Bike Racks - Which Type?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I'm considering a bike rack for my new Lunar Telstar. I'm not keen on drilling homes in the back of my new motorhome and wonder about the pros and cons of fitting a towbar purely for the sale of attaching a bike rack to it.

I'm not worried about the cost as I know that a towbar and a bike rack will cost more than just a rack.

I will want to carry one or two bikes at the most. Am I worrying unnecessarily about drilling holes through the rear of motorhome?

My Dear Frank , I know its been said by that silly man before ....I dont know but someone will be along shortly with a vast amount of knowledge. If it helps we were worried also but we went ahead and fitted or I should say Brownhills did a 4 bike rack Fiamma. I am not sure if we will suffer later with damp ingress. We will have to wait and see . It's worth its weight in gold as when we do not have the bikes on it we have the wheelchair on it . It tends to take up to much space inside and if we brake it would fly off the bed and become really a hazard. I know this wont help much . But I hope it helps more than TC ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
"Am I worrying unnecessarily about drilling holes through the rear of motorhome?" No you are not a tow bar with frame can weigh approx 40kg depending on chassis requirements etc... I would advise a factory fit, but to late for that. so get advice from factory on where and how to fix......

Hi Frank, I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Loads of Motorhomes have bike racks fitted or the brackets already fitted. You do have to make sure you fit the brackets through the reinforcing battens in the rear wall, and follow the fitting instructions to the letter. But it is not hard once you find where the wood battens are. Plan ahead and think about where the reinforcing plates will be located on the inside and can you get access to them. Check and double check before drilling anything, and the when you are 100% certain start with small pilot holes and check where they appear on inside - you must drill straight, and then us mastic when attaching. Don't worry about the mounts ever leaking water in, with mastic they won't and there are a lot more vulnerable places for water to get in. A tow bar sounds good, but unless you really need it, there is the penalty of extra wieght. The tow bar mounted bike racj does have the advantage of being lower down so easier to get bikes on , but then you also can cause a lot more damage if you misjudge reversing than a bike rack mounted higher up. Then there is probably the need for a board with additional lights and number plate when carrying bikes. A bike rack fitted to rear higher up wil not need the extra light board. I know how you feel about drilling holes though, I was just the same when I fitted my awing, and ecen worse when cutting a large hole for the exterior light. Jon.

Further as suggested above, Lunar shoudl be able to tell you exactly where the brackets should be fitted. Failing that if you are getting a Motorhome centre to fit it they should know. However do make sure the fitter knows what he is doing and does not just put through an un re-inforced part of the wall. Thats asking for trouble.

Hi Frank- I did exactly what you are thinking, and had a tow bar fitted mainly to protect the rear from any minor shunts and to give protection to the expensive rear lights. I can now also mount my bike rack which holds two, complete with its built on registration plate and lights. I also have the option to tow a trailer or A frame, but that idea is only going to happen if the law decides its legal. My tow bar really came into its own a while back when the van refused to start on my sloping drive, and at to be pull off by the breakdown truck with a winch, if it had been attached to the rear axle it would have damaged the plastic rear skirting, I reccomend you go for it. Regards chas

Chas I am about to do the same by fitting a towbar on my Hobby 750 which with the tandem axles does not have a weight problem. I would be interested to know where you got the bike rack from as some I have seen on cars look fairly flimsy. I assume you need a lighting board ? I am thinking of two electric bikes as the knees are'nt what they were !! Ian

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Thanks for all the help. I hadn't really considered the extra weight of a towbar, which is why I ask the experts first! I'm no longer as bothered about screwing into the rear of my motorhome and just so you know, I won't be doing it myself. I have the handyman skills of an arthritic chimpanzee so will be having it installed by, I hope, a skilled fitter.

Can anyone recommend such a person or firm in the Manchester/south Lancashire area?

Frank - we went along with your thoughts about not making holes in the van. I always wondered if you could strap bikes onto the ladder. Eventually I found a ladder rack - http://www.nextag.com/topline-bike-rack/search-html. We have an Italian van and were confident about the fixing of the ladder. We have used the rack for many years with no problem. It was imported from the states. I have only seen one before in the UK and it was on a British van.

We had to swerve on an Autoroute to miss a couple of bikes and a rack that "fell" off the back of a MH in France a few of years back. Personally I would always go for a properly engineered fitting. Towbar mount being one way. I don,t like drilling holes in the GRP but more importantly guessing just where in the sandwich construction the wooden strengthening is as this is where any fixings need to go if one is intent of hanging the bikes off the GRP. Weight is always an issue though and should be considered.

