Relative Costs of UK and EU Sites

Dave225

There has always been discussion regarding the relative costs of sites in the UK and those in Europe and both sides have their supporters.

Being in the pro Europe camp I do sometimes wonder how organisations such as the CC etc justify their fees, are costs in the UK really that much higher?

For example we are sitting at the moment on a beachside site on the Costa Ahazar. We are paying ACSI of 19 euros per night and for that are getting a 100 sq meter hedged pitch, 10 amp electric , access to 2 swimming pools, Jacuzzi, restaurant on site and even a fully stocked supermarket within the camp boundaries. Great if you are motorhoming and do not fancy carrying heavy items on a bike. The toilet blocks are spotless and cleaned 3 times per day with more showers than I can count. Reception is open from 8 am to 9 pm and the young girls cannot do enough for you............oh lucky me!!! Ola senorita.

A CC site in the Uk at this time will charge me close to £20 and give me, a bit of hardstanding, no obvious boundaries to my pitch, 16 amp electric and access to a toilet block with up to 6 showers if I am lucky and closed for at least 1 hour per day for cleaning. If there is a lot of grass then I will get the cheerful sound of grass cutting during most afternoons, when it is not raining. I may also get the pleasure of some (not all ) wardens who really should be looking at alternative employment as they obviously do not want to be there. Of course as a member I also get a magazine I do not really want, but on the plus side have access to some beneficial insurance rates. However I assume the Club gets recompense from the insurance companies for this business, so is not reflected in the site fees.

OK, I am being tad cynical but there has to be reasons why the large difference in costs and amenities, and yes, it does make me spend the cross channel costs and get down to Spain. The sun is also a very deciding factor.

It just seems a little curious how one EU country handles all the red tape and costs compared to another, especially as the CC assures us it is a Club and all monies are invested in the members. Should one assume that should reflect in an advantageous amenity to cost basis? I am not being anti CC just trying to work out where all the money goes when I see what others achieve.

Yes, have to agree with you. My first visit to a UK site near Newcastle, I was charged £15 and also as we borrowed a car while we were there, an extra £2 to park it on the small site. Just one shower for everyone, on pool, no shop, and although ACSI, no discount. As you say, Spain especially, and also France and so much better, facilities, availability and cost! No wonder I do all my travelling on the continent!

Well not sure what CC sites you have been to. I have never been to one without clearly defined spacious pitches. the toilets and showers have always been plentiful and spotless, plus always up to the same standards.. Agree prices in euro land cheaper especially if using the ACSII discount book but try a French coastal site in august where prices soar above anything the CC charges, you are making unfair comparisons. The other obvious point all camp sites are run to make a profit which the CC does and as they are constantly full fail to see what they are dong wrong, just good business practice.

I tend to agree with the comments by the OP. Living in the south of England, we tend to spend most of our time in Euro land.

However, the CC do reinvest in providing new sites. The cost of developing a new site can be horrendous. The planning process alone includes environmental impact assessment, traffic impact, effect on habitat etc. The development of the site needs the assistance of structural and civil engineers, landscape architects and then finally appointing a contractor to carry out the work.

I support the CC in their endeavours through my annual subscription but rarely use their sites because I can't be bothered to book months in advance. I never book sites in Euro land.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2016-06-12 1:28 PM

There has always been discussion regarding the relative costs of sites in the UK and those in Europe and both sides have their supporters.

Naughty Dave......You know these threads always get the CC Colonel Blimps frothing at the mouth :D ........

pelmetman - 2016-06-12 6:57 PM

Naughty Dave......You know these threads always get the CC Colonel Blimps frothing at the mouth :D ........

So says the bloke who, despite slagging it/them off , has re-joined AGAIN .. *-)

(..Oh! I forgot, it was for the DDs this time wasn't it....yeah, of cause it was...just like last time he joined was because of his friends or his brother...? yeah yeah).

Some folk seem to make more of a meal of this topic than it needs to be.

To my knowledge membership of either(any!) "club" is not compulsory.

If it's not for you, then don't join.

Don't preach and whinge about something and then do the very same thing. *-)

Wine is much cheaper in France than in UK but I read somewhere that chemical toilet fluid is very expensive in France so I always take some with me.  We’re talking identical products, so a comparison on price is valid.

