Example of poor batteries destroying Alternator and mains charger

aandncaravan

We were contacted last week by Mr Malik, who had suffered a failure on the Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 100 charger unit in his recently purchased Motorhome and wanted it repaired. We said we could fix it but pointed out the failure was most likely caused by the battery bank too big and tired. If so it would fail again. During todays email exchange, he wrote :

"Thanks Allan

I have arranged to have a new Alternator and replace the 2 x 3-4 year old 110Ah leisure batteries with one 85amp battery. Could you repair the EBL for me?".

Up until this point we were unaware of the Alternator failure.

After further emails being exchanged he has confirmed that the batteries were expired.

I know when we have posted before that poor batteries, Charger failure and Alternator failure all go hand in hand, there have been responses from Forum members saying it just doesn't happen.

Well I think Mr Malik might tell you it does?

This is the third Alternator failure this month, and it's only the 6th!!

On each occasion the batteries have gone past their best, taken out the mains charger and while the owner deliberated what to do, the Alternator has also taken a hit.

Mr Malik's total bill is likely to be close on £1,000, of that only £130 will be ours, all for the sake of fitting a £79 battery??

Can we suggest that it will save you money in the longer term, plus stress, if you bin the batteries before they expire. I know it isn't scientific, but the best guidance we can come up with is replace the batteries no later than twice their warranty period.

This is especially important if you are planning a trip abroad where language issues, plus a tourist 'rip-off' factor, can result in much stress and even larger bills. £79 for a new battery is really cheap insurance and ensures you have the absolute maximum time 'off grid' as a new quality battery will give a real 100Ah, not a tired batteries 60Ah.

We don't sell batteries, so this isn't some scam to make money.

Anyone who has lost 12v in a modern MH will tell you it isn't just about losing the TV.

No lights, no Fridge (you can't use a modern fridge on Gas unless you have 12v), no Water Pump, no Gas Ignition so you can't make a Cup of Tea unless you carry back-up Matches, no Toilet flush, etc.

Archived