be doing the same I'm suppressed it was able to cope.

When touring Sweden and Norway for two months 3 years ago, and wild camping most of the time, I used town libraries every couple of days for checking emails. Occasionally I used McDonalds.

In France I've used Tourist Information Centres.

Tony G3NWL from Keith G3TTC

The availability of WiFi is a rapidly changing scene and we've used different approaches almost every year. 

Once upon a time I used McDonalds  regularly for WiFi and quite enjoyed going in there for a coffee to go on line.  Mostly I resisted the temptation to buy food as well but occasionally a cheeseburger would tempt me.

Three years ago I bought an SFR dongle for use in France and it cost 30€ for a month's use (with an upper limit of Mbs, can't remember what) and a one off charge for the dongle( another 30€ or so) which gave excellent coverage.  I gave it away recently because it had become obsolete.  We currently use Three's Feel at Home service and the free WiFi at sites, to the extent that I no longer bother with the free WiFi at McDonalds.  I haven't bothered connecting at a Tourist Office for a couple of years either. 

I've learned to make better use of my smartphone for browsing, which helps, and this year got the hang of using this forum on it.

By the way beware the phone connection and WiFi on cross channel ferries is neither French nor British for charging purposes and you get clobbered by full international rates for calls of over £1 per minute etc.  I switch my phone off on the ferry to make sure I'm not getting charged these rates.

Hi I have found most wifi sites slow and expensive, I have an iPad and pay £8 per month for a '3' SIM card that allows me 5 gig of downloads.

3 operate a "feel at home" package which means you pay the same in France Spain Italy and lots of other countries as you would in the UK ??

I am presently in Italy using this system and I will not pay a penny more than my £8 per month unless I go over my 5 gig which is quite a lot.

I have found the 3G system often far faster than expensive wifi charges. And most of the time I only ever use about 3 Gig of my allowance.

If you consider first you are paying £96 per year ie £8 per month, for me because we spend 3 to 4 months a year away in our motorhome it works for us.

Hope this helps ??

Archived