Fridge igniter.

ribs

Hello to all, first time on here. We have an old Hymer that has an Electrolux RM2260 3-way fridge. When trying to use it on gas, it got harder and harder to light (once lit it worked fine) until finally it wouldn't light at all. The problem seemed to be it the igniter - when the red switch was pushed the flashing grew steadily weaker - now, no flash at all.

I've seen an igniter on ebay that is coded RV679 and is stated to be a replacement for the older type black unit that is on our fridge. All well and good, but it costs £64 - which is ok if it cures the problem, But knowing nowt about fridges, I'm a bit reluctant to shell out without having some idea that the igniter is the actual problem. Any ideas, can I check the old one and if so, how? Suggestions/advice gratefully received.

Regards, Brian.

A previous contributor suggested-

There are three basic problems:-

1) Piezo igniter burns away - spark doesn't spark to what it should - replace (take old one with you).

2) Rust builds up, creates poor contact - spark doesn't spark to what it should - check burner housing for rust, ensure self tapping screw is making good contact, check continuity with case of piezo button.

3) Said rust falls off and clogs up jet - gas doesn't come from right place, therefore does not light - clean out jet and burner housing, remove all rust (usually from chimney).

Sounds as if the fridge needs a thorough service. It's recommended they are serviced every 2 to 3 years, although in reality most people wait until it stops working.

Do you have easy access to the burner unit via the bottom external vent? If so, suggest you first remove the burner unit and give it a good clean, removing any rust that might prevent a good earth return to the igniter.

If that doesn't work then you can move onto the next stage with more confidence with the purchase of a new igniter unit.

If I were you, I'd get a mobile service technician to give it a service and sort the problem. It will cost you £200 + but at least you'll know it should be good for the next few years.

Pull the wire of the igniter, the spark wire and switch it on.

If you hear it spark, it is working.

My problem has always been bad connection at that joint.

Sparks getting worse and finally none.

Good clean of joint gets it running again, try it.

I have the fridge out and done as suggested - in terms of cleaning, de-rerusting and checking and cleaning connections. There was no spark, so I ordered the igniter yesterday afternoon - and it has arrived this morning! Got it from www.pjleisure.net I will fit it today and post the result.

Archived