Hi Ian- The bike rack I have locks onto the tow ball and there are plenty to choose from via www.roofracks.co.uk . My only concern is they would not be strong enough to carry electric bikes, as I believe the max weight for my rack is 35kg, which covers 2 pedalbikes. Regards chas

Frank, I had a similar problem when needing to fit a bike rack, which was further complicated by our van having a rear door. I had a towbar fitted by TOWTAL LTD of Fenton, Stoke 0n Trent. This was made and fitted while we waited approx 5hours total, and I use a rack which locks onto the towball, therefore placing all the weight of the bikes on the towbar/chassis. It is simple to remove the rack and bikes to use the rear door of the van. Other advantages are that the bar operates as a bumper to protect the rear of the coachbuilt body, and I can tow a small trailer when needed for various purposes such as rubbish disposal, furniture transport etc. KEN

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I thought that I'd made up my mind! There are two schools of thought here and each has merit.

Screw-on bike racks are lighter and cheaper but one has to screw holes through the rear of one's MH. I can't believe that eventually this will not increase the risk of water ingress. I also wonder about what would happen if some hooligan chose to stand on the bike rack either for fun or to clamber on to the roof, Surely there's a chance of pulling it off the body and damaging the rear panel?

Option two is a fitted towbar with one of those racks that is securely fitted by being secured between the rear of the bar and the towball, which is the kind that I'd prefer.

Drawbacks to this are cost and the extra weight of the towbar but there's no damage to the rear panel.

I've about 750kg to play with on my new MH so I've decided to wait for the bike rack until I've had my first outing. I shall load it up with a full tank of diesel, a reasonable amount of water and all of our luggage etc. My first port of call will be the local weighbridge and if I find that I've still got plenty of spare capacity I'm tempted to go for the towbar option.

Thanks everybody for your contributions, they've been a great help.

[QUOTE]Frank Wilkinson - 2006-11-26 11:52 PM

I thought that I'd made up my mind! There are two schools of thought here and each has merit.

Screw-on bike racks are lighter and cheaper but one has to screw holes through the rear of one's MH. I can't believe that eventually this will not increase the risk of water ingress. I also wonder about what would happen if some hooligan chose to stand on the bike rack either for fun or to clamber on to the roof, Surely there's a chance of pulling it off the body and damaging the rear panel?

Option two is a fitted towbar with one of those racks that is securely fitted by being secured between the rear of the bar and the towball, which is the kind that I'd prefer.

Drawbacks to this are cost and the extra weight of the towbar but there's no damage to the rear panel.

I've about 750kg to play with on my new MH so I've decided to wait for the bike rack until I've had my first outing. I shall load it up with a full tank of diesel, a reasonable amount of water and all of our luggage etc. My first port of call will be the local weighbridge and if I find that I've still got plenty of spare capacity I'm tempted to go for the towbar option.

Thanks everybody for your contributions, they've been a great help.

[/QUOTE]

Frank

Don't forget to get the individual axle loads checked while at the weighbridge, and remember that the towbar + rack + cycles when mounted will impose a rear axle load that exceeds the total of their individual weights.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Thanks for that. I've found a local weighbridge that does full and individual axle weights. I'm know exactly what you mean about the individual weights being exceeded and I shall make sure that I've a healthy margin for the leverage effect.

Hi again, Just had a look at pictures of New Lunar Telstar and the spec. Oh I say, very nice Motorhome and can now see exactly where you are coming from not wanting to drill holes in the rear panel. I mean come on, that beautiful expance of custom made GRP totally unmarked. Would be a kind of shame to drill holes and have brackets on it. Looking at weights I don't think you should have too much of a problem with tow bar weight but does add to the rear end loading and lightening load on front driven wheels. Looks like ot might all ready be a bit heavy at rear with cooker at back but all depends wher water tanks and gas bottles are. When you get weighed you wioll have a better idea, but is important to keep as much load on front wheels as possible I would think. Hope it all works out for a towbar for you ( I get the impession you want it work out in that direction). I wil add that I while I would be happy to mount on most coachbuilts with fibreglass sheets used for external cladding, I am not so sure about GRP custom mouldings and a phone call to Lunar or your dealer to ask if they have fitted cycle mounting blocks might knock a rack on the head anyway. I was driving behind a Motorhome not so long ago and the custom panel was flexing about, I could see it in my reflection as it was so new and shiny. It was not half distorting and if cycle mounts where the only points clamping it tight to the structure I would be a bit concerned of long term stresses at these points. Donlt get me wrong it was probably not moving a lot, but enough to cause the magic mirrors effect. Oh but to drill holes in that lovely shiny panel would be a sacrifice!!!! Anyway I better stop blethering and get on with some work! Looking forward to hear what you decide. Jon

Archived