New leisure battery, minimal instructions

Paul in Brum

Hi folks

My new leisure battery arrived. The one I inherited in my van was a mess, I discovered after 15 mins off hook up when everything went dead. Ho hum.

Came from Tanya with a big 'open outside immediately' and 'remove transit plugs immediately' stickers on it. Done.

Then realised the van is in storage up the road. And there's minimal guidance included with the batt.

Being a dunce in all things battery (and most things MH):

- do I put the plugs back in til I fit it?

- do I get up to storage asap and fit it ( w or without plugs in)?

Presume I'm ok to keep it in kitchen/ inside til I do.

It's been on the back of delivery lorry since Thursday due to delivery f ups but that's another story (and nothing to do with Tanya).

Words of wisdom re best course of action appreciated.

Paul

Take it into the garage and put it on charge, preferably using a milti stage charger, until the charger shows it as fully charged and on maintenance charge. There is plenty of info on Google on batteries and charging and chargers. Leave the plugs out ready for use, after all it won't have them once in use!

The battery will be fine with the plugs out, but I assume you are worried about transporting it to the Motorhome without them?

So long as the battery is kept upright it should travel/store fine.

Following Trackers advice is good, if you are able, as few new batteries are delivered fully charged. Getting a full 24 hour charge into the battery is a grand way to start it's life.

Once charged, if you are worried about the battery tipping over during transport, you can always reinsert the plugs for the journey.

But don't charge the battery with the plugs in place, or use the battery like that.

Suggest you put labels on to remind removal of the plugs before installation, just as Tanya did?

Thanks. New I could rely on peeps here.

Being a novice means I don't have a charger but I took it to the van (flat, plugs out) and plugged it in. There's a solar panel which is now happily topping it up. Best I could do.

Reading 80% charged out of the box according to solar control panel. Not using van for a couple of weeks so hopefully then and a drive will charge it.

Thanks for help.

Paul

Presumably the “plugs” are to temporarily seal apertures in the battery designed to accept a vent-tube. If that’s correct (and assuming there are just two plugs) when the battery is installed in the motorhome one aperture should have a vent-tube connected to it and the other aperture should have one of the plugs sealing it.

Archived