Total beginner off to Europe for a year

Karl

pelmetman - 2016-06-16 3:32 PM

pelmetman - 2016-06-16 2:33 PM

mildi - 2016-06-16 2:24 PM

We also got some memory sticks to go on our key rings and scanned all our documents, travel insurance, van insurance, ours and our dogs passports, driving license etc. just in case we came back from a day out to find the van had gone. We would still have a copy of everything.

Dam that's clever. B-) ........

Forgot to ask........I assume you can protect the key ring thingy with a password? :-S .....

You would password protect all your essential document files.

We also got some memory sticks to go on our key rings and scanned all our documents, travel insurance, van insurance, ours and our dogs passports, driving license etc. just in case we came back from a day out to find the van had gone. We would still have a copy of everything.

Forgot to ask........I assume you can protect the key ring thingy with a password? :-S .....

You would password protect all your essential document files. Or use Cloud type storage which is even better as you can log in on any computer and no dongle required.

Given the sheer volume of golden oldies trundling around Europe, my choice to start my search would be an old LHD A Class Hymer, as big and as heavy as my license will allow.

Condition is everything as vans get older and well past their prime at say 12 to 15 years of age and, for me at least, an older van in very good order (I doubt it would be faultless at that sort of age!) would appeal to me far more than a newer but rougher and less well loved van at a similar price.

Other brands are available but first but foremost for any van is that it does need to be watertight if long term body integrity issues are to be avoided.

You can buy a cheap damp meter via Amazon that might be worth having so you can check the seams, any stains, and dark corners where years of damp and water ingress can wreak havoc on softwood framed floors and roofs.

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2016-06-16 4:22 PM

You would password protect all your essential document files.

You mean access to my lap top? :-S ............I have enough numbers to remember without passwords to the files on my computer 8-) .......

Yes you can password protect it ( I never quite worked that bit out) but it was just for piece of mind knowing we had the copy. Also came in handy for backing up photos. We never had any disasters so didn't use it.

Also scan you EHIC card!!!

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-16 4:24 PM

You would password protect all your essential document files. Or use Cloud type storage which is even better as you can log in on any computer and no dongle required.

For me that Cloud thing is meaningless.....it makes me think of my personal stuff floating around 'somewhere' in cyber space and i'm not too keen on that!

As for password protection.....err don't laugh but i keep all mine on a disc and also printed out on a sheet of paper which i keep in a document folder in my van (when away) with all my other docs. :D

Bulletguy - 2016-06-16 9:30 PM

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-16 4:24 PM

For me that Cloud thing is meaningless.....it makes me think of my personal stuff floating around 'somewhere' in cyber space and i'm not too keen on that!

As for password protection.....err don't laugh but i keep all mine on a disc and also printed out on a sheet of paper which i keep in a document folder in my van (when away) with all my other docs. :D

When you say disc, its not a 5 1/2" floppy?

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-16 9:48 PM

No the laptop i use in my van when away is a little more advanced than that! In fact come to think of it, a lot more advanced as these silly ipads and tablet thingies don't even have a built in CD/DVD drive! :D

Bulletguy - 2016-06-16 10:00 PM

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-16 9:48 PM

No the laptop i use in my van when away is a little more advanced than that! In fact come to think of it, a lot more advanced as these silly ipads and tablet thingies don't even have a built in CD/DVD drive! :D

Happily technology moves on and the need for CD/DVD will soon disappear, as did the 5 1/2" floppy.

sshortcircuit - 2016-06-16 10:08 PM

Happily technology moves on and the need for CD/DVD will soon disappear, as did the 5 1/2" floppy.

I know it does.......unfortunately not always for the better either and you can apply that to many things as well as pc's! I bought my laptop just as the mini notebooks were coming in so still pre-ipad/tablet days.

I was on a site in Germany when approached by a couple of ACSI inspectors and asked if i'd fill in a report sheet for them. His wife asked me if i was familiar with ACSI and i told her i'd recently bought the camping guidebook but was very disappointed with it due to the small number of sites listed.

