Water Filler Cap

Fiat Ducato

Hi

I'm sure this must have been asked before but I will ask it again anyway. Is there anyway to change the lock barrel in a water filler cap?

Recently bought a set of 4 vecam barrels keyed a like complete with the red master removal key. As recently my habitation door key snapped in half and with no spare, I was forced to change the barrel for a a new one so thought what the hell might as well buy 4 barrels and change them all so they are all on one key - Habitation Door, Gas Locker, Cassette Toilet Door and Water Filler Cap.

Already done the Habitation door and toilet door, they were easy. Having trouble changing the water filler cap barrel, tried inserting the red barrel removal key but it won't go in the lock. And looking at the cap from the other side, it is completely sealed in a white plastic moulding.

Is it a case of drilling it out like a did with the main door lock and then fitting a new one?

Sure there must be knowledgeable people on here who have come across the same problem and solved it (or know how to get round it)

Many Thanks

Paul

Just wondering if the reason I can't insert the lock removal tool is because there is a key snapped off inside the barrel, as the dust cover for the barrel that is usually in the closed position with no key inserted then opens as the key enters the barrel. Is open.

Billggski - 2016-06-13 10:18 PM

My fresh water cap is different from all the other locks. I think it is just that- a different key!

Hi yes I think you might well be right, looking at the design of it.

Oh well, doesn't have a key anyhow, just seems to push in and turn. Obviously not locked, but don't think it's necessary to have the fresh water cap locked.

Paul

Fiat Ducato - 2016-06-14 5:43 AM

Billggski - 2016-06-13 10:18 PM

My fresh water cap is different from all the other locks. I think it is just that- a different key!

Hi yes I think you might well be right, looking at the design of it.

Oh well, doesn't have a key anyhow, just seems to push in and turn. Obviously not locked, but don't think it's necessary to have the fresh water cap locked.

Paul

It is a while sincè I dìd it but I seem to remember that ì just put a small rod or allen key in the hole in centre of the cap at the back and tapped it and the lock popped out. It is worth a try. I never leave my water cap unlocked, there are to many pranksters aboùt.

Just a quick UPDATE

I have managed to drill out the old barrel completely and then using the red master key tried to insert a new Zadi Barrel in to the cap, but couldn't get the barrel in properly and when I eventually did, the key worked but the cap wasn't locking, just turning and turning, eventually the barrel started coming out again.

Give up, think maybe the inside of the water cap is broken, doesn't look like it is on inspection. The barrel came out in one after drilling easily so the drilling didn't damage it.

Hi Paul

Don't know how old your van is. We have over the years had a couple of water caps, 1 broke, one "lost", so we bought new The cap has been updated since our our original (2006). Does it matter if you have a different key? I certainly think you should lock the water, stops any one trying to put things in it!!

Think we got ours on line, but any caravan accessory shop should stock them

PJay

Archived