Travel insurance

Tea man

We are looking for long term travel insurance for over 65 years of age to go around Europe in our motorhome for about 3 months or more. Can anyone help? We have met other travelers who have been away for 4 or 5 months.

Thanks

Travel insurance or more specifically the health insurance side is subject to so many variables that you just have to try company after company until you find one that fits your particular needs.

Some will accept certain conditions or illnesses and others will not, some will only cover for x length of time and so on.

As we get older with a few ailments I wonder how long I will be able to get cover for, so far so good, but the premium keeps creeping up. I am with LV and find them to be OK, they cover us for up to 90 days, maybe they will do longer, or maybe not.

H

We were finding it difficult and expensive to get travel insurance before we changed our Motorhome insurance to Comfort. If you take their house insurance (which turned out to be more competitive than our mortgage supplier) you can also then take their travel insurance. The benefits for us were that they were much more competitive for predicting conditions and allowed longer periods away for both the health insurance and house being left empty.

When the quote arrived this year it had gone up a bit - most of the rise due to the increase in Insurance Premium Tax - so I thought I would use a comparison specially for travel insurance for people with pre existing conditions. I put in all the necessary details and, sure enough, it returned 14 - yes 14 quotes. The cheapest was over £950 and then went up to over £14000!!

Bearing in mind our higher than normal renewal was just over £180 for the year we thought it best to stay with Comfort.

David

Archived