But you’ve got to make sure you are comparing apples with apples when you compare the cost of UK campsites with the cheaper ones in France; there are lots of sites in France which are at least as expensive as CC sites in UK as well as lots which are cheaper. 

Is it sensible to compare a manicured CC Site which has a heated, tiled toilet block (with toilet seats and even toilet paper!) and full-service hard-standing pitches with a two star French site, which assuming it does provide electricity, will be 6 amps at most and from a pillar about 100 yards away?  The ground might also be slopping and uneven as well as either grassy or just bare soil and perhaps even very soft soil because a lot of waste water has been allowed to drain on to it.  I’ll leave the French toilet facilities to your imagination and merely point out that some are not terrible - but you do need to take your trousers off altogether to use the “hole in the ground” type and you should certainly remember to take along your own toilet paper.

So when you compare prices, make sure you are comparing like with like.  I like French two star sites;they are always survivable and frequently a lot better than that – but ordinary French sites are not remotely comparable to CC or even C&CC Club Sites.

It's never been any different.

UK has always been more expensive than European sites but some people can't bear the thought of going without fish 'n chips, warm beer, the daily rag mag, grey skies and rainy weather for any longer than a week. They'd become manic depressive so pay serious money to satisfy their masochism.

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2016-06-12 7:12 PM

So says the bloke who, despite slagging it/them off , has re-joined AGAIN .. *-)

(..Oh! I forgot, it was for the DDs this time wasn't it....yeah, of cause it was...just like last time he joined was because of his friends or his brother...? yeah yeah).

Some folk seem to make more of a meal of this topic than it needs to be.

To my knowledge membership of either(any!) "club" is not compulsory.

If it's not for you, then don't join.

Don't preach and whinge about something and then do the very same thing. *-)

So Colonel Pepe......was the first to rise to the bait :D..............

No surprise there.....(lol) (lol) (lol) .....

Having just returned from 5 weeks in France, we've had this discussion a few times. On average €17 bought us a nice site in a good location, a spacious hedged pitch, and a raft of facilities such as swimming pools, restaurants and excellent toilet blocks, regularly cleaned. Remembering my own toilet paper was a small price to pay. Staff were friendly, welcomed us at 11am, and asked us to pay when we were ready to move on. They were tolerant of my virtual lack of French language and even ordered my bread for the morning.

The saving on the pitch fees, including a few cheaper Aires, paid for the tunnel and most of the extra fuel for 35 nights away.

Why we pay so much more for a lot less is a mystery. Grumpy staff with power issues, draconian arrival times, and don't even think of not pitching exactly as told to. We live up north, so trips to Europe are not regular, but if we lived within 2 hours of Dover it'd be our first choice.

Enjoying the discussion.

D

Guest pelmetman

There are some reasonably priced sites in the UK if you can find the ones that'll accept ACIS.......

Or like the ex CL we stayed on recently for over a month, with a fully serviced pitch for 100 quid a week :D .......

Still dearer than we pay in Spain though, and no pool or bar/restaurant :-| .......

Suppliers tend to charge what the market will stand so I suppose the relatively high prices for basic sites in UK reflects the keen demand for using them.  We stayed on a CL which was £13 per night which was not being well looked after and provided only an EHU, a toilet in a shed, a rotting lift-up cover to pour your toilet cassette down and an overgrown bit of hard standing. We paid under 10€  for a riverside pitch with 10 amp EHU on a two star municipal site in France with good showers and clean toilets.

I read an information sheet about setting up a campsite in UK and these days it's quite a performance.  Even if you use CC or another club to get a 5 van licence instead of planning permission, you still have to get local authority approval from the building regs and H&S viewpoints.  EHUs have to be up to modern scratch for example.

And your property becomes liable for extra council charges (eg for rates and rubbish removal) if you run a campsite and all your income has to be declared for income tax.  If you were only charging the equivalent of less than 10€ per night per camping unit, out of which you have to cover all the expenses, it's difficult to see how it could be worthwhile doing it at all.

We looked at a  residential property which happened to have a CL in the garden when we were relocating last year.  That one had a nice outlook and was clearly popular and well established, so it looked like it made some profit.  But it was tying for the owner to have to do the mowing etc and be around every day to collect the money etc.  They were obviously itching to be rid so they could get away and enjoy their own retirement.

We don't have enough campsites in UK to provide competition on price and maybe we over-regulate and over-tax them too.

