Suspension and brakes

Dibsy

How do I know what sort of brakes and suspension my motorhome (Pilote Atlantis A5, 2003 based on a Peugeot Boxer) has?

I'm pretty sure it is leaf suspension at the back. Will it be the same at the front?

Will the brakes be disc? ABS?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dibsy

Look through the wheels and underneath the van.

Check the handbook.

If you don't have a handbook you can probably get the info it contains by Googling it.

If you struggle to get down to ground level a mirror on a broom handle and a torch will help see to check it is all OK.

I can't remember the time when leaf springs were standard fitment on the front. Even my first car, a 1950's Ford Zodiac had independent front suspension.

I guess your MH has disc brakes and independent suspension at the front and leaf springs with either drum or discs at the back.

ABS was usually available on the heavier chassis, in the early 2000's.

You don't need to go underneath to find out. Look at the gaps on the front wheels. You should be able to tell if it's Disc Brakes by seeing Calipers & disc (usually polished looking from brake pad contact.) If you see a rusty coloured section it would indicate Drum Brakes. Repeat process for the rear.

I would guess on the 2003 models they were Disc Front & Drum Rear.

Suspension front can be checked by looking into the wheel arch (inboard above wheel) you will see the shock absorber & if standard Peugeot chassis it will be rear leaf springs unless a) it was built on an Alko or equiv chassis, or b) previous owner has modified to air ride.

The brakes are disc all round with the parking brake a small drum inside the rear discs.

You probably have ABS. Google for an image of an ABS unit and you will know what to look for under the bonnet. Its a solid looking square box with multiple 3mm diameter steel pipes connected to it. Sort of modern art inspired by a worm orgy.

Its good practice to exercise the ABS a few times a year. best done by driving along at say 15 or so mph with the wheels on one side on tarmac and the others on a slippery surface and braking very hard. As the ABS comes into operation to stop the wheels on the slippery surface locking you will feel a pulsating from the brake pedal as the ABS pump forces the brakes momentarily on and off.

Thank you again everyone. I'll have to go and have a good look!

I'm looking into getting the vehicle uprated and this information is needed for the form. It only has a small payload (which we knew when we bought it) and we are good at packing light but thought it would offer us some flexibility...

Archived