Which Hymer engine

I've just sold a Fiat based coach built 7.2M M/H with a 2.8 turbo engine and now want a 'A' Class Hymer of a similar size. I usually cruise at 70+ on the motorway but not sure which engine will be better suited for me the 1999 Merc 2.9 Turbo or the 2003 Merc 2.7 Turbo. Can anybody advise, Cheers

The 5 cylinder 2.9 turbo, 2,874cc, was, in my opinion, one of the best Merc Van engines ever. It's reliability, when correctly serviced, is legendary. Typically covering half a million miles without major work.

It is a bit gruff, in both feel and tone, but I think it's the last of the 'proper' Diesels where long life was given greater priority than smoothness or emissions.

A real 'Truck' engine as opposed to a 'big Car' engine.

The 2.7, 2,685cc, that replaced it was a more advanced engine (more power, better economy) but has not gained the same reputation for reliability.

Although some will tell you it is better than subsequent Merc engines that followed.

The 2.7 was the first Merc engine that, I think, tried too hard to be less like the truck engines which had provided the Genes previously.

With this engine onwards the genes from a car engine were introduced in too strong a combination, losing the million mile durability.

However, not sure the 2.9 Turbo will be able to compete if you want 70mph cruise speeds and the van is big and heavy?

Archived