We don't like sites much, prefer Aires or wilding in France, until recently our trips were limited to 3 weeks. I think the most in total we have spent on camping on a 3 week trip is about €55 and the least €22.

Apart from a few festivals and the odd night gave up with the UK years ago too expensive not Motorhome friendly, it helps living 20 miles from a channel port.

pelmetman - 2016-06-13 9:17 AM

There are some reasonably priced sites in the UK if you can find the ones that'll accept ACIS.......

Or like the ex CL we stayed on recently for over a month, with a fully serviced pitch for 100 quid a week :D .......

Still dearer than we pay in Spain though, and no pool or bar/restaurant :-| .......

That combination of bar and pool can be dangerous, you could end up falling over.

Guest pelmetman
starvin marvin - 2016-06-13 10:21 AM

pelmetman - 2016-06-13 9:17 AM

That combination of bar and pool can be dangerous, you could end up falling over.

It was the sun that did it :$ ......... :D ......

So Colonel Pepe......was the first to rise to the bait :D..............

No surprise there.....(lol) (lol) (lol) .....

Ooh? "..bait.." really?..Oh yes, I believe you.

(...and there was me thinking it was just one of your familiar hypocritical stirs/slurs... ;-))

Either way, it still doesn't make my respond any the less correct.

(..and as I can't recall the last time we used a main CC site (3 years+?), chances are you would've used 'em a hellva lot more than us. ;-) )

Anyhoo...

"Things" will obviously cost different amounts, in different countries and regions (even neighbouring boroughs sometimes)..and for various different reasons: Overheads,the levels of demand, the relative cost of living in the region etc etc

You can probably rent a villa abroad, as cheap, possibly cheaper, than some B&Bs or hotels would cost over here. Now that can't be blamed on campsite owners and/or "clubs". (..Although I'm sure on here would try..).

Likewise, we seem inundated with these "Move to the sun" type TV programmes, where, predominately Baby-boomers, sell up their run of the mill house on some housing estate in the UK, and buy a swanky villa, complete with pool...and still have money left over. :-S

As has been said(by Stuart?) we need to compare like for like....and by that, not just the end "product" but all of the varying costs and influences that may effect it.

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2016-06-13 11:14 AM

As has been said(by Stuart?) we need to compare like for like....and by that, not just the end "product" but all of the varying costs and influences that may effect it.

OK then, a super pitch in low season at Chatsworth nearly 30 quid.......a super pitch at Calepmar in low season less than half that price..........Are the overheads really twice as much? ;-) ......

Its a pity there are not more basic private Aire type sites in the UK. I rarely use sites here or abroad but if I do I just want somewhere to park really with a bit of space and hopefully nice surroundings. There are a fair few CL type Aires in Europe now or boggy basic campsites that cost less than a tenner.

The CL and CS network here is very good but they are limited to 5 vans, restricted to club members (officially) and you usually have to book.

Just a field with a tap and waste disposal is all I require. Ive used the ACSI card on occasion abroad but Im not sure they are such a good deal anymore either as they are creeping up in price. Plenty of basic sites or aires that are cheaper.

If I was to use a site in the UK chances are ill turn up with a full tank of water anyway, will use my own facilities and dont require EHU so what am I paying £20-30 for?

Not an issue abroad really. Our costs for services and parking / camping is often less than a quid a day overall.

I don't see any way of comparing either the UK or the Euro sites. Everything is different. The size of the country and the continent and easy access to many, the population, the weather, the scenery and a multitude of other factors. We all do what suits us as users of the M/H.

I hear little about comparing 'total costs'. Fuel, wear and tear, stress, re-adjustment on return, all travel, computer time, and so on.

The advanced excitement deals with all that of course but there is a cost. Perhaps its the simple cost of growing up and experience which cannot be bought in any other way.

I had a 'red map image' from school days which was soon changed upon finding a large majority were far brighter than UK citizens ... and it was quite normal to speak 3 languages, many could discuss 5 at once.in a group.

There is no comparison, to quote Tracker ... its different ... so forget all about comparing sites and get on with the experience.

Will

Muswell - 2016-06-13 11:34 AM

Groundhog Day

Indeed!

..and as it's another thread that was started by someone who is supposedly holidaying on some wonderful Spanish site (yet still feels the need to be posting on an online forum), it's very familiar indeed! :D

Archived