Dogs on ferries?

RogerThat

Hi everyone.

Further to my recent post about Isle of Wight ferries, and thanks again for all the replies!, does anyone have any experience of dogs on ferries to IoW?

I understand WightLink allow you to bring your dog on deck, do any other ferry providers offer this?

I'd also love to go to Ireland but they insist on you putting your dog in a cage on the cargo deck (the thought of which just horrifies me!).

So while I still investigate possible routes to IoW, the whole dog situation would be a deal breaker for me :)

Re Ferries to Ireland. We are just back and used route Stena Fishguard/Rosslae. Our dog stayed in our motorhome. The trip is only 3 1/2 hours and I reckon she slept the whole time. She is a Labrador and Labradors sleep!

The only experience I have of using Kennels on a ferry was when we used Portsmouth/Santander. The kennel It was plenty big enough, we put her own bed in, we could visit however often we wanted and walk er on the deck. She was quite happy and comfortable.

Hope that helps

Peter

We have travelled extensively with our dog on ferries. Mostly the Spanish route, where we have a dog friendly cabin as Harvey is MAJORLY distressed in their kennels. On the 4 hour route from Newhaven Dieppe, he was fine in the van, and same for the 1 1/2 hour trip Dover Calais. On the shorter trips the dogs cannot leave the van, but you are able to visit them, if need be. Personally, I think they are best left alone on the short crossings.

<<< Personally, I think they are best left alone on the short crossings. >>>

Hi,

I agree.

On the voyage to St.Malo (circa 8 hours), we went down to the car deck to give our GSD a comfort break, which meant a walk between the vehicles.

The look on his face said ... "What do you want - I was enjoying a kip"

In 2013 we travelled to Shetland using NorthLink Ferries. Whilst there were kennels on board, we chose to leave our dog in the motorhome - for 12+ hours on the way back - Lerwick to Aberdeen! He was absolutely fine - no "accidents" although we put paper down etc. Our friends with their three dogs had the same experience. He was obviously pleased to see us but didn't even seem that "desperate" for a wee as we stopped on the outskirts of Aberdeen!

PilgrimPhil

We did the IOW last year it's quite comforting to have the dogs with you but it isn't a very long journey. We have also taken the dogs to jersey twice on the fast ferry that takes four hours, the dogs were fine. However we have changed Motorhomes since going 2 years ago and have to go on the slow ferry due to the length. We're going back in a few weeks so will let you know as I believe the journey is about 9hrs. I do understand that we can request to go and see them. We lift all rugs etc and buy those doggie trainer sheets as they're padded and have gel in them for any accidents.

RogerThat - 2016-06-07 9:49 PM

I'd also love to go to Ireland but they insist on you putting your dog in a cage on the cargo deck (the thought of which just horrifies me!).

So while I still investigate possible routes to IoW, the whole dog situation would be a deal breaker for me :)

I work on the ferries between UK and Ireland.

The dog owner can choose to either leave the dog(s) in their vehicle or to place them in the provided kennels.

To be honest, most of the kennelled dogs are those belonging to foot passengers and there's no choice for them. The vast majority of dogs are left in the cars/campers etc.

Whenever Ive been across with my camper, the dogs have been fine left there for the 3.5 hr crossing. In fact they love it! :-D

If concerned, any passenger can request to visit the car deck to check that all is OK.

Cant comment on the IOW ferries tho. Some of the Cal-Mac ferries over to the Scottish islands allow the dogs in the accommodation area and outside passenger decks.

One thing Ive noticed is that not many dogs like the ships steep stairways or the open stairs on deck 8-) 8-)

V.

Archived