Still confused re fresh water hose.

Spile54

Colin Leake - 2016-06-06 8:46 PM
Spile54 - 2016-06-06 8:30 PM
StuartO - 2016-06-06 7:39 PMI've tried a variety of hoses and until recently I carried a reel of ordinary garden hosewhich probably had 25 metres on it - but I came across a proper (three core side-by-side, flat profile) 10 meter length of blue (food quality) hose on a flat plastic reel and switched to that, saving a little weight and space.  I've only had to use a few metres of it, since you can usually manoeuvre pretty close to the tap on sites.

I didn't get any contamination problems from using garden hose so please yourself, according to what you can pack it easily.

Thanks StuartO.So if I had a flat hose, say 10 metres, and the tap on site is only 3 metres from the van do you have to unrol the full 10 meter length of hose before using it?
Yes it's generally more trouble than it's worth. While your doing it someone else will Nick the best pitch and bear in mind using a hose means moving the motor home each time. Most of us start off when we first start using a motorhome filling the tank with a hose then end up just topping it up with a watering can every few days. I've got two lay flat blue hoses in the loft supplied with various motorhomes.
When we arrive onsite, we drive around, find the pitch we want, place a PItch Taken sign on it, plus perhaps a chair, then drive to the motorhome service point to fill up with water, while the missus goes to the warden to tell him which pitch we have chosen. Never lost lost a pitch yet . What sites have you been to where pitch snatchers are about ? We carry a 10 metre length of food grade hose, has always been long enough to reach the fresh water taps....so far. Oh yes and a watering can.

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions.

I'm very tempted by Veronica's suggestion; looks just the job. Will get one ordered and see how we get on.

Oh; will also invest in a watering can.

Thanks again,

Mike

Will86 - 2016-06-07 8:18 AM

Regarding hose quality. Where was it made ? Hungary - India - China, who knows or who cares, it may say food grade but if its 'so important' why are all the connectors not labelled similarly !

What happens to the water once its in the holding tank, is that also food grade, what about all the M/H fittings that the water passes through, are they also food grade?

To produce a medically suitable 'clean material' the parts would have to be produced in a 'clean room' environment, and the costs would be prohibitive.

When a liquid passes through a tube it does not scour the tube wall as it passes for the resistance of the tube wall prohibits this. The liquid flow is greater in the centre of the tube.

A suitably worded label is a means of persuading a buyer to choose that product in preference to another. Plus a cost.

And we've not even touched on the storing of the hose, Is it steam cleaned after every use ... ?

Yes I do go on about it ... but one of my lives was in the plastics industry ... right up front where the moulding takes place, including medical requirements..

Will86 with your experience can you explain why the blue Food Grade is mandatory by regulation in food producing establishments ? Not meant as argumentive, just trying to understand the situation.

John, .

Thanks for the comment

Its highly possible that the colour blue has properties that discourage certain microbes to grow. I must ask my grandson.

I'm very anti when it comes to many aspects of cleanliness. Once again the bottom line is that it sells a product with the actual gain minuscule.

Our stomach's contain large amounts of bugs, all doing their task of keeping the 'body' alive. If we change to being too clean the bugs will have less to do and affect the body in adverse ways.

A great subject and highly scientific, yet very, very simple. (Common sense) Call me again in 20 years !

Will

John

Plus of course that the 'Food Grade' term may well have no connection with water hose at all, it just sounds good, in fact what is likely to be a suitable protective colour additive for some foods may in fact be detrimental for items such as hose that has water running through it.

Which prompts me to say that anyone who believes all that guff are just a bunch of gullible fools and are paying for products that could be harmful to particular parts of their anatomy.

Will

John

Plus of course the 'Food Grade' term may well have no connection with water hose at all, it just sounds good, in fact what is likely to be a suitable protective colour additive for some foods may in fact be detrimental for items such as hose that has water running through it.

Which prompts me to say that anyone who believes all that guff are just a bunch of gullible fools and are paying for products that could be harmful to certain parts of their anatomy.

Will

I've toured for years in many countries and this is all i've ever used;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FILL-UP-3M-FILLER-TUBE-WATER-TAP-CONNECTOR-CARAVAN-CAMPING-/370597520738?hash=item5649556562:g:GXoAAOSwDk5UJZN-

3 metres is more than ample and i've never been anywhere i can't get my van within a distance of a tap. It's important to get one like that though with a rubber connector as they fit ALL taps.

Guest pelmetman

Layflat hose on a reel for me, plus a short length (10') of lay flat hose for when we're on a fully serviced pitch or can get near a tap, we also carry a 5 litre water container with a spout which reverses and fits inside the can B-) ...........

Why on earth do people want to store a garden hose or a watering can? 8-) ........

pelmetman - 2016-06-08 8:18 PM

Why on earth do people want to store a garden hose or a watering can? 8-) ........

Depends on your style of touring.

We don't use sites very often and never ones with a tap on each pitch so a short hose is useless for us.

Our van has the stupid plug in hose to fill instead of the usual filler hole with cap so likewise a watering can is pointless too.

But we do carry a set of folding buckets and a 12 volt pump so I can fill from a bucket if I have to - never needed it yet though - but it is a lot easier to store than a watering can in a compact(ish) van!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2016-06-08 8:25 PM

Our van has the stupid plug in hose to fill instead of the usual filler hole with cap so likewise a watering can is pointless too.

Progress eh? :D ......

We're in the 15m, flat reel, non-food grade band too. Touch wood, never been ill yet (lol)

And I'd also like to echo the 'get a lunchbox full of connectors' post. We only use CL/CS type sites, you'd be amazed some many different fittings I've seen along the way B-)

colin - 2016-06-08 11:00 PM

I'll repeat this, just get a food grade hose with a plastic 'funnel' they are not expensive and will fit any type of tap you will come across.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/w4-fill-up-5m-p155103

For some reason this link says 5m and 1m :-S but ours is 5m and was cheaper when purchased at a show.

Same thing easily found on ebay for a fiver. I use one and never needed to drag huge lengths of hose around or fuss about connectors either. The rubber fits any tap.

I bought this type of push-on water fill-up hose

http://tinyurl.com/hjco6ot

in 1998 when I was a virgin motorcaravanner. Unsurprisingly (with hindsight) It blew off the water tap when I first came to use it.

I want to be able to connect to any water tap (so I’ve got a bag of adapters), fill up quickly whatever the water pressure (so I need a reliable ‘mechanical’ connection between tap and hose) and I want a longish hose that doesn’t take up much storage space (so I’ve got an ancient Black & Decker 10-metre cassetted hose). I need to unroll the hose fully before refilling my motorhome’s 120-litre water tank, but I don’t consider that a great chore.

Archived