She asked if i'd looked at the DVD. I hadn't so she returned to her car and brought me one back to try. No problem.....my computer has a disc drive! Installed straight away, they gave me the disc but since then i've bought later year dates. Brilliant mapping and excellent info listing 8,000 + campsites.

OK the gps i bought last year has ACSI sites already loaded, exactly how many i've no idea but i prefer looking at a good size map when searching any c/sites.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

Thank you so much for all of the advice. Was my last day at work on Friday so now can fully focus on the motor-home purchase. I've bought the MMM magazine and am reading cover to cover.

A lot to take in so I think I might have caught the main points below:

1 - Buy Fiat Ducato as this will be the easiest to service and get parts in Europe

2 - Left hand drive

3 - Consider buying outside UK as more choice and cheaper

4 - Internal space is important as might become like a prison cell the longer we are away

5 - Preferably buy from a dealer unless I can get advice from someone independent when viewing private sales

6 - Research, research, research.

7 - Get all the paperwork; insurance; guides; euro friendly credit cards; etc etc

8 - Speak to anyone with experience who is willing to speak. I live in Glasgow but wouldn't mind driving a few hours and buying someone lunch for their words of wisdom :)

Thanks again for all of your advice and good wishes.

Karl, Ionut & Ben

Guest pelmetman
Karl - 2016-06-26 5:35 PM

Guys

Thank you so much for all of the advice. Was my last day at work on Friday so now can fully focus on the motor-home purchase. I've bought the MMM magazine and am reading cover to cover.

A lot to take in so I think I might have caught the main points below:

1 - Buy Fiat Ducato as this will be the easiest to service and get parts in Europe

Not a lot in it really, although Merc parts tend to be dearer.....

2 - Left hand drive

Sensible if you intend to spend most of your time across the ditch, and are usually cheaper than a RH equivelent in the UK.....

3 - Consider buying outside UK as more choice and cheaper

Wouldn't know about that.....but insurance maybe an issue?....

4 - Internal space is important as might become like a prison cell the longer we are away

Been living in our camper since 19th Dec, cant say its been a problem, but we have had our camper 26 years....

5 - Preferably buy from a dealer unless I can get advice from someone independent when viewing private sales

Dearer and the warranty may well be worthless.....

6 - Research, research, research.

Boy have you got a lot to learn :D......

7 - Get all the paperwork; insurance; guides; euro friendly credit cards; etc etc

Nationwide flex plus might be worth a look.....

8 - Speak to anyone with experience who is willing to speak. I live in Glasgow but wouldn't mind driving a few hours and buying someone lunch for their words of wisdom :)

Learning on the job is the best way....

Thanks again for all of your advice and good wishes.

Karl, Ionut & Ben

Good luck :D .....

Hi Carl

Something you may wish to add to your list:

If your driving licence permits you to drive vehicles over 3500Kg, then look for vehicle's with a maxi chassis with 16" wheels as opposed to 15" wheels. These vehicles quite often came with ABS braking system.

Quite a few of the Hymers between 2000 and 2006 were sold with the Maxi chassis which allowed a running mass of 3900Kg and a payload of around 600 to 700Kg.

However, I suspect you are probably limited to 3500Kg so a lighter chassis would be better in order to maximise your allowable payload.

Karl

Contemplating buying a motorhome abroad and importing it to the UK is almost certainly unrealistic in your case. Buying a LHD vehicle in the UK would make sense (and an LHD motorhome should be cheaper to buy in the UK than its RHD equivalent) but identifying a suitable motorhome that’s located outside the UK, buying it, importing it to the UK and registering it here would be asking for trouble given your just-a-few-weeks time frame.

