Peak District Suggestions Please

AndyLou

Hi

We are hoping to go to the Peak District at the end of June for 5 days and I am looking for some help.

This will be the first long trip we have done with the Motorhome, we have only done weekends up to now.

I am wondering where to stay as I don't want to be driving around a lot if possible.

Is there a camp site with good access to public transport or easy cycling.

I would like to use "Stop Overs" if possible (I am about to buy the book at the midlands show on the 24th).

This will allow me to move around a bit but I am worried that turning up at attractions in the MH it will be difficult to park(its 24' long). This is why I am looking for places to stop and then travel on public transport or cycle.

We have never been to this area before so I am not expecting to do it all in the 5 days just a hint of what's available.

If anybody has any ideas please add them to this thread,

Thanks

Andy

Try Ilam Hall Camping http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/peak-district-camping-and-caravanning-ilam-park-caravan-site-ilam-ashbourne-i1126.html

I'd forget public transport though! After all you are heading for the Peak District and this is right in it. Most residents have Land Rovers. That's their 'bus'!!

Ilam is an easy bike ride away from Dovedale. Forget driving there as the car park gets rammed and it's not very big. The walk along the river is well worth going.

I used to cycle all round the Peak District every weekend as a 13 year old lad going to different Youth Hostels (Ilam Hall still is a YH), but kids have no sense of adventure today.

Have a drive (or cycle!) out to Wetton Mill whilst there. Very nice place.

Try Whitehall Farm at Heathcote near Hartington. It is a CL and now has 5 hardstandings so is open all year round.

The Tissington Trail is about 200 yards away and will give you plenty of cycling options on traffic free paths.

PilgrimPhil.

Pipkim - 2016-06-13 4:56 PM

Try Whitehall Farm at Heathcote near Hartington. It is a CL and now has 5 hardstandings so is open all year round.

The Tissington Trail is about 200 yards away and will give you plenty of cycling options on traffic free paths.

PilgrimPhil.

Would they not have to be a club member??

Might be worth joining the Caravan Club or The Camping and caravan club, (see other post re difference)

PJay - 2016-06-13 5:01 PM

Pipkim - 2016-06-13 4:56 PM

PilgrimPhil.

Would they not have to be a club member??

Might be worth joining the Caravan Club or The Camping and caravan club, (see other post re difference)

Not necessarily, I'm not in the CCC, but have used "their" CL's just by rolling up and asking. Some have a separate area, those that don't ask, you don't tell! Simples.

Archived