I’m also wary of the suggestion that you might buy a motorhome abroad and register/insure it in the country of sale in your name but using someone else’s address. I can’t see any way that being ‘economical with the truth’ could be avoided if that were attempted.

hi,

good luck on your brave venture

do not be rushed in your search for a van. By this I mean do not get inviolved with what looks like a good quick deal on ebay. People have reported on this forum a number of scams and the vans have not been owned by the 'sellers' and not even for sale. Do not part with money til you are doubly sure.

cheers

derek

The recent decision to withdraw from the EU will eventually change things and might add to the difficulties of buying abroad but lots of people do seem to register a vehicle abroad and survive the experience.  We met a couple of New Zealanders  on a site in Venice who ought a MH in the Chzeck Republic and registered it there.  They use it touring Europe for 6 months or so each year and then lay it up in that Country while they go back to NZ.  No problems at all apparently.

Whenever I’ve discussed buying a motorhome in France or Germany and registering/insuring it there I’ve always been told that to do this would require the motorhome’s buyer to provide the address of a property he/she owns/resides in in that country.

Karl has a self-imposed very short time-window within which to buy an inexpensive suitable motorhome and set off abroad in it for a year. This plan would be challenging for an experienced motorcaravanner let alone a novice and seeking to obtain the vehicle outside the UK is bound to complicate the issue.

It may well be possible for a UK resident to buy/register/insure a motorhome in some ‘foreign’ countries without actually having a residential address in the country where the vehicle is registered/insured, but it would be an unusual thing to do.

I’ve no idea what the Czech Republic’s regulations are, but if a country demands a genuine residential address as a requirement for vehicle registration and this is sidestepped by providing someone else’s address instead the potential risks should be obvious. Similarly if an insurance provider is provided with questionable information.

This link advises on motorhome ‘full timing’ insurance

http://motorhome-insurance.co.uk/advice-for-full-timing-in-your-motorhome-and-how-to-get-insurance/

If it were me I would spend at least two weeks, and preferably a month, using the van in the UK before venturing over the water just to get to know it, it's foibles, modifications and extras, needed and even additions to the basic kit as it is a heck of a lot easier to start off with the right set up than it is to try and correct it in a foreign language.

I would also buy a LHD van in the UK and be sure that when I go it is totally and verifiably legal to travel wherever I might want to go.

Keeping it as simple as possible whilst on a very short and steep learning curve would make sense to me?

Tracker - 2016-06-27 11:50 A

I would also buy a LHD van in the UK and be sure that when I go it is totally and verifiably legal to travel wherever I might want to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if the van is UK registered and legal in the UK then it is generally accepted as being legal in the EU.

OK, you need headlight converters, yellow vests per occupant, 2 x red triangles, first aid kit, spare driving specs etc, etc. Some countries outside the EU may have other requirements.

If the OP is going to venture into Alpine regions in winter (or any snow affected areas) then winter tyres/ snow chains will be required from October to April approximately, depending on region.

And insurance, and printed copies of proof that road tax - or VED as it is now known for the UK - has been paid and is valid.

Belt and braces cost nowt except time to set up, especially when doing so in your own language, but could prove invaluable in an unexpected difficult situation.

Google will also translate online documents into other languages should anyone feel the need.

Tracker - 2016-06-27 12:58 PM

And insurance, and printed copies of proof that road tax - or VED as it is now known for the UK - has been paid and is valid...

Another thing that (potentially) needs to be considered if a long period of continuous travelling outside the UK is envisaged is the UK MOT test.

Karl’s budget of £10k - £15k means that whatever motorhome he buys (assuming it is UK-registered) will be sufficiently old to require an MOT test.

My understanding is that if a vehicle’s MOT test certificate becomes outdated or its road tax expires while the vehicle is abroad, a UK insurance provider will consider this as invalidating the vehicle’s insurance policy. If he’s going to be abroad for a full year, how will the MOT test be carried out?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Total change of plan. Went to see motor homes and way out of our budget for anything that we could live in for a year.

Plan B - now taking the BMW away with a roof box and a tent / solar panels / 12V TV etc.

Having so many problems getting car insurance over 90 days in Europe though.

Any advice please?

Cheers guys

Archived